User Tag List

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I probably shouldn't be here since I have a gas engine. But I change all my own oil to save money since I use synthetic. The syn oil changes are way overpriced and I don't really trust that they are using the oil I spec. Now I had some work done at the dealer a few weeks back and so had them change the oil. Well, that was "messed" up. I crawled under the other day to my oil change and took about 30 minutes to get the drain plug off. They must have used an impact. Stripped out the hex and had to use a vise grip. (Like the old days when I was a kid and too poor to buy a new plug.) I'm now back to changing my own oil - I should never have strayed..

But my next TV will be a diesel so I'm soaking up all this knowledge so thanks. Looks like I'll be in for some fun.

And how come no one ever told me about this Fumoto Valve? This looks like a life saver.
    Last edited by howson; 01-18-2019 at 05:14 PM. Reason: forum discourages even creative cussing--replaced with "messed"
    Bill and Kim
    2019 Imagine 2670 MK, Equalizer WDH
    2020 Ford F250, 7.3 l gas

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bertschb View Post
    Kind of off topic so my apologies in advance....

If I knew for a fact that the oil change place actually changed the oil and filters and used the oil and filters they said they would use, I would consider having somebody else change my fluids. But, there are a ton of videos on Youtube where investigative reporters have placed hidden cameras in vehicles and marked oil and air filters to see if they got changed then took them to oil change shops. I think in one video they visited 30 different places and the majority of them either didn't change the oil or filters or both. Crazy!

In another example of oil change fails, the C7 Corvette Z06 has two oil drain plugs. There are a ton of reports on the Corvette forum of people picking their cars up with way too much oil because the dude changing the oil didn't pull both drain plugs (which doesn't drain all the oil) but added the full amount of oil (without checking the oil level afterwards). Overfilling can be bad!!

Doing my own maintenance is messy sometimes but I know it's done right and with the highest quality parts. Once I get a vehicle figured out, I can usually do it quickly and cleanly.

Back on topic...
    I use the truck's computers to determine when I change the oil and fuel filters
    Brian,
    I have payed an oil change outfit $20.00 to use my filter and oil. I would have never asked until I had seen a buddy do this. Since they rarely use OEM filters, have them dump the oil, install your oil and filter and return the empty bottles to you.
    Last edited by MidwestCamper; 01-17-2019 at 05:51 PM.
    MidwestCamper

Jim & Dawn
    Near Milford, Michigan
    2017 Imagine 2600RB
    2015 GMC Sierra 1500 Double Cab 4x4

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by D2Reid View Post
    Thanks for sharing, it sounds like one of my mechanical misadventures. You forgot to factor in the price of band-aids to help cover the scraped knuckles, when those filters let lose you had to have banged something, I know I do. And the other hidden expense is the stains on your latest souvenir t-shirt. For whatever reason I forget to change t-shirts, thusly, my favorite shirt, the one I wear the most, gets ruined. Just be thankful your wife's kitchen towels weren't the closest towels to mop up the diesel. Not that I have ever done that.....
    Been there done that! A lot of times I think I should just cut myself and pay the skinned knuckle gods with blood right off just to save time!!

TV service intervals, what oil, filters aftermarket or OEM. There are lots of other forums for that discussion, like the Cummins forum.

Keeping this discussion to mainly service of our TV and RVs, getting regular service maintenance done depends a lot on a persons situation. While we still have our sticks & bricks and my shop I'll continue to do my own TV / RV maintenance. Unless a dealership has a really reasonable service price and they do the job right. On my RV wheel bearings and brake service, had a dealership do it once, that was enough to teach me a lesson.

When we go fulltime, it just will not be practical to do it myself. Carry around a dirty oil container catch can, dispose of nasty used oil & gas filters, find some place near by that will take used oil & filters. Trying to jack up your RV on site to pull your tires and bearings. Who wants the added weight to carry around the tools, jacks and stands to do this? Even if a camp ground would allow it. Then I'll have to bite the bullet and pay up. Even then you may not be safe, we all know what happened to Jim and his rig!

The RV environment / life is changing though. The need is there for more owner rig servicing options, people and companies see the advantage to fill that need and are stepping up in some places.
    Sometimes closer to bigger towns & cities, their are independent service companies that will service your TV or RV on site, such as washing, oil change service, RV bearing/brakes service at your RV onsite, if a camp ground allows it. Some camp grounds / resorts have a maintenance person on site that will do RV repairs and service. One such camp ground guy I talked to said he would do a TV oil change if I supplied the oil and filter and he wasn't busy with an RV. Even so it may get back to the trust factor, do you trust them to do it right.

Don't know of any TV or RV dealerships that go out to remote sites to do regular service maintenance like this. There maybe some.
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BabyBober View Post
    I am with Jim, the amount of diagnostics and sensors testing everything is there for a reason. My truck knows exactly how many miles I am towing, how much boost the turbo gives, etc. I have 6k on my ‘17 now. Before it went into the barn for the winter I still had app 2k to go before the computer said I need an oil change. Unfortunately the computer also now knows the truck hit 1 yr old last week and says, tough, time to do it now...

Jim
    Jim,
    There are no sensors. This is a model that is developed and calibrated through extensive testing in a dyno lab with a great deal of oil analysis.
    Jim
    MidwestCamper

Jim & Dawn
    Near Milford, Michigan
    2017 Imagine 2600RB
    2015 GMC Sierra 1500 Double Cab 4x4

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MidwestCamper View Post
    Jim,
    There are no sensors. This is a model that is developed and calibrated through extensive testing in a dyno lab with a great deal of oil analysis.
    Jim
    But clearly it is not a static model and is taking input from the data being logged by the cpu and it's "sensors", no?
    Jeff and Jen
    2016 F250 CC Lariat 4x4 6.7L, Firestone Airbags, Pullrite Superglide
    2017 Solitude 310GK, a little solar, a little lithium, disc brakes and a few suspension mods

Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For those of you that utilize the Fumoto valve, me included, I opened the valve and emptied the oil pan. Then I decided to remove the valve and found that it drained another half quart. The half quart was significant, but then I started to worry about the heavier contaminants lying on the floor of the pan, not being expelled due to the lip on the valve sticking above the drain hole. Is it just me being paranoid, or does anybody else see this as an issue ?

Quote Originally Posted by TheLexx View Post
    You may want to look into installing a Fumoto valve to replace the oil drain plug. It makes changing your oil a lot easier. You can hook up some clear tubing to the Fumoto valve nipple and run that into old milk jugs. It makes doing the oil change a lot easier.

https://www.genosgarage.com/product/...a/drain-valves

As for the oil filter, there are ways to remotely mount your oil filter to a more convenient location.

https://www.amazon.com/Pacbrake-PacP...a-607645578385
    Gordo Fuchs
    Northfield, Ohio 44067
    2015 305RE Moryde I/S, Electric/hydraulic disc brakes
    2008 Dodge Ram 3500 Cummins

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gordofuchs View Post
    For those of you that utilize the Fumoto valve, me included, I opened the valve and emptied the oil pan. Then I decided to remove the valve and found that it drained another half quart. The half quart was significant, but then I started to worry about the heavier contaminants lying on the floor of the pan, not being expelled due to the lip on the valve sticking above the drain hole. Is it just me being paranoid, or does anybody else see this as an issue ?
    That's definitely a concern, but folks have been doing it for years with no reported problems. I do know that someone on the Subaru forum using a Fumoto, actually measured the thickness of the pan and cut off the excess length on the Fumoto. They didn't have any problems as a result of the modification.
    2017 Ford F450 - our kids call her "Big Red"
    2018 Grand Design Reflection 28bh

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On topic of oil change intervals, I would have no problem with the 10,000 miles interval. Modern HDEO motor oils are light years ahead of the last century's HDEO varieties. Heavy commercial truck engine makers (Cummins, Navistar, Paccar, Volvo/Mack, Detroit) all have oil change intervals of 35,000 miles on up thru 70,000 miles. Sure, they have bigger oil sumps, but so do the diesel engines in the HD pickups from the Big 3 have larger oil sumps than their gasser brethren.

If one has doubts, then run the oil change up to 10K and take a oil sample and send it in for analysis. All of about $25. It will tell you if the oil is still good at that interval. Do it a couple of times and if all things look good then get you paranoia gland put back in check and rest easy with 10K / 1 year interval.

The reman 2000 Detroit 12.7 Series 60 engine in my commercial truck is at about 1,010,800 miles on the reman. It gets oil changes at 22,500 miles. It has never been opened for a repair. Still works regularly. Only uses about 1 quart of oil in 11,000 miles. I even did 10,000 mile oil changes on a 2006 Jeep Liberty 2.8L diesel. Did great. Sold it to my son a few years ago.
    Last edited by Copperhead; 08-30-2019 at 06:22 AM.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456