Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was in the same boat this time last year, dually or single rear wheel. I knew I would be close to max with a single rear wheel truck, but I just couldn't pull the trigger on a dually. Overall I am happy with my purchase of a 2017 3500 Duramax towing a 310GK. I have a 60 gallon aux fuel tank in the bed and just added a Onan 5.5 diesel generator in front of the fifth wheel hitch. I scaled my truck yesterday with 1/2 tank of fuel in my aux tank and full tank of fuel in the truck. 5480 lbs front axle and 4000 rear axle with no passengers. I might try to scale my truck with the trailer hooked up today to see where I am at. So I have an extra 800 lbs in the bed of my truck and I am almost maxxed out, I can always reduce how much fuel I am carrying and alter the storage in the 5er to keep weight off of the pin.
    2023 GMC 3500HD CCLB DRW Duramax L5P, Banks Derringer/Idash/CAI 60 gallon fuel transfer tank
    2018 Solitude 310GK with Kodiak disc brakes 4000 lb Dexter springs, frame stiffeners
    RETIRED Maint Supervisor, Certified Welder, ASE Master Tech, Owner tire shop

Site Sponsor
    Kerrville, TX RV parks through April 2020
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "Pulls great", "Don't even know it's back there". I am guilty also of being out of proper weight range (see signature). I don't attempt to rationalize, it is wrong. But I just get somewhat agitated with the weak rationalizations of the "inconvenience" of a dual rear wheel truck, safety of my family and others on the highway not especially important. Because we have become part year RVers, replacing one vehicle is the plan. It probably will be the truck- we love our 337 and my rationalization to going to a DRW is that our 6 speed automatic is regarded to have a life of 200K because the overdrive clutches are supposed to be a weak link. Any insights from others?
    AKA Steve and Lynne
    Storm the Black Lab
    Reflection 337 RLS vin 573FR3628E3300393
    2008 Dodge Ram 2500 Quad Cab Longbox
    6.7 Cummins, 68 RFE transmission
    B and W Companion, Air Lifts

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rationalizing can mean different things. One some truck models, the difference between a 2500 and a 3500 is simply springs, tires and the sticker on the door. So does this mean that someone who owns a 2500 truck and upgrades tires and springs and treats the truck like a 3500 is wrong? I really don't think so, but that doesn't mean that a lawyer couldn't beat the person up over it if something went wrong. Juries typically go along with the best argument.

As to your trucks' transmission, it is hard to say. In the diesel community Dodge automatics don't have a very good reputation and most aren't making it to 200k if they have been worked hard.
    2023 GMC 3500HD CCLB DRW Duramax L5P, Banks Derringer/Idash/CAI 60 gallon fuel transfer tank
    2018 Solitude 310GK with Kodiak disc brakes 4000 lb Dexter springs, frame stiffeners
    RETIRED Maint Supervisor, Certified Welder, ASE Master Tech, Owner tire shop

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12