Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tell me about your best day camping

Just got back from a business trip. During dinner, the guy I was working with and I were discussing RVs. He and his wife have discussed getting one in a few years.

He brought up an interesting topic. “Tell me about your best day camping.”

Since we were discussing RVs, I glossed over some remote backpacking trips and tent camping excursions with the kids and went with this:

I woke up about 7, which is a lot later than I get up at home. I dressed, turned on the coffee maker and took the dogs for a walk. Back to the camper and my wife met me at the door with a mug of coffee. We sat in our chairs outside watching squirrels playing in the colorful fall leaves. We grabbed a little breakfast and headed out for a longer walk. Came back to the campsite and sat down in the sun to read for a couple of hours.

Took a nap, then drove to town to try a barbecue place we’d heard about. Back to the site to start preparation of Dutch oven chicken pot pie and cobbler. Did a little more reading, but in the shade this time. Rumors of a second nap are probably an exaggeration. Took a bike ride, then got the fire going for supper.

Friends from another site joined us for supper with ice cream for the cobbler and a bottle of wine. We sat by the fire after supper with full bellies drinking a little wine, a little beer and some good conversation. We retired when the ladies decided it was too cold. My wife fell asleep with her head on my shoulder.

I plan to repeat this outrageous behavior as often as possible for the rest of my days!

What is your version?
    John & Kathy
    2014 F250 Lariat FX4 6.2L SBCC
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    SW Indiana

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't pull out one best day of camping. There are so many excellent adventures, they kind of blurr into each other. All I can really say about it is I am very thankful I can live like this.
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are no bad days camping - just some that are more memorable (both good and better). We're trying to relive our misspent youth that we spent in a tent.

John & Kathy - it sounds very stressful, but you'll soon learn to relax. <G>
    John and Jean
    Springer Spaniel furkids Mea and (the late) Molly
    Blogs - BataanMissing.com - AirSafety.info
    2017 Ford F-350 6.7L CC SB, Andersen Ultimate Hitch.
    2018 Reflection 337RLS fifth wheel.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jkwilson View Post
    Just got back from a business trip. During dinner, the guy I was working with and I were discussing RVs. He and his wife have discussed getting one in a few years.

He brought up an interesting topic. “Tell me about your best day camping.”

Since we were discussing RVs, I glossed over some remote backpacking trips and tent camping excursions with the kids and went with this:

I woke up about 7, which is a lot later than I get up at home. I dressed, turned on the coffee maker and took the dogs for a walk. Back to the camper and my wife met me at the door with a mug of coffee. We sat in our chairs outside watching squirrels playing in the colorful fall leaves. We grabbed a little breakfast and headed out for a longer walk. Came back to the campsite and sat down in the sun to read for a couple of hours.

Took a nap, then drove to town to try a barbecue place we’d heard about. Back to the site to start preparation of Dutch oven chicken pot pie and cobbler. Did a little more reading, but in the shade this time. Rumors of a second nap are probably an exaggeration. Took a bike ride, then got the fire going for supper.

Friends from another site joined us for supper with ice cream for the cobbler and a bottle of wine. We sat by the fire after supper with full bellies drinking a little wine, a little beer and some good conversation. We retired when the ladies decided it was too cold. My wife fell asleep with her head on my shoulder.

I plan to repeat this outrageous behavior as often as possible for the rest of my days!

What is your version?
    Awsome brotha! I can't articulate any specific times as well as you but I can tell you, our camping days are much like yours in the way that you made them feel with your excellent story. It's all good and being out and away from anything you can do anything about, makes all the days camping the best we've spent. Thank you for that wonderful story!!
    2018 Reflection 303RLS
    2006 Chev 2500HD Duramax CC/SB/4X4
    Superglide2700 Bakflip F1

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A camping trip where the whole family is together are the best ones!!! One trip we were in a thunder and lightning storm sitting inside playing hearts and drinking hot chocolate just talking and laughing the whole time. Our two boys have a great sense of humor and get along great. The youngest has never lost at hearts so when he went to the bathroom we loaded his cards so he would at least loose the hand....guess what the little turd still beat us....We still laugh about this to this day ; )

Now it is just the boss lady and myself camping because the boys are grown up and on their own. The trips are different, but the memories and fun are still there....Now if I could just get the boss to tow once in awhile all would be great!!!! Well maybe not ; )

Tony P.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My first camping trip was when I was a Boy Scout at 11 years old. Soon after, my dad wanted to get in the action and the family started camping. I have been camping since that, except the 4 years that I was in the Navy. Backpacking, Motorcycle camping, Winter camping and RV camping are all great. There have been a lot of great trips. A BSA 50 mile hike in the Olympic NP, another BSA 50 miler in the Cascades of Oregon and a crosscountry ski trip around Crater Lake. The motorcycle camping trips to AK, UT, CO, Yellowstone, Glacier, Grand Canyon and a mother of all a Coast to Coast to Coast.
    Glamping in the Momentum is so relaxing and having the bike to explore during the dry weather is a major plus.
    Happy trails, KEN
    Backpacker and tent camper all my life, including BSA as a kid and adult.
    Motorcycle trips across the USA with a tent - 1978 to Present.
    02-10-2005 - 2002 F350 SWD PSD and 2003 Citation 10'8S mostly for Crater Lake Ski Patrol.
    10-29-2015 - 2016 Grand Design 380TH. It's HUGE compared to a camper.
    10-19-2018 - traded truck for a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie CC 4 X 4 Long Box.
    03-16-2019 - Traded Momentum for a New 2018 374TH-R Solitude
    FULL TIME RV'er Nov 2021

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1986. Travelling from Edmonton to Toronto in a home made bus conversion over 4 days. Wife, kids and the inlaws. About 11 hours into day 3 and we can't find the rv park in Sioux St Marie Ontario. Mother inlaw gets out the AAA guide and finds a place an hour down the highway. It's dark and starts raining. Father inlaw in the stairwell looking for the turnoff sign. Turn now he says! Left turn, sign says 10k (6 miles) to campground. (gravel road) 1 mile in a truck passes and sends a rock into the headlight! We get to the campground and it looks like a farm. father inlaw and I go to the door. Is this a campground? Yes says the lady. Out in the field you will see posts with power and water hookups. Come see us in the morning to pay! I am done! Kids get to bed, I pass out! Wake up in the morning to the sun shinig through the curtains and quiet in the coach. I peak out the window at the most spectacular scene. A small lake with ducks, a dock and a well kept little rv park. The best part was seeing my family, and yes my inlaws outside enjoying this while I got a well needed rest! That is what RV'ing is all about!
    2018 344GK. 2018 Chevy 3500 dually.
    Live every moment, because every day is a good day when the sun comes up!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Every day is better!
    2018 Freedom Elite 24FE, 2 Yorkies, and my wife MARILYN, HAM call K0LCB. Traveling around this great country, making friends and seeing lot of beautiful and interesting places

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is no one day that really sticks out as the best ever, there are just too many good ones to remember.

As kids we camped at place that had a shallow, burbling shale bottom creek we were allowed to play in all day long, there was my Dad teaching us how to boil water in a paper cup on an open fire, there were the trips to Canada with fishing as the main attraction, there were the trips where I got to teach my children how to boil water in a paper cup on an open fire, or it could be the times where my brothers and I, as adults, got together with our families.
    2022 Reflection150 226RK
    2022 F150 Powerboost hybrid with 3.5L Ecoboost

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I loved to tent camp with my two sons. Mostly backpacking. As I got older we got into the RV life and camped with our grandkids. After they grew up we started to spend 5/6 months down south with brother-in-law and wife's sister. Still doing that but we are looking forward to spending time with our great grandsons. Far to many wonderful times to list and more coming.

One of the best times was when wife and I, brother-in-law and sister were asked to run an RV park in southern Idaho for the summer. Lots of work but still a lot of fun.