User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have watched my family work their butts off chasing the almighty dollar till late in life and then when they do retire they end up dead with cancer or house bound because they are to ill to go anywhere.
    I'm turning 62, work in my auto shop when I want to. I'm not waiting. I worked hard early, paid a lot in and now I get my first SS check in August. DW has a couple years to go but gets lots of paid time off so we go RVing a lot. Our favorite spot is backed up to the gulf, watching the waves roll in, setting in our chairs, sipping wine and thanking our lucky stars we have gotten this far. We will go full time as soon as possible. We have been married 40 years. What good is a bigger check when your drowning in your oatmeal and somebody has to wipe your chin for you. Watched my Mother & Father both go that way.

Framed and on our living room wall, we will leave you with this thought, True love is neither physical, nor romantic. True love is an acceptance of all that is, has been, will be and will not be. Peace is seeing a sunset and knowing who to thank. The happiest people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything they have.
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    True love is neither physical, nor romantic. True love is an acceptance of all that is, has been, will be and will not be. Peace is seeing a sunset and knowing who to thank. The happiest people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything they have.

I have tears in my eyes....
    Lynette & Steve
    2001 Ford Excursion 4WD 7.3 Turbo Diesel
    Former Owner - 2018 315RLTS Reflection TT

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven@147 View Post
    I have watched my family work their butts off chasing the almighty dollar till late in life and then when they do retire they end up dead with cancer or house bound because they are to ill to go anywhere.
    I'm turning 62, work in my auto shop when I want to. I'm not waiting. I worked hard early, paid a lot in and now I get my first SS check in August. DW has a couple years to go but gets lots of paid time off so we go RVing a lot. Our favorite spot is backed up to the gulf, watching the waves roll in, setting in our chairs, sipping wine and thanking our lucky stars we have gotten this far. We will go full time as soon as possible. We have been married 40 years. What good is a bigger check when your drowning in your oatmeal and somebody has to wipe your chin for you. Watched my Mother & Father both go that way.

Framed and on our living room wall, we will leave you with this thought, True love is neither physical, nor romantic. True love is an acceptance of all that is, has been, will be and will not be. Peace is seeing a sunset and knowing who to thank. The happiest people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything they have.
    Well said......
    Shawn & Julie
    2018 Reflection 327RST
    2015 Ram 2500 6.7 litre Cummins Diesel
    Pullrite Autoslide 16 K with Capture Plate
    Whitby, Ontario, Canada

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chiefblueman View Post
    Before I retired, I worked with, trained and mentored a great crew of guys. We all worked for a municipality (Bellevue, WA) maintaining their signal and lighting systems. Most of these guys had never worked in the "real world", having worked for the city most of their careers. I'd been in the private sector for 35 years prior. When the guys would get bitchy about their jobs I would ask them to reflect on how good they had it. No real deadlines, no profit margin to worry about, great benefits, etc. Morale would come back up (except for one guy) and off we'd go.

Had the opportunity to practice what I'd preached in early 2016 when I was diagnosed with Waldenstroms Macroglobulinemia. Ain't that a mouthful! It's a quite rare type of lymphoma. At first it was "Oh crap!". Then the good things happened. It wasn't Multiple Myeloma (terrible). I found a Doc in my city that is a nationally renowned expert in this rare condition. I live in a city that has world class cancer care. I sailed through 6 months of transfusions and chemo with little discomfort. My employer treated me like a king, finding stuff for me to do when I was too weak to work. My double coverage benefits have paid 100% of the 1/2 million dollars expense. I found how wonderful my friends and family are. My DW? I haven't the words. My first grandson born during this time? Priceless!

WM is treatable, not curable. I may not need treatment again for many years. I'm now healthy as the proverbial horse. Bonus - our financial planner asked me why I was still working. Retirement at our current income level was a reality. I was 63 and knew I'd never feel better so pulled the pin June of '17. Got a new Duramax in the driveway, a new GD trailer, a beautiful home and I see my now 19 month old grandson every day. I'm truly blessed!

We're headed out to camp with our BFF's this Sunday. Every day is a gift, I just need to be reminded of it sometimes. Next week while I'm lounging on the shores of Puget Sound I'll raise a glass (of diet Coke) to all of us and our good fortunes.

Thanks for this thread!
    Chiefblueman, you have taken me back with your story which is truly amazing. I have also been in remission (cured if after 5 years) and am deeply grateful.
    MidwestCamper

Jim & Dawn
    Near Milford, Michigan
    2017 Imagine 2600RB
    2015 GMC Sierra 1500 Double Cab 4x4

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wonderful thread. I will add my own experience.

I just recently sold my practice and retired at age 56. My father was fortunate to retire at 49. He enjoyed his life but did not travel much since my mom didn't want to. A week after his 70th birthday I drove him to the hospital to have surgery for his spinal stenosis. Well, one thing led to another. It turned out he had a benign brain tumor as well. The result was he spent the last dozen years of his life in a wheelchair and in and out of hospitals. He never really got to travel.

I am not the great businessman my father was. I've done ok for myself all things considered. I have not been blessed with the best of health and have had some significant struggles. My financial adviser kept telling me that according to their computer model, my financial plan would not allow me to retire until well into my 60's. Otherwise the financial model could not ensure that I'd have enough money to live until age 90. I happen to think I won't make it to 90. In any case, I certainly have enough money to retire. So I did.

I got married late in life and had triplet boys when I was 50. They are now 6 yrs old. We plan on traveling every summer for the entire summer, so long as the kids will come with us. During the school year we will take shorter trips. I want our kids to be as well rounded as possible. I want them to see this country and others so they have a reference to compare their own lives with.

Retirement has been rewarding. I get to spend so much more time bonding with the kids, being more involved with their activities, and helping them with their schoolwork. I figure I have until they're about age 13 or so, after which they'll want to spend more time with their friends.
    2017 Ford F450 - our kids call her "Big Red"
    2018 Grand Design Reflection 28bh

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @MidwestCamper - Congrats on remission. F*#! cancer! The best revenge is living well!

@ TheLexx - I have often thought that it would be nice to raise kids later in life when you're not so distracted by making a living and dealing with your own youth. Your plan seems to have worked out nicely!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123