User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is Curt a good choice?

I have been doing research on fifth wheel hitches for a new trailer that we are considering (a Reflection 295RL).

I’ve read a lot about how good B&W is, as well as plenty of votes for Anderson. But the hitch shops around here all seem to recommend the Curt A16 non-slider. I have found very little about this hitch online. What I like about it is that it’s relatively lightweight and the head is removable for easier installation and removal.

All the hitch shops also noted how well the warranty is honored if you have problems.

Are these hitches any good?

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    B&W heads are removable as well. B&W=made in the USA.
    Curt=made in China.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree the B&W is probably the better hitch, but it’s also 50# heavier and I’m tight on payload already. Looking for the best “lightweight” 16k hitch I can find.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had a Q16 Curt hitch (A16 replaced it). I pulled a Reflection 27rl with the hitch very happy with the performance of the hitch. But keep something in mind. You may want to go bigger in a rv some day and yes the B&W is a better hitch with some of the better pin box’s. A friend has a Trailair Rota-Flex pin box on his fifth wheel and had noise problems with the Curt hitch. Curt suggested to lock out his pin box with a kit that’s made to do such a thing and it would help, it did. Point being he had a better pin box then the standard one which is supposed to give better towing etc. and locking it out made it not a worth while pin box to have. His trailer is a Solitude 379fl that comes standard with that pin box. He bought a B&W hitch and is very pleased with it no problems using the pin box the way it was designed. Just something to think about even on resale. Iam using his old A20 Curt hitch with a standard lippert 1620 pin box, it’s fine.

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a Curt Q24 (non-slider). The clearance between the jaws and the king pin seem to be on the excessive side. There is always noise due to the extra space in there (I've read other people with the same issue). I originally wanted the B + W Companion, but it was rated at 20k, and my trailer GVWR is also 20k; I felt I should leave some more buffer room there to be on the safe side (A B + W rep at an RV show agreed). If I was to do it all over again, I would not purchase the Curt and go with something else. If I decide it bothers me enough to replace it I will most likely go with a Pullrite, unless B + W comes out with a higher rated hitch for the Ford puck system.
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 242 checkmate View Post
    A friend has a Trailair Rota-Flex pin box on his fifth wheel and had noise problems with the Curt hitch. Curt suggested to lock out his pin box with a kit that’s made to do such a thing and it would help, it did. Point being he had a better pin box then the standard one which is supposed to give better towing etc. and locking it out made it not a worth while pin box to have. His trailer is a Solitude 379fl that comes standard with that pin box. He bought a B&W hitch and is very pleased with it no problems using the pin box the way it was designed. Just something to think about even on resale. Iam using his old A20 Curt hitch with a standard lippert 1620 pin box, it’s fine.
    I had not considered the issue of compatibility of the hitch with the Turning Point pin box that is on this rig. So some hitches work better than others with this type of pin box?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a Curt Q25. I'm very happy with it. It is the first 5th wheel & hitch that I've owned so can not compare to others. I've towed about 5000 miles with it.
    Pam & Ed
    "Just Kruse'n"

Momentum 376TH (New 11/04/2016)
    Full Timing since 11/04/2016
    2017 Ram 3500 DRW Aisin 3.73

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a Curt A16, and I use the standard Lippert 1620 Pin Box that my Reflection came with, and it feels solid when I tow. I do get some creaking noises, but I assume those are coming from the suspension when cornering slowly. I am going to change to a 5th Airborne or Mor-Ryde suspension pin box this year, as I get a lot of chugging on our crappy highways. Any opinions on which to choose? The annual RV show is this weekend, time to go look for a deal!

Greg
    Greg & Lisa (and the Yorkies - Rocky & Adrian)
    Winnipeg, MB
    2017 Grand Design Reflection 29RS
    2010 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LTZ Duramax

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a Curt Q20 that I've been using the past year pulling our 371 Fuzion and its been great. Picking up the new 377 Solitude Saturday and anxious to see how that one pulls. New trailer is roughly 300 lbs less on the pin weight. They claim to be made in the USA also!
    Last edited by Cajun Couple; 03-14-2018 at 06:12 PM.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A Reese 16,000# hitch was installed on my F150 for towing a 295rl. Easy to use. Just make certain the trailer hitch plate is 1/2" to 1" below the level Reese plate when hitching. The fifth-wheel hitch is removable from the rails by pulling a few cotter pins. Was installed at a trailer dealer.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast