0 Thread(s)

ez pass trans ponder

does any one use these things do i get one for trailer or my tow vec work

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It goes in the windshield of the tow vehicle and activates as you approach the booth or drive under the scanner.
    John & Kathy
    2014 F250 Lariat FX4 6.2L SBCC
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    SW Indiana

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I found the best state for me to purchase mine was New Hampshire. You do not have to be a New Hampshire resident to purchase or use it. They do not charge a monthly fee like some states do. You only pay for what you use. Order your transponder on-line. When you receive it, there will be instructions on where to mount it in your tow vehicle. Once you receive it, call them and give them the information such as license plate and VIN on the trailer. Then, when you go though an EZ pass site, it will automatically calculate the rate based on whether you're towing or not.

Make sure you set the account up for automatic replenishment. That way if you account get low, it will automatically charge your credit card on file and replenish your account so you always have a credit balance if you need it.

Jim

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jim, thanks for the reminder to call EzPass with the new vehicle info when we switch one (also NH) from our current vehicles to the TV.
    Al and Kathe
    House: Bass Harbor, Maine
    Home: Wherever we're parked
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Highlighted states are those we have camped in for at least one night in our Solitude.
    2018 Solitude 310GK 110463 (Rhett) / 2018 F350 CC DRW 4x4 Lariat (Scarlett)
    Follow us: http://lobstersontheloose.com

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Delaware was one of the first states to adopt E-Z Pass (I believe NJ 1st & DE was 2nd) and I have them on all my vehicles coming up on 15 years now. They work and are easy to install.

Using electric eyes and all kinds of cameras and other electronics, it has the ability to know if I am driving my truck, truck and motorcycle trailer, or truck and RV and charges my account accordingly. Somehow it counts how many axles that go through the gates. This is also true while using express lanes.
    2018 Momentum 376TH
    2016 RAM 3500 Dually

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have 2 transponders. 1 for truck alone, and 1 for truck and trailer. Whichever 1 we are not using lives in the glovebox in the protective package.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    EZPass. If you set your account up on the internet, you can change vehicles, etc without having to call them.
    It is easy to do. I do it for my Corp Car all the time, as long as the number of axle’s do not change.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Note: I have not had or needed a separate transponder for the trailer. As I stated earlier, the E-Z Pass lanes know when an what I am pulling behind the truck. I only need and carry one unit in the truck.

I have traveled through many different states and they all know what to charge me when I go through the express lanes. This is even true in Virginia (which I do a lot). Not sure why MtnGuy needs to carry two.

MtGuy, we will be staying at Shenandoah River SP in two weeks.
    2018 Momentum 376TH
    2016 RAM 3500 Dually

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by vonzoog View Post
    Note: I have not had or needed a separate transponder for the trailer. As I stated earlier, the E-Z Pass lanes know when an what I am pulling behind the truck. I only need and carry one unit in the truck.

I have traveled through many different states and they all know what to charge me when I go through the express lanes. This is even true in Virginia (which I do a lot). Not sure why MtnGuy needs to carry two.

MtGuy, we will be staying at Shenandoah River SP in two weeks.

When we called about EZ pass, they said we needed 2 transponders. I don’t think it was any additional cost, and both are linked to the same account.

Enjoy your stay at Shenandoah River State Park !! We are only about 30 miles from that, but have not stayed there yet.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Each state has their own guidelines. Some states require you to purchase the transponder and some states give them to you for free but charge you if you lose one and cannot return it (ask me how I know that part). Some states charge you an "administrative" fee each month (or annually).
    Call multiple states and ask to see which one works best for you. We choose NY as best for us.
    In the case of NY, they gave us one transponder for the truck alone (2 axles), and a second transponder in a different color for truck + trailer (4 axles).
    Different rates are charged of course, so when we are towing, we use the blue transponder instead of the white one.
    Although the ezpass technology may allow one transponder to identify the number of axles, it still remains up to the discretion of each state to determine how they want to administer the charges.
    Watch out for this one too; we found there was one state (and I don't recall which) that would only give one transponder for combined truck and trailer, AND that doing that would push us into their commercial charge sheet, with way higher toll rates.
    One of the great things however, to be able to cross the new electronic toll plaza's without lifting from the gas pedal at all.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast