Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Equalizer E4

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Equalizer E4

We just purchased an Imagine 2670MK along with an Equalizer E4 WDH. The dealer is going to set it up for us when we pick up our trailer next month. When I inquired about the installation process they use, they claim that the trailer does not need to loaded "as we would load it for travel " to properly set up the WDH. Yet, from my reading of Equalizer's installation instructions and numerous WDH set up videos, loading the trailer as it will be loaded for travel is a first step. Should I be concerned about their set up methodology? Thanks for your help, Frank.
    Frank & Jolynn Martin
    Litchfield, MN
    Mabel & Bailey, Golden Retriever Fur Kids
    2019 RAM 3500 CTD, CC, LB, B&W Turnover Ball, AirLift 5000 Bags
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 4440# CCC, Reese 20K GooseBox, 8K EOH Disc brakes, RV Airflow, SoftStartRV, 2-206AH SOK batteries, Victron Multiplus II, Victron 30A DC2DC,790W of Solar, Flex Armor Roof, Blu Tech Water Filtration, BlazeCut Fire Suppression

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think they can be adjusted if necessary.
    2018 Freedom Elite 24FE, 2 Yorkies, and my wife MARILYN, HAM call K0LCB. Traveling around this great country, making friends and seeing lot of beautiful and interesting places

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I had a pull behind and was using a distribution hitch I could adjust the tension on the hitch bars. I would adjust up or down until the truck and trailer was level. You do not what the front of the truck nose high. Once you do this several times and you begin to travel loaded the same way, you will set it the same the rest of the time.

Keep everything level and towing and braking will be fine.
    2018 Momentum 376TH
    2016 RAM 3500 Dually

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fmartinmn View Post
    Should I be concerned about their set up methodology?
    Frank,

Curious how the setup of your Equal-i-zer hitch is working out?

I would be concerned about a dealer that doesn't recognize the potential need to adjust the weight distributing hitch after the initial unloaded setup. I've had both good and bad experiences regarding adjustments to our new Equal-i-zer hitch from our dealer. First the bad experiences: a couple of the junior service technicians tried to argue that taking spacer washers away would put more pressure on the spring arms (wrong), that it's better to raise the L-brackets instead of adding spacer washers (it's more nuanced than that), that he knows better than to strictly follow the manufacturer's instructions (oh really?), and that there's only so much adjusting you can do to a weight distribution hitch and at the end of the day it's just going to have some sway (that sounds discouraging). For the good experience: the head of the service department asked if he could ride down the road with me to understand exactly what I was experiencing, recommended some adjustments that are more in line with what I had in mind as well, and then said that he's confident that with a few more adjustments they'll be able to get the hitch to perform as it should. Our Imagine is getting a couple of minor warranty repairs right now, but I expect to get the hitch adjusted again when I go pick up the trailer.
    Joe & Joy + children
    2018 Imagine 2800BH
    2022 F250 Crew Cab 4x4 Tremor, 7.3L V8
    Equal-i-zer 1,200/12,000 lb. hitch

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Frank, dealers almost never get the hitch adjusted exactly right anyway. The best way to get it right is to take the truck and trailer (loaded for camping & travel) to a truck stop scale.. sometimes called a CAT scale. These scales have separate platforms for steer axle, drive axle and trailer axles. You'll need 3 weight slips. First the truck alone, second truck and trailer with WD bars NOT engaged and finally truck and trailer with WD bars engaged. The objective is to have truck and trailer level and weight on the steer axle of the truck (hitched with bars engaged) nearly equal to the weight on steer axle with the truck alone. On my SOB trailer the dealer had it close as my steer axle was 200 pounds lighter when hitched to the trailer with bars engaged. I was not happy with the stability and control so I adjusted the hitch until I had only 60 pounds less on the steer than the truck alone reading and the change in handling was dramatic.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The set up is scheduled for tomorrow. I am taking all my stuff with me and will load the trailer and then take measurements. Next a trip to the local CAT scale. They claim if I am not happy with the set up, they will make adjustments. (Sounds like we may be doing this twice). I have weighed my truck twice before we bought the TT to make sure I had sufficient payload, so I know what my steer axle weight is. Thanks for the responses, I will let you know how it all turns out. Frank.
    Frank & Jolynn Martin
    Litchfield, MN
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 4440# CCC, Reese 20K GooseBox, 8K EOH Disc brakes, RV Airflow, SoftStartRV, 2-206AH SOK batteries, Victron Multiplus II, Victron 30A DC2DC,790W of Solar, Flex Armor Roof, Blu Tech Water Filtration, BlazeCut Fire Suppression

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well the saga is the same as Bill Davey posted earlier. I picked up the trailer & E4 on Friday , we had steady winds of 16mph and gusting to 25mph. The measurements all looked fine at the dealership. I started out with 37 1/2" at the front wheel well unloaded and it went to 38 1/2" loaded. after the WDH was engaged it went back to 37 1/2". The pitch of the trailer was 23" in the rear and 22" in the front. The handling was not comfortable at all, and I attributed it to the winds. But, when I reached the CAT scale I was surprised to see that even with the measurements being within specs I was 180# lighter on the steer axle. so... I am going to try raising the brackets one notch as per the instructions and see if that alone will correct it. The instructions say to add washers first then adjust brackets second but I don't have a big enough torque wrench to re torque the head and the dealership is 90 miles away. If that doesn't correct it, then, back we go.
    Frank & Jolynn Martin
    Litchfield, MN

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How's your tongue weight? I notice that unloaded, the 2670 has less than 10% on the tongue. Maybe shooting for 13% when loaded will help. As far as sway goes, tongue weight is your friend. Check out this video
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2fkOVHAC8Q
    Contrary to what your dealer says, you really need to adjust the hitch to distribute the tongue weight as towed. Your trailer has a GVW of 8495 lbs. A conservative 12% of that on the tongue would be 1000 lbs or so...

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fmartinmn View Post
    I am going to try raising the brackets one notch as per the instructions and see if that alone will correct it. The instructions say to add washers first then adjust brackets second but I don't have a big enough torque wrench to re torque the head and the dealership is 90 miles away. If that doesn't correct it, then, back we go.
    Frank,

If there is an automotive shop close to your house, they might have the proper tools for those shank bolts to let you add spacer washers. There's a local auto body shop that we've done business with for several years, and when we had our previous travel trailer I had them make some adjustments to the hitch head angle because I didn't have the right tools at home. I didn't mind paying them for half an hour of shop labor since I trusted that they would do it right.

When adjusting the height of the L-brackets, keep in mind that the spring bars will make the flattest contact with the L-brackets (and therefore provide the most effective sway control) if the spring bars are parallel with the trailer frame.

Good luck.
    Joe & Joy + children
    2018 Imagine 2800BH
    2022 F250 Crew Cab 4x4 Tremor, 7.3L V8
    Equal-i-zer 1,200/12,000 lb. hitch

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Chief, My tongue weight with the storage bay only loaded is 860#. Other 2670 owners here report a fully loaded trailer tongue weight to be 920-960#. I think I will be right in that ballpark when I am fully loaded as well. Based on 960# would be equal to 8000# GVW for the TT The dry weight for my trailer is 7114. so... I have about 900# of trailer payload to work with. Based on my previous camping experience, this is plenty for just my wife & I. I am familiar with the video you posted as it was part of my education process. Thank you for taking the time to post it and thank you for your help. Frank.
    Frank & Jolynn Martin
    Litchfield, MN

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast