User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The wife and I have been married coming up on 28 years and started camping when our oldest was 2 or so in a two room tent with the dog. When the second boy came along the boss said she would not camp with 2 boys, a dog and me in a tent. Well a Coleman tent trailer was purchased and the camping continued....We went through many a thunder and lightning storms in the tent trailer and pulled that thing everywhere. Well we upgraded to a 27 foot travel trailer with bunk beds for the boys and camp trips started lasting 2 weeks at a time going places and seeing things as a family. The oldest went into the Marine Corp and the youngest was too big for the bunks anymore and getting close to going to college. We bought a cougar 5th wheel for the boss and myself and continued camping. The boys would come time to time with us when they were free for short trips. Now the oldest is married and the youngest in in college in Reno so a few weeks ago we upgraded to a Reflection 337RLS. Funny how that works the less people in the 5th wheel the bigger it gets......Keep camping and sharing with the family I can't think of any better way to raise kids or spend time with the family.

Tony P.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Amen to that!
    2018 Freedom Elite 24FE, 2 Yorkies, and my wife MARILYN, HAM call K0LCB. Traveling around this great country, making friends and seeing lot of beautiful and interesting places

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good topic Curtis! My wife and I are celebrating our 35th wedding anniversary this summer. We will be seasoning in our Reflection at our favorite lake for the first time with our pontoon boat. Lots of anticipation. We talk every now and then how fortunate we are, especially since I was able to retire at 50 four years ago.

When I, or we, are not having a particularly good day, I remind myself of all those heros overseas fighting for our freedom who can’t be with their families or those that don’t even have a roof over their head, or especially friends who have a serious illness. So yes, never take life or the good times for granted. Great life and great country that we live in.
    Steve & Sue (pups:Sky & Sierra) Gardnerville, Nv
    2017 Refelection 297RSTS
    2017 Ford 350 CC 4x4 Lariat Superduty 6.7, Long Bed

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I count my blessings. I not rich. I have struggled most of my life.

I have seen a lot. The 4 years in the Navy I traveled from Coast to Coast with state side duty stations, plus one Med Cruise and a Pacific Cruise on the Governments dime. I have volunteered for many groups including BSA, Crater Lake NP and NSP. Volunteering was very rewarding and I'm betting helped with the good karma. I could not afford an RV when I was younger. I have traveled all over the USA via motorcycle camping in a tent most of the time. I am very lucky to have been able to do all that I have done.
    I count my blessing and am a bit more carefully these day. Safe Travels, KEN
    Backpacker and tent camper all my life, including BSA as a kid and adult.
    Motorcycle trips across the USA with a tent - 1978 to Present.
    02-10-2005 - 2002 F350 SWD PSD and 2003 Citation 10'8S mostly for Crater Lake Ski Patrol.
    10-29-2015 - 2016 Grand Design 380TH. It's HUGE compared to a camper.
    10-19-2018 - traded truck for a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie CC 4 X 4 Long Box.
    03-16-2019 - Traded Momentum for a New 2018 374TH-R Solitude
    FULL TIME RV'er Nov 2021

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well said, buddy.Surely agree with you.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What a wonderful thread. Once upon a time DW and I were trying to decided if we wanted to go into debt and buy a new fifth wheel. We called a life-long friend for his advice and what he said has always stuck with us. He and his wife had big plans for RVing but she had two strokes and his advice -- just do it -- you never know what life will bring. So we bought this 5er and then later, we upgraded twice after that one. We kept staying out for longer periods -- now up to about 6 months a year. As to bigger -- it is cheaper then a divorce!

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Before I retired, I worked with, trained and mentored a great crew of guys. We all worked for a municipality (Bellevue, WA) maintaining their signal and lighting systems. Most of these guys had never worked in the "real world", having worked for the city most of their careers. I'd been in the private sector for 35 years prior. When the guys would get bitchy about their jobs I would ask them to reflect on how good they had it. No real deadlines, no profit margin to worry about, great benefits, etc. Morale would come back up (except for one guy) and off we'd go.

Had the opportunity to practice what I'd preached in early 2016 when I was diagnosed with Waldenstroms Macroglobulinemia. Ain't that a mouthful! It's a quite rare type of lymphoma. At first it was "Oh crap!". Then the good things happened. It wasn't Multiple Myeloma (terrible). I found a Doc in my city that is a nationally renowned expert in this rare condition. I live in a city that has world class cancer care. I sailed through 6 months of transfusions and chemo with little discomfort. My employer treated me like a king, finding stuff for me to do when I was too weak to work. My double coverage benefits have paid 100% of the 1/2 million dollars expense. I found how wonderful my friends and family are. My DW? I haven't the words. My first grandson born during this time? Priceless!

WM is treatable, not curable. I may not need treatment again for many years. I'm now healthy as the proverbial horse. Bonus - our financial planner asked me why I was still working. Retirement at our current income level was a reality. I was 63 and knew I'd never feel better so pulled the pin June of '17. Got a new Duramax in the driveway, a new GD trailer, a beautiful home and I see my now 19 month old grandson every day. I'm truly blessed!

We're headed out to camp with our BFF's this Sunday. Every day is a gift, I just need to be reminded of it sometimes. Next week while I'm lounging on the shores of Puget Sound I'll raise a glass (of diet Coke) to all of us and our good fortunes.

Thanks for this thread!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Best thread I have read in a long time!!
    2017 Solitude 384GK
    2012 F350 Lariat
    Pullrite Superglide 18K

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great Thread Chief,

My DW and I had just bought our Jayco and I was talking retirement with my boss. He kept putting it off, but his plan was to retire and travel around the south to see as many minor league baseball games as possible (he played in the minors years ago). He finally retired after putting it off for years, then had a major heart attack and passed away. That was an awakening! I retired in December 2011 and started keeping my twin grand-girls at 6 months old to the entered pre-k at 5. Whenever possible, we would take off on Thursday to the campsite and let everyone else join on Friday after work. What a great time! When they went to pre-K, I went back to work part time but sure miss those individual camping times with the girls.

My Dad retired and Mom continued to work for a couple of years. He was a long distance truck driver and wanted to take her and travel to all the neat places around the country while driving. Needless to say by the time she retired his health was failing and they never did get to make those trips. Mom's now 90+ and that is the one thing she regrets, not going on those trips.

I treasure any and all times that I'm able to take the family to the campgrounds on vacation or go to the girls gymnastics competitions. Time flies, need to enjoy it while you can.
    Les and Sharon Bevil
    Austin, Tx

Reflection 311BHS purchased March 2017
    Jayco 32BHDS sold March 2017
    2012 Chevrolet 2500HD 6.6 Diesel (until May 2018)
    2015 Chevrolet 3500HD 6.6 Diesel

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great topic! I tend to look at all the things I don't do and not on things I've done or will/can do. This topic was perfect timing for me - time to retrain my brain to think positive and give back when I can.

Thanks for sharing.
    Jim & Kate
    2019 Ford F350 CC 6.7 Diesel DRW
    2020 Solitude 344GK
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    2017 Ford F250 6.7 Diesel (Sold - already miss her)
    2018 GD Reflection 315RLTS (Sold)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast