User Tag List

Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    10,500 for a Tundra, i'm within grvw. We travel very light, I'll never max out the camper load. I've pulled the camper fully loaded and completely empty, no propane tanks installed. Couldn't tell the difference.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Polkadotti View Post
    UPDaTE: After having the deal on the gas hemi fall apart, the dealership offered me the diesel I6 Cummins for less money than the gas. The finance manager was trying to pull a fast one with the extended warranty so I said no and walked, then shopped it. Ultimately, my diligence paid off with a new RAM diesel 2500. Much happier with the deal and the truck as it will be more than enough for my 230RL and the set up I plan for boondocking.
    I would have gone with a diesel again but finding one in good shape with similar mileage to mine with the 5.9L common rail was coming up with nothing. I don’t want a diesel with any after treatment system. I deal with them enough every day as a diesel mechanic and tow truck operator, I don’t want the hassle on the weekends too. I know the mechanics at my local dealer and talk with them about both gas and diesel before making my purchase and they have not had to do anything other then oil changes and regular maintenance on the 6.4L hemi. Oh and mine has the platinum warranty including just about everything other then accidents for another 3 years and 100,000km with the option to add more so I should be ok there too

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Truck: 2005 Dodge 3500 diesel dually 6 speed crewcab with 9.5’ flatbed and 120g fuel capacity

Trailer: Sold - 2006 Fun Finder 240XXX (custom graphics)
    Current - 2019 GD 150 series Reflection 290BH

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Soon as Tesla builds a pickup I’m getting one. Especially if I can charge it using my generator!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Resistance is Not Futile, It's Voltage Divided by Current.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glad to see others watching their weight.

I have 2018 Chev 1500 max tow 6.2l. 11,700 tow, 10,500 fiver, 7600 gvwr, 1970 payload.

BUT... scales dont lie. After weighing my truck my unloaded weight was 5870lb. My new payload is 1730.

Add 2 passengers, fifth wheel hitch and only 70 extra pounds in the truck/bed I am down to 1200 payload.

I am looking at the new 260RD which has a 1325 tongue weight and 7225 dry weight. Now thats with one battery (maybe) and no water.

I am over on payload by 126lb and GVWR by 125lb.

The moral of the story is whether you own a Dodge, Ford or Chev half ton, dont go by stickers on the door jam or listen to a salesman. GO WEIGH YOUR TRUCK. Numbers dont lie. Most of you will find out like me that your over weight. Even with those highly advertised F150’s.

Sorry...

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really like the peace of mind of not having to worry if I'm within weight limits. I've been towing various campers and car haulers for 10+ years with an 01 F250 7.3 and now an 18 F350 6.7. I started out playing the game of trying to make weight and the wear and tear on everything involved was obvious. I had a 7k GVWR car hauler with a 5k lb Jeep on it. It worked, but the tires wore fast and the brakes were barely adequate. Truck handled it fine but the trailer was struggling. Upgraded to a 14k gooseneck and now there's no worry.

We have a 260RD on order. Well within the limits of my truck. It's just easier not having to worry. And it's just safer to have my tow rig be overkill. The 3/4 and 1 ton trucks out now are much more civilized than they used to be it just doesn't make sense to me to chance it with a half ton, regardless of GD's marketing. If I was a flatlander I might sing a different tune, but with just about all of my towing being in the mountains of CO I'd prefer to have too much truck. And it's more about having control and stability going DOWN than power going up. The exhaust brakes on the new diesels are awesome when towing, with a 10k load behind my truck I don't have to touch my brake pedal to maintain speed going down Vail or Eisenhower. In my old 7.3 with the same load it was always a challenge to control speed and not smoke the brakes.

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by BigDaveZJ; 02-09-2019 at 07:27 AM.
    2019 Reflection 150 260RD - 2018 Ford F350
    Rest of the fleet: 95 Grand Cherokee with a lot of stuff, 15 JKU Rubicon with less stuff, 98 5.9 Grand Cherokee with a little stuff

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can I tow with my F150 or whatever. Unless your towing your riding lawn mower or a simple electric car, skip the 250 or 2500 level as in 3/4's are not worth the money only to step up to the one ton trucks. Always when researching new vehicles see how much the payload of the truck can carry. Yellow sticker in the door jam
    2017 Ram 3500 DRW 6.7l 4x4 regular cab 3.73 gears 68rfe trans. Payload 6255lbs
    2016 Reflection 337rls

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We had a F150, King Ranch that had the Max Tow package,4x4 but with the short bed, EcoBoost 3.5. We research trailers and 5th wheel, although the hitch takes up a lot of room, it’s still a safer tow. We did upgrade the axel with ride right air bags, and with the GD 230RL pin weight just over 1100 pounds we thought it was a good match, well within the towable limits. We now have over 15000 miles towing this from AZ to eastern AR twice to upper MO and to Yellowstone NP. The combination goes up and down mountain roads 60-65 with no problems. We were looking at the 295 but thought that would push the limits. Would a 250 or 350 work better, well I’ll answer this way safety first. I had a friend that pulled a 40 foot 5th wheel with a 250, he gout a GD295 and he said he didn’t even know it was there

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just love those, 'didn't even notice it was there' statements. Maybe the driver doesn't, but the TV does as evidenced by lower mpg and higher temps pretty much everywhere.
    With my F250 PSD, the egt tells me something is there for sure. Thinking of getting a new truck maybe next year but not sure I need over 1000 ft-lb of torque, etc. The new diesels just don't seem very robust compared to the older ones due to all the emissions stuff, so am considering the 7.3 gas option...
    Dan and Rita
    2021 Reflection150 260RD, built June 2020, w/400W solar + 2 size 31 AGMs, added 2" lift blocks to match the
    2022 F350 SCSB 7.3 GdZa 4x4, 10 Sp w/4.30s - Lariat Sport in Atlas Blue

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was in the "Didn't notice it back there" crowd once. I had a Ram 2500 CTD and towed a 28" 9,000 lb 5er. It was by far the best towing setup I've owned. The CTD had way more than enough power and the LB CC Ram more than handled the 5er. It was literally a one hand/couple fingers on the wheel.
    I looked at it this way. Would you want your wife to drive if needed? I've had a few truck/TT combos that would be really scary for my wife to drive. I always told her if she had to drive the truck/5er that all she needs to do is push the TH and EB buttons and just forget you have a 5er behind you. Not literally but 99% of the time. The only time I was concerned about the 5er behind me was when I got in tight situations like fueling up or driving in tight CG's or through a town making turns.
    Other than that it was about as nonevent-full as you can get. Owned that combo for 6 years and miss it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Backup photos 001.jpg  
    Last edited by goducks14; 10-26-2020 at 09:34 AM.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Towing either of my fivers with the F350 as compared to towing with the F150 does in fact make you feel like nothing is back there. Especially now since the new truck has 1000 lb ft of torque
    Donald AKA johndeerefarmer
    2020 Ford F350 Powerstroke diesel
    2017 F150 ecoboost max tow
    2016 Reflection 29RS VIN# 573FR322XG3305717

Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast