Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smile New Grand Design Reflection 230RL!

It has been a long journey, and a ton of research - yesterday we finally picked up our new 2018 230RL! We towed it about 40 miles to the storage facility where we will be keeping it between camping for awhile - and the tow experience was better than I expected, even with pretty strong Texas crosswinds. However, this was my first time towing a 5er, so I don't have other experiences to compare it to! We have our first shakedown camping experience set for next weekend in Galveston...

About 8 months ago, I joined this forum as part of my research on the best truck, hitch, and trailer to get for our new life experience. Many of the folks on this forum have provided LOTS of unbelievably helpful feedback and information - I can't tell you how much my wife and I appreciate your willingness to help newbie's like us!

We really look forward to seeing some of you at future Rallys!

Chad & Marisa

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Proud Owners - new 230RL.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	18.2 KB 
ID:	11702Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Reflection 230RL and Ford F150.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	14.7 KB 
ID:	11703

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congratulations Chad and Marisa ! Yours has been the best researched purchase process that I have ever seen . I am sure that you will be happy with your choices.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rob, thanks so much for the insight and recommendations along the way. Hopefully we will see you and Cate during our travels so we can thank you in person.

Chad

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Now that all the research is done the fun begins. Congrats. My wife and I are going to be going through Texas this summer. Maybe we'll see you on the road.
    Randy & Sharon (Went full time April 14th 2017)

2016 Ram CC SB Outdoorsman 4x4 CTD
    Michelin 295/70R18
    Fold-A-Cover G4 tonneau,
    Dee Zee truck bed mat,
    Dee Zee tailgate assist,
    Dodge Ram 4x4 Steering Gear Box Brace
    Fumoto oil drain valve,
    Husky floor liners,
    WeatherTech No Drill Mud Flaps,
    Firestone Ride-Rite Suspension Kit
    Reece Pro Series 20K lb 5th wheel hitch

2018 Solitude 375res
    8K lb axles, springs & hubs with Nev-R-Lube bearings
    MORryde HD shackle kit with brass bushings & wet bolts
    Reece Sidewinder 19K lb pin box.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My advice to a new owner would be take it for a short distance camping trip as soon as possible. This will give you the opportunity to check out all the appliances, holding tanks, electrical and plumbing. They don't check anything at the factory! It's all put in place and pushed out the door. When you go on the first trip you can shake it down and see what needs attention before that longer more important trip. Our fresh water tank would not hold any water, had a big crack in the side. Our AC made a horrible noise.....unable to use it. Now after saying this I will tell you Grand Design will stand behind their warranty!!! Good folks to deal with. If your selling dealer gives you any problems then contact Grand Design customer service!!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congratulations!!! I'm sure you're going to love the new Reflection.
    Safe travels.

Bob
    2023 Reflection 150 Series 260RD
    2022 Ford F350 SRW CC 4X4 Lariat 6.7 camper package, B&W Companion RVK3300

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the good advice, Likes to Tow! We "camped" in a section of the Dealer's lot the night we purchased the 230RL - everything worked except the TV, and the door needed adjusting. The Dealer received approval from GD to reimburse us for a new TV purchase (I bought a Samsung 40"), and they have ordered a new door since there is a bad "catch" in one of the door hinges. We are still working directly with our Sales Rep at Holiday World in Katy - he is awesome, and has been with us every step of the way. I know this is unusual and is not typical - he has told me a number of times that he doesn't want us to end up in a "black hole!" We are lucky we ended up with him as our rep! Also, we have a shakedown trip planned for this weekend in Galveston (about a 1.5 Hr drive) with several other folks that have trailers (and a lot of experience!).

One thing I did notice when we arrived at our Storage Facility - when backing, it seemed like there was a "clanking" sound from one of the axles - I'm wondering if this is due to brake shoes catching on the drum? I turned the brake gain down to 1 to see if it made a difference, but don't believe so. I will check this out again before our trip to Galveston.

Anyone have this same experience while backing?

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ctdecuir View Post
    Thanks for the good advice, Likes to Tow! We "camped" in a section of the Dealer's lot the night we purchased the 230RL - everything worked except the TV, and the door needed adjusting. The Dealer received approval from GD to reimburse us for a new TV purchase (I bought a Samsung 40"), and they have ordered a new door since there is a bad "catch" in one of the door hinges. We are still working directly with our Sales Rep at Holiday World in Katy - he is awesome, and has been with us every step of the way. I know this is unusual and is not typical - he has told me a number of times that he doesn't want us to end up in a "black hole!" We are lucky we ended up with him as our rep! Also, we have a shakedown trip planned for this weekend in Galveston (about a 1.5 Hr drive) with several other folks that have trailers (and a lot of experience!).

One thing I did notice when we arrived at our Storage Facility - when backing, it seemed like there was a "clanking" sound from one of the axles - I'm wondering if this is due to brake shoes catching on the drum? I turned the brake gain down to 1 to see if it made a difference, but don't believe so. I will check this out again before our trip to Galveston.

Anyone have this same experience while backing?
    Congrats on the 230rl! I haven't noticed any sounds when backing my 220rk
    Donald AKA johndeerefarmer
    2020 Ford F350 Powerstroke diesel
    2017 F150 ecoboost max tow
    2016 Reflection 29RS VIN# 573FR322XG3305717

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congratulations. Nice looking rig. Clunking from the area of the axles when backing and turning at the same time seems to be a fairly normal occurrence. I get it on ours even with wet bolts and bronze bushings although it seems to be less after lubing the wet bolts. There is some play between the springs and the spring hangers and I think the noise comes from the springs sliding across the bolt until it hits the spring hanger. If you are just backing straight then it's probably something else and warrants getting it checked out. Another thought you might wiggle each hub cap on the wheels and see that they are all firmly in place.
    Jim & Georgianne
    N. California
    2016 Reflection 29RS
    2008 Ford F-250 Super Duty PSD
    B&W Companion hitch
    Rubber turtle with no name

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, Donald - I have been watching your posts for a long time! They have been extremely helpful as part of my research. Btw, I noticed that the "clanking" noise only happened when I was turning while backing the trailer - not when I was just backing in a straight line. Btw, I have to also say that this was my first backing experience, and there were more than a few "back and forth" maneuvers that I went through to get the trailer square in the the Storage slot .

Luckily, there was no one else there to witness that it took me a REALLY long time to get the trailer backed in correctly and the barrage of somewhat heated communication that went on with my wife who patiently directed me from outside the truck! Something tells me there is a rear mount Furrion observation camera coming in the near future!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast