Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    337 is 4 point. Wish it was 6
    Jim and Belinda H. Pa.

2018 337RLS- 2nd ac, dual pane windows, table and chairs, Kodiak disc brakes 12-28-17 (Thanks Ed!)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you are going to set up your trailer to sit long term (a year or more) I would block the trailer in four places on each side (both sides of the axles & at the front and rear of the frame). I would then remove the tires and wheels and put them in storage out of the weather. I would leave the stabilizers retraced.
    Randy & Sharon (Went full time April 14th 2017)

2016 Ram CC SB Outdoorsman 4x4 CTD
    Michelin 295/70R18
    Fold-A-Cover G4 tonneau,
    Dee Zee truck bed mat,
    Dee Zee tailgate assist,
    Dodge Ram 4x4 Steering Gear Box Brace
    Fumoto oil drain valve,
    Husky floor liners,
    WeatherTech No Drill Mud Flaps,
    Firestone Ride-Rite Suspension Kit
    Reece Pro Series 20K lb 5th wheel hitch

2018 Solitude 375res
    8K lb axles, springs & hubs with Nev-R-Lube bearings
    MORryde HD shackle kit with brass bushings & wet bolts
    Reece Sidewinder 19K lb pin box.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by warsw1 View Post
    If you are going to set up your trailer to sit long term (a year or more) I would block the trailer in four places on each side (both sides of the axles & at the front and rear of the frame). I would then remove the tires and wheels and put them in storage out of the weather. I would leave the stabilizers retraced.
    This sounds like a good blocking recommendation from Randy. I would add a pin tripod and make sure that it is loaded with more weight than you can apply with just the screw adjustment. Place significant weight on to the tripod by setting it in place and raising the front landing gear slightly.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One other thought. My Wife and I owned an RV Park for 12 years and we had several that lived in the park year around. What some would do is leave the tires and wheels on the RV and raise and block the RV high enough that the tires were off the ground. They would then skirt the trailer which kept the tires out of the weather. This works pretty well but it does raise the trailer fairly high and most had to make a stair case to accommodate the extra height.

Michelin 295/70R18
    Fold-A-Cover G4 tonneau,
    Dee Zee truck bed mat,
    Dee Zee tailgate assist,
    Fumoto oil drain valve,
    Husky floor liners,

2018 Solitude 375res

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Be warned, if you block and remove tires some insurance policies in some states might consider that a permanent unit and you could run into trouble come claim time. Regardless if it is tied down or not. Generally RV's are not insured or treated the same as something that is without wheels and immobile.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Aridon View Post
    Be warned, if you block and remove tires some insurance policies in some states might consider that a permanent unit and you could run into trouble come claim time. Regardless if it is tied down or not. Generally RV's are not insured or treated the same as something that is without wheels and immobile.
    I might be wrong but I have never heard that to be a problem when just removing the wheels and tires. Some do that just for winter storage. I have heard that if you remove the axle that could be the case. We even had a single wide mobile home that was on one of our sites that we rented out. We had the tires and wheels off just lying under the trailer. Even it wasn't considered a permanent unit and we were inspected regularly. I think what you are saying only applies when a unit is rendered unmovable. No axles or hitch.

Michelin 295/70R18
    Fold-A-Cover G4 tonneau,
    Dee Zee truck bed mat,
    Dee Zee tailgate assist,
    Fumoto oil drain valve,
    Husky floor liners,

2018 Solitude 375res

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by warsw1 View Post
    I might be wrong but I have never heard that to be a problem when just removing the wheels and tires. Some do that just for winter storage. I have heard that if you remove the axle that could be the case. We even had a single wide mobile home that was on one of our sites that we rented out. We had the tires and wheels off just lying under the trailer. Even it wasn't considered a permanent unit and we were inspected regularly. I think what you are saying only applies when a unit is rendered unmovable. No axles or hitch.

As an agent for 15 years, sold my business, I can confirm that if you start doing stuff like that you can impact eligibility.

You can play with the Progressive rater and you can see for yourself but just about any company is going to expect to insure an RV and the closer you turn that into a Mobile home the faster they will be to drop you or give you an issue with your claim.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/QPqwLrva2WVJ9vA83

You'll notice that when you select that the unit has no wheels and is stationary they decline to offer coverage. Blocks will do the same thing. Reason being is they consider it a permanent installation.

Stationary is ok, but it needs to be able to be moved readily and removing the tires /placing it on blocks is something which prevents that. Regardless of how fast or easy it might be for you to remove them or put them back on.

This may not be an issue in every single state but I'd wager most states it would be a problem if the insurance company found out.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Aridon View Post
    As an agent for 15 years, sold my business, I can confirm that if you start doing stuff like that you can impact eligibility.

You can play with the Progressive rater and you can see for yourself but just about any company is going to expect to insure an RV and the closer you turn that into a Mobile home the faster they will be to drop you or give you an issue with your claim.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/QPqwLrva2WVJ9vA83
    You'll notice that when you select that the unit has no wheels and is stationary they decline to offer coverage. Blocks will do the same thing. Reason being is they consider it a permanent installation.

Stationary is ok, but it needs to be able to be moved readily and removing the tires /placing it on blocks is something which prevents that. Regardless of how fast or easy it might be for you to remove them or put them back on.

This may not be an issue in every single state but I'd wager most states it would be a problem if the insurance company found out.
    I guess I don't want to be insured in your state because it is not a problem where I'm at. We owned an RV park for 12 years and have had several tenants that were staying there long term. Some would remove their wheels and tires so they didn't need to leave their RV so high off the ground and none ever had issues with their insurance.

I just called my insurance agent and ask about removing the wheels and tires. I told him I was thinking of parking the trailer for possibly a year or longer. He actually said that if the RV was going to be sitting and not on the road that my insurance rate would actually be less and all I needed to do was let him know when I was going to start traveling again so it would again be covered while on the road. This is through State Farm. They are national. It seems odd that different insurance companies would be so much different.

Maybe there is a difference between not having the wheels and tires on the trailer and not having wheels and tires for it at all.

As I said earlier. We had a single wide mobile home that we rented out that was set on blocks with the wheels and tires removed. It actually had an attached porch with skirting around the entire trailer. They would not let me insure it as a permanent installation because it was moveable. I had to licence it as a trailer and insure it as a trailer. The good part is I didn't have to pay property tax on it as a permanent structure.

Michelin 295/70R18
    Fold-A-Cover G4 tonneau,
    Dee Zee truck bed mat,
    Dee Zee tailgate assist,
    Fumoto oil drain valve,
    Husky floor liners,

2018 Solitude 375res