Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Using propane for the fridge while traveling

HI. We have a 2017 303 reflections and was wondering how many people have their propane on to keep their fridge running while traveling. I read that this is not safe to do and against the law in some states and provinces, is this true and has anyone had any issues with doing this. Last year we did not run with the propane on and the fridge would keep cold for 4-6 hours but it was not a hot summer. Thanks

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Always run our fridge when on the road. Sometimes turn fridge off when refuelling depending on pump location
    John & Joanne
    2018 Solitude 374TH
    2018 GMC 3500HD Duramax CC DRW
    2001 Harley Ultra Classic

Site Sponsor
    Kerrville, TX RV parks through April 2020
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A blown tire could tear up propane lines and start a fire, but that never happens on a RV. How about some ice/dry ice?
    AKA Steve and Lynne
    Storm the Black Lab
    Reflection 337 RLS vin 573FR3628E3300393
    2008 Dodge Ram 2500 Quad Cab Longbox
    6.7 Cummins, 68 RFE transmission
    B and W Companion, Air Lifts

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the site. I see this is your first post and you are a trial memeber. There is lots of debate and threads on this subject. Many say yes, many no... Suggest you use the search tool in the upper right to pull up old threads on this subject.

Jim
    2017 F350 Bronze Fire XLT short bed SuperCab, SRW power stroke Diesel, 3.31 rear end, 18" AT tires
    Demco hijacker autoslide hitch
    2018 303RLS VIN#: 573FR3329J3313328. Built 4/2017. Dual AC's, freestanding table/chairs
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I do as many others do - run with it on. That said, it is an open flame when in a gas station.....
    There have been a few times in 90-95 degree weather where we have gone 8-10 hours with it off, and everything is still cold/frozen. So keep it full, even with just ice in the freezer, and it can maintain for a very long time even if turned off. The second most common question is how long it takes to get cold. Many turn it on a day before they load it. Far better, and less wear and tear, is turn it on and then to load it plum full with already cold stuff. Ice, beer, or real food. Then it will maintain from the start. Avoid big pots of warm chili or similar - it will heat everything else up before the fridge manages to get it all cool again.
    2017 Imagine 2670MK
    2012 F-150 SCrew, Eco, 4x4 6.5 box
    Max. Tow, HD Payload, Airbags, ProPride hitch
    (Previous: Jayco 26.5RLS Fifth, Revolution Pinbox)

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sande005 View Post
    I do as many others do - run with it on. That said, it is an open flame when in a gas station.....
    There have been a few times in 90-95 degree weather where we have gone 8-10 hours with it off, and everything is still cold/frozen. So keep it full, even with just ice in the freezer, and it can maintain for a very long time even if turned off. The second most common question is how long it takes to get cold. Many turn it on a day before they load it. Far better, and less wear and tear, is turn it on and then to load it plum full with already cold stuff. Ice, beer, or real food. Then it will maintain from the start. Avoid big pots of warm chili or similar - it will heat everything else up before the fridge manages to get it all cool again.
    We do run ours on propane while traveling. I agree with keeping it full and plugging it in the day before to get it good and cold before you hit the road. Good luck!
    The Adams - 2017 Reflection 367BHS, 2019 F-350 6.7L PSD 4x4 CC DRW, B&W hitch on Ford pucks, Air Lift Loadlifter 5000 Ultimate Plus air bags, "Rupert" the Weimaraner.

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kevinpo View Post
    Just to clarify:
    These modern units use a heating element to evaporate the condensate not an open flame.

Regards,
    Kevin
    I must disagree in electric mode they use a heating element. In propane mode there is absolutely a flame to heat the ammonia. Assuming you actually have a propane fridge ( you don’t list your unit in your signature so it is possible you have a residential fridge), put it in gas mode, go outside and open up your access panel. You will find a small flame...
    2017 F350 Bronze Fire XLT short bed SuperCab, SRW power stroke Diesel, 3.31 rear end, 18" AT tires
    2018 303RLS VIN#: 573FR3329J3313328. Built 4/2017. Dual AC's, freestanding table/chairs
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I must disagree in electric mode they use a heating element.
    Jim,
    My bad, you are correct! Brain fart for sure. Thanks for the correction.

To the OP. If your fridge is capable you may be able to select DC power to run the fridge while traveling to avoid using the LPG.

Regards,
    Kevin
    2015 Ram Laramie 3500 4x4 LB Dually Crew Cab
    6.7L I6 Cummins Turbo Diesel Engine 5th wheel Prep
    68RFE Transmission Auto Level Rear Air Suspension 3.73 gears

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jim,
    My bad, you are correct! Brain fart for sure. Thanks for the correction.

To the OP. If your fridge is capable you may be able to select DC power to run the fridge while traveling to avoid using the LPG.

Regards,
    Kevin
    No problems.... The technical term for a brain Fart is a “Cranial Rectal Inversion”...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Regards,
    Kevin
    I've never seen an RV refrigerator run on DC alone. They either run on propane (using 12V DC for the control board) or 110V AC depending on which mode you are using at the time. I have not explored using an inverter to run our fridge in electric mode but I'm sure it's possible.

I'm in the camp that it's perfectly okay to run on propane while traveling. The flow control valve at the tank will prevent catastrophic leakage in case of a bad event occurring.

John
    2018 Silverado LTZ 3500HD CC LB 4X4 DRW Duramax/Allison
    2019 Momentum 381M w/Full Body Paint
    2016 Can Am Spyder F3 Limited Special Series
    2017 Can Am Outlander 1000 XT-P
    2016 Wrangler Hard Rock Unlimited
    1997 Bayliner Capri 1950 affectionately named Skinnydipper
    MSgt, USAF (Ret)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast