User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great points above; a few worth reiterating:
    > With regard to black tank, water is your friend; more is better
    > One more vote for the Valterra gate valve: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    > I also like to leave gray tank closed. As mentioned, let it fill half way and dump it; takes only a few minutes. This will give you a feel for how long you can go when you don't have full hook ups. As mentioned, time things so you have a decent amount of gray to use to follow the black water dump.
    > I totally agree with adding a few gallons of clean water after you dump. Helps to leave some water in as you drive around.
    > I like to use the black tank flush every time i dump if possible. As long as nobody is behind me at the dump station, I flush. One item that is VERY useful during this process is the clear elbow to allow me to see just how clean the water is: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    > I've seen much back and forth over adding chemicals; I just know what works for me. I like this product: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    2017 Ford F350 Platinum 6.7L PowerStroke DRW
    2017 Solitude 379FLS

Rolling Along
    Now-Oct 2018: Prince William Forest Park, NPS, Triangle VA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One thing I dont think anyone has mentioned.

Do not trust the holding tank gauges. They might read full right after you dump, or 1/3 full when there's grey water backing up in the shower drain.

Dave

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
    2015 Reflection 337RLS, #931, Built 6/14, Purchased New 1/15
    2015 Silverado 3500HD LTZ SRW CC, 8' Bed, 4WD, Z71, Duramax/Allison
    11,600 GVW, 3,739 Payload, 16.1 mpg for first 21,000 miles
    Reese Elite 18K Hitch with underbed rails
    Amateur Radio KQ3T (ex-WN8PXF, WA8PXF, N3CKQ)
    Felines: Butter (Abyssinian), Cinnamon (Burmese, R.I.P.), and Harry (Orange Tiger Cat, Rescued from Sutton Lake CG, WV)
    2018: Visitor Center Volunteer at Prince William Forest Park, Triangle VA, June thru October
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's a tip. When getting ready to dump the tanks open a grey tank valve for a few seconds then close it before dumping the black tank. If for some reason you have a leak at any of the sewer hose connections or a hole in a hose you will only have to deal with grey water leaking out and not black water. If all looks good then go ahead and dump the black tank followed by the grey tanks.
    Jim & Georgianne
    N. California
    2016 Reflection 29RS
    2008 Ford F-250 Super Duty PSD
    B&W Companion hitch
    Rubber turtle with no name

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good article on holding tank maintenance https://sites.google.com/site/cbruni/
    I use the Geo method, works for me.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good thread, this potential newbie appreciates the chance to learn ahead. The flush process upon checking out reminds me of the launch and retrieve of a trailered boat on a busy day at the boat ramps.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great idea about releasing a little grey water first to Check for leaks. I hadn't thought of that before.
    2019 2800BH
    BlueOx Swaypro BXW1500
    2017 Expedition EL XLT w/heavy duty tow package w/ Michelin Defender LTX LT275/65/18

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great info everyone.

This 3 minute read gave me a huge confidence boost for our trip next week.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use to keep my gray tank open for years but after seeing this video I now close it. Being the vent for the entire campgrounds sewer system convinced me to keep mine closed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4A-41EdBBc

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great idea about the grey tanks. Here is another hint -- when we take off for a long drive home, I put some automatic dish washer soap in the tanks along with some Calgon bath beads and about 5 gals of water. The auto dish soap is low suds and the beads soften the water so it cleans better. Seems to help the sensor units to work better/longer.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been stupid twice. Both new trailers when they left the lot the gates on black were open. No leak to hunt an issue but quite surprising. I always check to make sure the systems are closed but apparently not on the new trailers. Its quite the surprise and you should always check handles on the septic system. You would think I'd member something so simple after nine years.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12