User Tag List

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    A rolling stone....we're in Tucson, Az. now.
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    FYI.....any of the guys and gals that are NRVIA certified RV Inspectors are also trained and certified to do fluid samples. You can get your oil, transmission and coolant fluids drawn and they are then sent in to one of the three labs for analysis and you'll get a report in just a few days.

This report doesn't only tell you what's going on with your fluids, it also tells you what's going on with the inside of your motor. It analyzes quite a number of different metals and it shows you what's "normal" vs. an excessive or very high and it spells it out in lay terms to where anybody can understand it.

You will need to know the date of the last fluid change, the exact product that was put in, etc.
    SOLD my 2017 Momentum 376TH being pulled by a 2014 Ford F-350 Lariat, FX-4, Crew Cab, Longbed, Dually. Not pulling the 5er, catch me on my 2013 CVO Harley Ultra Classic.

Map = states that we've stayed at least one night in our RV.

http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/AR...TNTXUTWYsm.jpg

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LV Naturist View Post
    Just to toot my horn a little, I've been a heavy duty diesel mechanic for over 40 years, currently the swing shift garage supervisor for the local school district. We have over 1,700 buses in our fleet. As has been said, oil is cheap insurance. Having said that, over-maintaining is a waste of hard earned dollars. Believe it or not, I change my oil at 5,000 miles, which on my dash is roughly 40% remaining. I also change my fuel filter every 10,000 miles. I could go longer, but I find every other oil change is optimal. Low fuel pressure because of a partly blocked fuel filter is not good for modern high pressure fuel pumps. Also, it's easy to remember. On the oils, synthetic is good, no argument from me. But unless you are looking for extended intervals, you're not really gaining much. JMHO. I use Shell Rotella T 15W40. This oil meets the latest diesel specs (CK-4) and is low ash. Mobil Delvac 1300 Super is also a high quality oil. Low ash is very important for your modern diesel emission control systems. As for filters, I'm very confident using WIX filters. We have used these in our fleet for decades and have never had a filter related malfunction. They are not that hard to find, in fact NAPA Gold filters are rebranded WIX. Part numbers are even the same. Just don't get shocked when you pay over $50 for their premium fuel filter. IMHO it's worth it. Okay, guess i should get off the internet and get back to work...

John
    Rotella T is a very good oil. Although it's not what it used to be. Rotella T used to have lead in it which was a very good lubricant for the engine. Since the manufacturer's had to start putting converters on the diesel engines Rotella had to take the lead out as it would plug up the converters.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I change oil and filter about every 7500 miles and change fuel filters every 15000 miles.
    The Capt and the Admiral
    Joe & Marilyn
    2017 Solitude 384 GK-R
    2017 F350 DRW FX4 6.7 PS, B&W Companion
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Had an 01 7.3L in my F-250 changed oil 5-7500 miles, fuel filter every other oil change and air once a year. Used Delo 400 and bought filters from the International dealer. He also tested my coolant for free. Traded it with 233k miles. New truck still 5-7500 miles on oil and been letting the dealer change everything else when needed. Pay the dealer as the concrete gets colder and harder
    Lyle & Judy and Annie the Westie
    Retired (Government employee/USMC/USAFR, Ret) & Retired (insurance industry)
    2018 F-350 CC LB DRW 4X4 6.7 (3.55)(Reese 18k "puck system")
    2018 Solitude 310GK (5500 Onan Genset)
    2020 F-150 SCSB XLT 2.7L 10 speed

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I have a pretty good deal with my truck. I purchased a Maintenance for Life plan from my dealer. In includes a diesel oil change, filter, tire rotation, battery test and safety inspection every time the oil change required light comes on. It was $1000, but if you know the price of oil and filter changes on diesel trucks, it won't take very long to make this up. Air and fuel filters are extra when needed.

Jim

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tomstacey616 View Post
    I own a 2008 F350 (6.4PSD) with modifications but I religiously change my oil every 4-5k miles using full Mobil 1 5-40 synthetic turbo diesel oil and change the fuel filters every 10k miles. OEM Motorocraft filters only too.
    I just changed the oil in my 08 D-Max last night for the first time. I was just about to pour in the Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck Synthetic oil when I checked for the CJ-4 rating and guess what? No CJ-4 rating. So off to the parts store for something better. Rotella Synthetic with CJ-4 proudly displayed on the front of their bottle https://4wdlife.com/best-oil-for-pow...ell-Rotella-T6 Guess what oil I'm running? The owners manual is very specific for the CJ-4 rated oil and even goes as far as saying problems with anything not CJ-4 rated will not be covered under their warranty. I'm surprised at Mobil 1. I thought they of all people would meet the CJ-4 requirement.

Just my. 02

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My diesel is the last of the 7.3's, and it is now 16 years old and 150K miles. I change the 15 quarts of oil myself every 5000 miles like clockwork because I can keep up with it easily. I buy Motorcraft 15W40 dino oil purchased at Walmart in 5 quart jugs. If I bought other brands in one gallon jugs, I'd have to buy a quart too much or three single quarts to make the 15 quarts needed--wasting money either way.

I just drive the truck up on plastic ramps, and the oil change takes 1/2 hour and is often the most peaceful time of my week.

Note: Walmart has our cheapest prices on motor oil, as they purchase the stuff by the train load. Autozone, Advance and O'Reilly's also purchase oil in great volumes, but they are not really that competitive on pricing usually.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can't really over-maintain a rig...but, as was pointed out earlier, you need to be smart about it. It does go back in to our environment somewhere.

Oil analysis tells you when stuff needs to refreshed. I was just gonna change oil, fuel filter and tranny fluid/filter every year, but then I got to thinking of the racing days. We always had all of our fluids checked after each race. We knew by the samples if something was going wrong with an assembly. Even back then, we didn't dump a bunch of good petro back into the earth. That said, the guy that has the rack I use to work on my truck also heats the shop with oil. It can work both ways...

Still, for most people, more frequent than necessary, is not always the best choice, financially or environmentally. If you are actually driving your tow rig for daily use, using the dash mileage is a good idea. Mine is a 2006 and has oil and fuel filter change intervals that display on the dash. The mileage interval functions of most newer vehicles, really do monitor a lot of data fields and there is much information that is programmed into this. I would encourage anyone that is on a fixed schedule to get an analysis...I think you would be really surprised at how good your fluids really are. And, you might get a heads up on another issue that might strand yer ******...LOOL
    2018 Reflection 303RLS
    2006 Chev 2500HD Duramax CC/SB/4X4
    Superglide2700 Bakflip F1

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you want to change your own oil on your diesel right now Amazon sell a 3 gallon box of Rotella T 6 for $46.69 and Shell is offering a $21 rebate. That’s only $2.14/qt for high quality synthetic. You can do up to 4 rebates so if you want to stock it’s a good time.

Samsclub link: https://www.samsclub.com/sams/shell-...lp_product_1_5

Rebate: https://rotella.shell.com/en_us/coup...Rpb25hbDE4Lw==
    Jerry & Linda
    Emma & Abby our Mini Golden Doodles & JR our Amazon Parrot
    2017 Reflection 337RLS, Build Date 01/2017, Titan Disk Brakes, Goodyear G614s 235/85/16 G Rated tires
    2022 F-450 King Ranch Ultimate, 4,868 lb Payload, Bedrug Bedliner, Andersen Ultimate II Aluminum 5th wheel hitch
    http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/FLGANCSCsm.jpg

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rapid1 View Post
    You can't really over-maintain a rig...but, as was pointed out earlier, you need to be smart about it. It does go back in to our environment somewhere.

Oil analysis tells you when stuff needs to refreshed. I was just gonna change oil, fuel filter and tranny fluid/filter every year, but then I got to thinking of the racing days. We always had all of our fluids checked after each race. We knew by the samples if something was going wrong with an assembly. Even back then, we didn't dump a bunch of good petro back into the earth. That said, the guy that has the rack I use to work on my truck also heats the shop with oil. It can work both ways...

Still, for most people, more frequent than necessary, is not always the best choice, financially or environmentally. If you are actually driving your tow rig for daily use, using the dash mileage is a good idea. Mine is a 2006 and has oil and fuel filter change intervals that display on the dash. The mileage interval functions of most newer vehicles, really do monitor a lot of data fields and there is much information that is programmed into this. I would encourage anyone that is on a fixed schedule to get an analysis...I think you would be really surprised at how good your fluids really are. And, you might get a heads up on another issue that might strand yer ******...LOOL
    Every one of my oil changes gets sent out to Blackstone Labs. It costs me about $28 per sample and it gives me great peace of mind. I have a lifetime warranty on the powertrain so keeping good records may come in handy one day (hopefully I'll never have to use it).
    2016 Grand Design Reflection 313RLTS
    2020 Riverstone 39FK
    2016 Ford F350 Super Duty 6.7L Powerstroke Lariat 2WD DRW

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast