User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Guys I have been there done that experienced the effect!
    Not with an RV but with a 20 foot car trailer loaded with my 66 Dodge Charger. A semi drifted into my lane and hit the left rear quarter of the car on the trailer which pitched the rear end of the trailer hard to the right. Even though my load was balanced that hard right fishtail and then the snap back to hard left set up an extremely quick and violent happening. There really is no time to think or react and a less experienced driver can do the wrong thing and make it worse by sawing on the steering wheel or slamming on the brakes. And if you think you have time to get one hand off the steering wheel and push the button on the electric trailer brake, think again.

I was able to guide my rig off the road and onto the right side grass and the whole rig did a 180. Better than jack knifing it on the pavement or taking out somebody else on the road. The ball hitch never came loose, safety chains and power cord still intact but the sway bar was bent and it broke the little ball off the trailer tongue for the sway bar. The tie down straps on the Charger were still cinched down tight and I always used an "X" strap down configuration when towing to the drag races. The car tires never moved on the trailer but it was bouncing around on its suspension.

The Charger had black swirl tire marks on the left rear fender. Even a balanced load with a WD hitch can be upset when outside forces act upon the towed item.
    Its something I dont wish for anyone to experience. After my nerves calmed down I was more pissed than anything else.
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I drive an F350 dually. I do so because it is more stable on the road and in the wind and it can carry a lot more. I tow between 60 or 65 if speed limit permits because it saves fuel and I might be able to stop better if I loose a tire. I think the tongue weight on a Solitude is a bit high for a single wheel.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123