Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by J&G garage View Post
    I think a 4 1/2 ton tow vehicle would have helped though.
    So would a semi but hardly necessary. It looked to me that the Ford explorer did a pretty good job. It stayed on the road, looks undamaged and kept the trailer from going over the side. Looks like it did its job pretty well. Don’t think you need a 9K lb (4 ½ ton) dually for every tow job. It’s really something when every time a wreck, that involves towing a trailer, is shown, even something as small as this one, someone has to come up with “If they had been towing with something more suitable” everything would have been alright. Makes me want to puke.
    Randy & Sharon (Went full time April 14th 2017)

2016 Ram CC SB Outdoorsman 4x4 CTD
    Michelin 295/70R18
    Fold-A-Cover G4 tonneau,
    Dee Zee truck bed mat,
    Dee Zee tailgate assist,
    Dodge Ram 4x4 Steering Gear Box Brace
    Fumoto oil drain valve,
    Husky floor liners,
    WeatherTech No Drill Mud Flaps,
    Firestone Ride-Rite Suspension Kit
    Reece Pro Series 20K lb 5th wheel hitch

2018 Solitude 375res
    8K lb axles, springs & hubs with Nev-R-Lube bearings
    MORryde HD shackle kit with brass bushings & wet bolts
    Reece Sidewinder 19K lb pin box.

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the Explorer has a flat LR tire. I'd say that trailer had it's way with the Explorer. It's quite a nice experience when the TV and trailer are about the same weight me thinks.
    Jim & Georgianne
    N. California
    2016 Reflection 29RS
    2008 Ford F-250 Super Duty PSD
    B&W Companion hitch
    Rubber turtle with no name

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the Explorer has a flat LR tire. I'd say that trailer had it's way with the Explorer. It's quite a nice experience when the TV and trailer are about the same weight me thinks.
    Yep I agree. Would even be more fun when you have a 9K lb truck being jerked around by that 20K lb trailer that someone hit and pushed out of control. Oh I forgot "It's a Dually". It's ok now. It can handle anything LOL

A few months ago I was talking to a gent that was camped next to me. We were talking about towing and I mentioned I travel most of the time around 62mph. He said with a big grin “I have a dually”. I can travel 75mph all day long. I ask him how his mpgs were at 75? He lost his grin. He went on to tell me that he bought his trailer (a 32’ 5th wheel) and ask his friend what he should get to tow it. It weighed right at 12K loaded. His friend told him he had to have a dually for that beast. He told me that buying the dually was the best thing he ever did for towing that trailer. I ask him if he has every towed his trailer with anything else to compare the difference. He said “no” I then asked “ then how do you know that buying the dually was the best thing you have ever done for towing that reailer”? He changed the subject.

I really suspect that happens a lot. People buy a dually or a large truck for a small trailer because someone said that is what you need. Then they tell everyone they contact the same story but none have any real world experience with anything else. All they know is that there truck does well so it must be the only thing that works.
    Randy & Sharon (Went full time April 14th 2017)

2016 Ram CC SB Outdoorsman 4x4 CTD
    Michelin 295/70R18
    Fold-A-Cover G4 tonneau,
    Dee Zee truck bed mat,
    Dee Zee tailgate assist,
    Dodge Ram 4x4 Steering Gear Box Brace
    Fumoto oil drain valve,
    Husky floor liners,
    WeatherTech No Drill Mud Flaps,
    Firestone Ride-Rite Suspension Kit
    Reece Pro Series 20K lb 5th wheel hitch

2018 Solitude 375res
    8K lb axles, springs & hubs with Nev-R-Lube bearings
    MORryde HD shackle kit with brass bushings & wet bolts
    Reece Sidewinder 19K lb pin box.

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well I don't know anything about a dually. I have a 8500 lb SRW. Ever so slightly lighter than my trailer.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For our 1st 30 years we had the little fold down / crank up campers that I could see over and around (except in 87 we had a TT, pulled it 3 times swore I'd never pull another). So in 2007 with a different truck that was better equipped for towing we got another TT ( never say never). It pulled so much better than our 1st TT. On one our 1st trips to meet some friends we not letting any grass growing our feet, keeping up with and even passing some of the semi's. So come Saturday night, we went in to town to get ice cream, I drove since I needed gas more than my buddy. Well it took 3/4's of a tank of gas. Come Sunday and time to go home we decided we were in no hurry so we drove the state highways for half the trip and when got the 4 lane we just stayed in the right lane and slowed down, go home and the truck took less than a half tank. Keeping to the right lane except a few on ramps and slowing down I was much more relaxed. We started right then there to do the same on all our trips, takes a little longer, we keep it between 57 and 63, but it's a more enjoyable trip. . . . . Now we count how many hawks are sitting on the fence posts. . . . . .
    Joe & Dee
    Ontario, Ohio
    2018 Chevy 3500HD LTZ Duramax Crew Cab SRW Short Bed Payload 3523#
    2019 Reflection 337RLS bought February 2019 Dry Pin Weight = 2,320#, UVW = 11,100#
    Hitch - PullRite Super Glide 2700 - 16K
    Bed Cover - Roll-N-Lock
    TPMS - Tire Tracker TT-500 (non flow thru)
    Rear Observation Camera - Rear View Safety model RVS-155W-FB (2400-2500MHZ)

2017 303RLS bought April 2017 / Traded February 2019

Map represents States visited with our 303RLS /337RLS

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We were caught in the back up from that accident so Marcy streamed the whole thing. Explorer didn't have a flat. In fact after they got the trailer off the wall that Explorer towed that trailer away.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WhittleBurner View Post
    We were caught in the back up from that accident so Marcy streamed the whole thing. Explorer didn't have a flat. In fact after they got the trailer off the wall that Explorer towed that trailer away.
    Gary, it looked like the accident caused them to do a 180 ? ?
    Joe & Dee
    Ontario, Ohio
    2018 Chevy 3500HD LTZ Duramax Crew Cab SRW Short Bed Payload 3523#
    2019 Reflection 337RLS bought February 2019 Dry Pin Weight = 2,320#, UVW = 11,100#
    Hitch - PullRite Super Glide 2700 - 16K
    Bed Cover - Roll-N-Lock
    TPMS - Tire Tracker TT-500 (non flow thru)
    Rear Observation Camera - Rear View Safety model RVS-155W-FB (2400-2500MHZ)

2017 303RLS bought April 2017 / Traded February 2019

Map represents States visited with our 303RLS /337RLS

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theclarks View Post
    Gary, it looked like the accident caused them to do a 180 ? ?
    Yes, they spun around. And did have a flat. I just never mentioned the flat in the play by play I was giving so Gary didn't know.
    After removal they did turn around (TV and RV) facing in the right direction drove ahead a bit and stopped. My guess is to assess damage and see if it could be towed by the TV. That's when I turned off the stream so we don't know if both were put on trailers or drove off after changing the flat. But it did appear that everything moved quite smoothly. I can't imagine that the trailer came out of that with no underside issues. And obviously a big hole in the side.

I think the driver did a darn good job and the hitch must be a good one or that rig would have come loose and gone all the way over.
    As for the girl driving that caused all this, she won't forget this spring break for a long time and her insurance rates will skyrocket. Calling in a crane and 2 huge tow trucks will rack up quite a big bill
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by warsw1 View Post
    Yep I agree. Would even be more fun when you have a 9K lb truck being jerked around by that 20K lb trailer that someone hit and pushed out of control. Oh I forgot "It's a Dually". It's ok now. It can handle anything LOL

A few months ago I was talking to a gent that was camped next to me. We were talking about towing and I mentioned I travel most of the time around 62mph. He said with a big grin “I have a dually”. I can travel 75mph all day long. I ask him how his mpgs were at 75? He lost his grin. He went on to tell me that he bought his trailer (a 32’ 5th wheel) and ask his friend what he should get to tow it. It weighed right at 12K loaded. His friend told him he had to have a dually for that beast. He told me that buying the dually was the best thing he ever did for towing that trailer. I ask him if he has every towed his trailer with anything else to compare the difference. He said “no” I then asked “ then how do you know that buying the dually was the best thing you have ever done for towing that reailer”? He changed the subject.

I really suspect that happens a lot. People buy a dually or a large truck for a small trailer because someone said that is what you need. Then they tell everyone they contact the same story but none have any real world experience with anything else. All they know is that there truck does well so it must be the only thing that works.
    HA! We have a neighbor who has a 26' TT with 1 small slideout. He pulls it with a diesel dually, and pulling the trailer is the only time he drives the truck. I sorta give him the benefit of the doubt, thinking maybe they have plans to upgrade later? Still funny looking as in extreme overkill.

John
    2018 Silverado LTZ 3500HD CC LB 4X4 DRW Duramax/Allison
    2019 Momentum 381M w/Full Body Paint
    2016 Can Am Spyder F3 Limited Special Series
    2017 Can Am Outlander 1000 XT-P
    2016 Wrangler Hard Rock Unlimited
    1997 Bayliner Capri 1950 affectionately named Skinnydipper
    MSgt, USAF (Ret)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WhittleBurner View Post

Calling in a crane and 2 huge tow trucks will rack up quite a big bill
    Marcy - I found it very interesting that the insurance company and I were never billed to remove our truck and fifth wheel from the Illinois interstate after our fire. I wonder if the good people of Illinois paid for that service with their tax money. If so, I really appreciate it.

Jim

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast