User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Your experiences with getting around with large 5th wheels?

We are now discussing going full time and are working on narrowing down our choices. It would be my Wife and I and our two daughters. Two medium size dogs too. We do own a 27.5' Outdoors RV 23DBS that we tow now. Great for vacations but way too small for fulltiming with a family.
    Since we're going to be living in this full time we'd like to go large but are concerned that it will become a chore navigating roads and towns. Small towns with sharp corners could be a real pain. I'd hate to get stuck somewhere because I couldn't quite make the corner.
    Finding spots in campgrounds would be more challenging as the bigger you go the less sites there are to accommodate you.

We are currently looking at the solitude 375RES which is 41'6" long or the smaller reflection 311bhs at 36'10". I'm also considering some toy haulers so the girls can have the garage area. No actual toys to load in it. I'd like to go smaller if it met our needs. We do want large tanks on it.

We are good with dry camping. Wherever that may be. Harvest Hosts, thousand trails, rv parks sometimes, would like to visit all the national parks, state parks, pretty much everywhere. We would sign up for various camping memberships and discount programs. But we don't want to not be able to visit somewhere because of size.

How is your experience pulling a large 5th wheel? Should I look smaller?
    Last edited by archer75; 03-14-2018 at 04:34 PM.

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it's personal preference and your type of campground. State parks are generally smaller since they are usually older. We are at 43' and some change and have squeezed into some SC state parks. Once you get some miles under your belt on the truck/trailer length you will be fine. If you go small now, you might regret the decrease in interior space for everyone. There is a total of 6 of us and a dog in our Momentum, it was certainly a learning curve to figure out where everyone's stuff goes, we are still changing things now and then. We don't get to travel too much because of my work, but we do live in it FT.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree that the size issue will fade away with more time behind the wheel. You will think large is normal and smaller RVs like you use to own will appear small and you will wonder how you use to fit into them. Same as driving a dually for the first time will seem uncomfortable and you will laugh about it later.

Yes, your choice of camp sites will be more limited. However, that is starting to change. I have been in state parks and U S forest land campgrounds in Virginia and Kentucky that have been upgraded and design for the larger units that where not around years ago.

Buy what you need and/or want. I check out campgrounds and the size of there sites with satellite views using maps. You will be surprised at how good you will get at doing this.

Good Luck,
    2018 Momentum 376TH
    2016 RAM 3500 Dually

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FT4NOW View Post
    I think it's personal preference and your type of campground. State parks are generally smaller since they are usually older. We are at 43' and some change and have squeezed into some SC state parks. Once you get some miles under your belt on the truck/trailer length you will be fine. If you go small now, you might regret the decrease in interior space for everyone. There is a total of 6 of us and a dog in our Momentum, it was certainly a learning curve to figure out where everyone's stuff goes, we are still changing things now and then. We don't get to travel too much because of my work, but we do live in it FT.

Thank you for your reply. How do you like your 399TH? We were also considering toy haulers and the girls would get the garage space all to themselves. We don't have any actual toys to store in there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With our porch mounted on back we push 45’. I’ve encountered some problems Finding a campsite
    2018 Freedom Elite 24FE, 2 Yorkies, and my wife MARILYN, HAM call K0LCB. Traveling around this great country, making friends and seeing lot of beautiful and interesting places

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by archer75 View Post
    I'd hate to get stuck somewhere because I couldn't quite make the corner.
    Actually I have done that. Yes it's embarrassing, yes people look at you like you are an idiot. But the up side is they are vey helpful and understanding.

When we went full time we took a lesson from our boating days, we started out at 15', then 18', then 23', then 31'. So after doing some cruising we had a fair idea of how much room was "comfortable" to us. So when we bought a 5th wheel we bought the biggest one we could afford, 40'. Never regretted the decision. 5th wheels pull nicely, much better than TT, turning is a little weird, but doesn't take long to get used to.

Couple of pointers, start off by making over wide turns and watching in the rear view mirrors where the axles end up during the turn, this of course means you have to slow way down so you can watch many things at once.

Second pointer, no matter what, slow down. Creep along slowly. This gives everyone time to observe what is happening and make appropriate adjustments.

While shopping think about a "my space" for each individual. The one place in the RV is that persons special place that no one else can invade.

I won't kid you that the larger RV takes more to handle and consider, but we have being well with 40+ feet for a long time.
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by archer75 View Post
    Thank you for your reply. How do you like your 399TH? We were also considering toy haulers and the girls would get the garage space all to themselves. We don't have any actual toys to store in there.
    My wife is a fan of the side porch and we enjoy the half bath for the kids. I wanted a 398, but she really wanted the extra bathroom. The 398 would have been better for the extra bed availability. We took out our table in the garage, use the benches and top bed for kids. We have the super sofa, so there is no indoor table for us. I'm going to build a triple bunk bed in the garage this weekend and put the bench and bed from the garage in storage. Overall, we are happy and made it work for us, but if I could do it over, I'd go with the 398.

2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the Reflection 323BHS 36 foot bunk house model. We just love the bunk house for our grandkids' tv lounge. Much more peaceful having the extra room. We also love the outdoor kitchen which we use all the town.

When you get so big, another 5 feet can hardly be felt.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We never have any problems camping where we want. Just have to plan a head of time to get places. Just make sure you have the right truck for the larger trailer weights
    2007 Volvo 780 VNL Trailersaver Hitch
    2017 Momentum 397th
    2015 Polaris RZR 900S Voodoo Blue
    2017 Polaris RZR S1000 Matte Black
    2019 Polaris RZR S1000 Titanium Matte
    3 Yamaha Banshee's 2-Honda 400 EX's
    Honda 250EX 2016 Polaris Outlaw 110 EFI

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Moving the bigger rigs is just like a simi. Plan where you are going to go. Don't get distracted. Go slow if you need to. They will give you space because of the size. Don't ever let the traffic push you any faster then you are comfortable traveling. Pull over if need be, but ONLY on solid ground.

I went from a pickup camper to 42ft. I figure if a simi can go on the route, so can I. Stay on the bigger roads when possible. Also stay on roads the you already know for awhile.
    Backpacker and tent camper all my life, including BSA as a kid and adult.
    Motorcycle trips across the USA with a tent - 1978 to Present.
    02-10-2005 - 2002 F350 SWD PSD and 2003 Citation 10'8S mostly for Crater Lake Ski Patrol.
    10-29-2015 - 2016 Grand Design 380TH. It's HUGE compared to a camper.
    10-19-2018 - traded truck for a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie CC 4 X 4 Long Box.
    03-16-2019 - Traded Momentum for a New 2018 374TH-R Solitude
    FULL TIME RV'er Nov 2021

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast