User Tag List

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Diesel Truck Oil Change Intervals

Do you guys trust the oil change interval system in modern trucks that alerts you to whenever an oil change needs to be done? It is supposed to take a variety of factors into consideration such as amount of towing, temps, amount of idling, etc to determine when an oil change is due.

I read on a Ford website that has maintenance info on it that their recommendation is changing at 10,000 miles or 1 year, whichever comes first. You would think it would say "change your oil whenever our oil indicators shows you should change it" if they trusted they system themselves.

The dealer I bought the truck from recommends 5000 miles changes but of course, they have a service dept to feed..... They claimed 5K is needed due to the "Texas heat" but the computer is supposed to factor temps in the equation.

Also, synthetic or regular oil?

I'm a new diesel truck owner, sorry if this has already been discussed, could not find it when searching.

Thanks.
    Rick & Candi - Dallas, TX

2017 Ford F350 6.7L DRW
    2018 3150BH Imagine
    Blue Ox Swaypro Hitch

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just my thoughts on the oil change intervals. I by no means am an expert but have had a diesel since 2003. I had the same question when I bought my truck new all those years ago when those systems first came out. I spoke with the mechanic at the service department of the dealership that was doing some of my original service and he said what I thought was a good point. His statement was well you just paid about 10K for that engine and a few extra oil changes really don’t cost that much.
    Since that time I met a guy who has become a good friend who worked for an oil company for years and then he owned 3 grease monkey franchise’s in my town, I asked him the same thing ( realize the conflict of interest here) but he said the oil will last that long but the newer additive’s in the oils start to break down in the 3K to 4K range and can start to cause problems. Again no expert but this guy drove a dodge diesel and did the regular 3K oil changes and all the other recommended services and his truck has over 400K on it and still running well with no engine issue’s.
    I am new to this site and this is actually my first post. I am picking up a 2018 303 RLS tomorrow and quite excited.
    Hope this helps.

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you're towing, I'd go with the heavy duty usage or towing recommended intervals in your manual.

If cost is an issue, and you're up to it, you can DIY the oil change. One trick to make it easier is to install a Fumoto valve to make your oil changes easier. You can get a version with a nipple to which you can attach a piece of hose to drain the oil into a container with no mess.

Also look up on youtube how to puch a hole in the oil filter with a nail to drain all the oil out, so that doesn't make a big mess when you remove it.
    http://www.fumotousa.com/results.php...8+DIESEL+Turbo

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    My belief is that if the manufacturer spent a large investment to develop a system to notify me when a change is due, I'll follow it.

Jim

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am with Jim, the amount of diagnostics and sensors testing everything is there for a reason. My truck knows exactly how many miles I am towing, how much boost the turbo gives, etc. I have 6k on my ‘17 now. Before it went into the barn for the winter I still had app 2k to go before the computer said I need an oil change. Unfortunately the computer also now knows the truck hit 1 yr old last week and says, tough, time to do it now...

Jim
    2017 F350 Bronze Fire XLT short bed SuperCab, SRW power stroke Diesel, 3.31 rear end, 18" AT tires
    Demco hijacker autoslide hitch
    2018 303RLS VIN#: 573FR3329J3313328. Built 4/2017. Dual AC's, freestanding table/chairs
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I own a 2008 F350 (6.4PSD) with modifications but I religiously change my oil every 4-5k miles using full Mobil 1 5-40 synthetic turbo diesel oil and change the fuel filters every 10k miles. OEM Motorocraft filters only too.
    Tom and Stacey
    TV - 2008 F350 Lariat DRW, 6.4 (done up) 8"bed, B&W3000 OEM Companion, Firestone Airbags w/ Wireless One compressor
    RV - 2018 GD Momentum 351M

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BabyBober View Post
    I am with Jim, the amount of diagnostics and sensors testing everything is there for a reason. My truck knows exactly how many miles I am towing, how much boost the turbo gives, etc. I have 6k on my ‘17 now. Before it went into the barn for the winter I still had app 2k to go before the computer said I need an oil change. Unfortunately the computer also now knows the truck hit 1 yr old last week and says, tough, time to do it now...

Jim
    I agree. The only time I change my oil a little early is when I'll be on the road for an extended period of time. Manufacturers wouldn't make these recommendations if there was a chance of increased costly warranty claims.

Bob
    2023 Reflection 150 Series 260RD
    2022 Ford F350 SRW CC 4X4 Lariat 6.7 camper package, B&W Companion RVK3300

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Former mechanic but by no means an expert, I change oil & filter every 5k and fuel filter every 10k feel it is a cheap investment in the truck.
    David, Victoria & Scout

2018 Ford F-350 CCLB DRW Metallic Power stroke diesel
    2017 310-GK R

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have my oil and filter changed every 5,000 miles and my fuel filter every 15,000 miles. Mostly because it's easier to remember without writing it down. I'm told you can fudge a bit on the oil changes but the fuel filter is very important for long engine life. 165,000 miles and pulling stronger than ever.
    John & Carol Souza
    Happily Retired and currently living in Cottonwood, Northern California
    2015 Solitude 368RD
    2010 RAM 3500 DIESEL

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    FWIW . . . all OEM engine durability testing (dyno and vehicle) is done using the oil recommended in the owners manual (usually not synthetic) changed per the oil life monitor calculation.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast