Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

House battery charging question

When the trailer is on shore power, does it charge the house battery (or, is it "supposed" to charge the house battery)?
    2016 Grand Design Reflection 313RLTS
    2020 Riverstone 39FK
    2016 Ford F350 Super Duty 6.7L Powerstroke Lariat 2WD DRW

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jim1521 View Post
    When the trailer is on shore power, does it charge the house battery (or, is it "supposed" to charge the house battery)?
    When the trailer is plugged into shore power, the "converter" (battery charger) is supposed to charge the battery. The main battery disconnect switch has to be turned on for this to happen. Whether or not this is working, is easy to check with a voltmeter across the battery terminals. More than 13V means that the battery is being charged.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Rob. We were just out for the last 4 days, and the battery was pretty much dead when we began the trip. I plugged into shore power for 3 days, and the battery didn't have much juice at all (I had to plug it into the truck and start the truck to have enough juice to raise/lower the landing gear). I'm going to pull the battery today and put it on the bench and charge it.
    2020 Riverstone 39FK

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Could your disconnect switch be turned off. I accidently flipped mine while putting something away. Couldn't figure out why everything went dead at hookup.
    Arnold Warnes
    2017 Grand Design Reflection 303 RLS
    2004 Ford F350 Lariat 4x4 Dually

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No, it was definitely on the whole time.
    2020 Riverstone 39FK

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are two fuses on the converter that will blow instantly if the battery cables are accidentally reversed. I would check these fuses first. If everything else 12V was working off shore power while you were camping, this would be power from the converter, since the battery was almost dead. Check voltage across the battery before pulling it to learn if converter power is reaching the battery.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just pulled that battery and put it on the bench. I put it on the charger, and it showed 11%. Ten minutes later it showed 72%. It's now taken about 15 minutes for it to go from 72% to 73% so I'm pretty sure I've got a bad battery. Will continue to charge it, but I'm thinking I'm wasting electrons right now...

Can anybody recommend a good replacement battery? I'm also thinking of adding a second battery. Thoughts?

Current battery is Interstate SRM-24.
    2020 Riverstone 39FK

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Triple check your converter. With the battery pulled/ disconnected and on the bench do you have lights still in the camper? All the lights are 12v dc not 110 ac . No lights means no working converter to charge the battery. The camper should operate fine without the battery on shore power.

Jim
    2017 F350 Bronze Fire XLT short bed SuperCab, SRW power stroke Diesel, 3.31 rear end, 18" AT tires
    Demco hijacker autoslide hitch
    2018 303RLS VIN#: 573FR3329J3313328. Built 4/2017. Dual AC's, freestanding table/chairs
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The camper is parked at the storage lot; I don't have it here at the house, and there is no shore power there.

Whenever I have to use the landing gear, I have had to connect it to my truck and leave the truck running to have enough juice to raise/lower it. It will work for a very short time without the truck connected, so I know the battery is weak. Yesterday when we returned home and were unloading the trailer, I left the truck running with the trailer plugged in and operated the slides. Even with the truck connected, I eventually lost enough power that I couldn't complete opening one of the slides. I hooked my generator up to the trailer and was then able to complete the opening/closing of the slides. I'm guessing even though my truck has two batteries in it, the electrical path from the 7-pin plug isn't providing enough juice to the house battery. If I were to run a jumper cable from one of the truck batteries directly to the house battery, would this have allowed me to finish opening the slide?
    2020 Riverstone 39FK

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BabyBober View Post
    Triple check your converter. With the battery pulled/ disconnected and on the bench do you have lights still in the camper? All the lights are 12v dc not 110 ac . No lights means no working converter to charge the battery. The camper should operate fine without the battery on shore power.

Jim
    When I take the battery back to the trailer, I'll throw one of the generators in the truck bed and see if the lights work or not. Thanks!
    2020 Riverstone 39FK

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast