User Tag List

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Demco comes through again

So I decided on a Reese 5th Airborne cushioned pin box to try with our 303. To make it work with our Demco Auto-slider an adapter plate is needed. Contacted both Demco and Reese to determine which plate as they sell 2 depending on which model 5th airborne pin box. Well I got everything and went to assemble last night. Guess what, the adapter plate is "close" but it is a no go. It wont fit on. Took some picture and sent them off to Demco customer service explaining my problem. Additionally the holes that the Demco instructions say to secure the plate to Don't exist on the pin box. This is what I got back...

" We have seen this on the 5th Airborne pin box in the past. It’s very rare but we did make a special locking plate just in case we see it again. It is our part number 6105 and it measures approx. ¼ inches longer. We can send this kit to you at the address below. The one thing we haven’t seen before is that it doesn’t have the two holes in the plate to mount ours to. You will need to use our locking plate as a template to drill out the holes. Be sure to not drill through anything on the inside of the pin box. If you have any other questions let us know. Also, let me know if you would like me to ship to the address below..."

No questions ask, no can you return the other $100+ adapter plate, no second guessing my problem. Bottom line great customer service. Each time I have contacted them I have gotten straight answers and quick complete responses.

Jim
    2017 F350 Bronze Fire XLT short bed SuperCab, SRW power stroke Diesel, 3.31 rear end, 18" AT tires
    Demco hijacker autoslide hitch
    2018 303RLS VIN#: 573FR3329J3313328. Built 4/2017. Dual AC's, freestanding table/chairs
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good to hear about their customer service. . . . . .
    Joe & Dee
    Ontario, Ohio
    2018 Chevy 3500HD LTZ Duramax Crew Cab SRW Short Bed Payload 3523#
    2019 Reflection 337RLS bought February 2019 Dry Pin Weight = 2,320#, UVW = 11,100#
    Hitch - PullRite Super Glide 2700 - 16K
    Bed Cover - Roll-N-Lock
    TPMS - Tire Tracker TT-500 (non flow thru)
    Rear Observation Camera - Rear View Safety model RVS-155W-FB (2400-2500MHZ)

2017 303RLS bought April 2017 / Traded February 2019

Map represents States visited with our 303RLS /337RLS

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am new to Demco, but has been my experience thus far as well. Had some questions on my jaws, as it seemed it was difficult to get locked. Even though the tech claimed it will likely break in and will no longer be an issue, they sent me a new set of jaws no questions asked.
    2022 Momentum 351M-R
    2019 Ford F450 Platinum CC 6.7L Powerstroke FX4; Truck Covers USA American Work Tonneau; B&W 25K hitch; Airlift 5000 Ultimate+ w/WirelessAir; ZRoadZ back-up lamps
    Gone: 2018 Reflection 28BH; 2017 Ford F350 Platinum CCSB 6.7L Powerstroke FX4; 2015 GMC Denali 2500HD CCSB Dmax
    Gone but still in the family: 2004.5 Chev 2500HD CCSB LTZ Dmax

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BabyBober View Post
    So I decided on a Reese 5th Airborne cushioned pin box to try with our 303. To make it work with our Demco Auto-slider an adapter plate is needed. Contacted both Demco and Reese to determine which plate as they sell 2 depending on which model 5th airborne pin box. Well I got everything and went to assemble last night. Guess what, the adapter plate is "close" but it is a no go. It wont fit on. Took some picture and sent them off to Demco customer service explaining my problem. Additionally the holes that the Demco instructions say to secure the plate to Don't exist on the pin box. This is what I got back...

" We have seen this on the 5th Airborne pin box in the past. It’s very rare but we did make a special locking plate just in case we see it again. It is our part number 6105 and it measures approx. ¼ inches longer. We can send this kit to you at the address below. The one thing we haven’t seen before is that it doesn’t have the two holes in the plate to mount ours to. You will need to use our locking plate as a template to drill out the holes. Be sure to not drill through anything on the inside of the pin box. If you have any other questions let us know. Also, let me know if you would like me to ship to the address below..."

No questions ask, no can you return the other $100+ adapter plate, no second guessing my problem. Bottom line great customer service. Each time I have contacted them I have gotten straight answers and quick complete responses.

Jim
    Jim,
    Why did you switch to a Reese 5th Airborne cushioned pin box? Did you originally have the Roto-Flex?

I'm experiencing either porpoising and/or chucking with my Demco Hijacker and Roto-Flex (really can't tell which but I don't think it's chucking). Towed my rig behind a Chevy 3500 dually and the ride was soooo different. Not sure I really like the ride but it's an all new hook-up for me. I just don't remember the amount of movement (bounce up & down) from my previous 5th wheel.

I'm also having a VERY hard time hitching to the Demco slider. I took some videos today and am going to call Demco tomorrow to ask some questions. The alignment of hitch to pin box is ultra critical and the jaws don't close all the way without a lot of attempts (they come close but need about another 1/8" of closure most time; hence I back a lot varying the angle slightly).
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by traveldawg View Post
    Jim,
    Why did you switch to a Reese 5th Airborne cushioned pin box? Did you originally have the Roto-Flex?

I'm experiencing either porpoising and/or chucking with my Demco Hijacker and Roto-Flex (really can't tell which but I don't think it's chucking). Towed my rig behind a Chevy 3500 dually and the ride was soooo different. Not sure I really like the ride but it's an all new hook-up for me. I just don't remember the amount of movement (bounce up & down) from my previous 5th wheel.

I'm also having a VERY hard time hitching to the Demco slider. I took some videos today and am going to call Demco tomorrow to ask some questions. The alignment of hitch to pin box is ultra critical and the jaws don't close all the way without a lot of attempts (they come close but need about another 1/8" of closure most time; hence I back a lot varying the angle slightly).
    Hi, we have a reflection so it was a straight 1621 king pin. No cushioning at all. On rough roads/highways I could feel it. We also got a resonance bucking if the pavement grooves were just right in combination with the right speed. As such, decided to just make the ride smoother for longer trips. I have only used the airbourne once so far but it rode very smooth. Out this weekend for our first real trip.

Call Demco and talk to them, something is not right. Other then being lined up which the guide bars help with (assuming they are properly set) my hitch pops right in every time. I have never had any issues with the jaw not closing completely. As a matter of fact I think the full wrap around jaws grab the king pin very well.

Jim
    2017 F350 Bronze Fire XLT short bed SuperCab, SRW power stroke Diesel, 3.31 rear end, 18" AT tires
    2018 303RLS VIN#: 573FR3329J3313328. Built 4/2017. Dual AC's, freestanding table/chairs
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BabyBober View Post
    So I decided on a Reese 5th Airborne cushioned pin box to try with our 303.
    Hi Jim - I will be really interested to learn your impression of the Reese 5th Airborne pin box. I have been considering a pinbox upgrade and was leaning towards the MORryde rubber unit that many have, because I think what I am trying to eliminate is mostly the fore-aft chucking.

The Reese pinbox claims a significant improvement in fore-aft . . . but has a hard bolted hinge point between the upper and lower halfs . I have been pleased with my Reese hitch, so their air ride pinbox is still on my radar.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cate&Rob View Post
    Hi Jim - I will be really interested to learn your impression of the Reese 5th Airborne pin box. I have been considering a pinbox upgrade and was leaning towards the MORryde rubber unit that many have, because I think what I am trying to eliminate is mostly the fore-aft chucking.

The Reese pinbox claims a significant improvement in fore-aft . . . but has a hard bolted hinge point between the upper and lower halfs . I have been pleased with my Reese hitch, so their air ride pinbox is still on my rada

Rob
    Hi Rob:
    I have a trip to Vermont lined up for mid June and will let you know how the Airbourne works after that. 6-7 hrs each way on mixed roads should give it a good test. I went back and forth between the MORryde and the airbourne. The reason I want the way I did is the Reese unit helps both horizontal and vertical where the MORyde is really only horizontal. That brings a compromise in both directions though. While it is hinged, the angle of the shock and movement of the pinbox will give it some flex front to back. I will see....

Jim
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Following, just bolted on a 5th airborne on a couple days ago.

Gene
    - Gene

Kim & Gene
    2015 Reflection 317RST
    2017 Ram 3500 CC LB 4x2 6.7 CTD AISIN 3.73 DRW Auto Level Rear Air, BD3, Prodigy P3, Aux Tank