Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Front cap paint

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just clarify where we drove it was on the I 15 the whole trip or interstate driving.There was some snow and I guess what ever they spread on road maybe sand and salt mix perhaps. But regardless trailer cap looks horrible, my dealer is dealing with this right now. I’m not a auto body or paint person, but there was no paint missing of my truck anywhere, my thoughts are paint is to thin. I have seen this on less expensive vehicles before. Thanks for your thoughts!

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Diamond shield or something similar is probably the best thing. We had that on the front cap of our Newmar and it worked really well at keeping the nicks and dings down to a minimum.

I realize the bed liner comment was probably tongue in cheek but keep in mind that stuff is really heavy.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Typo in my earlier post.
    Should read:
    Following inspection, BMW pro painter immediately acknowledged there was not enough additive (flex / adhesion promoter) in the paint mix.

My experience with paint is like many things in life. Pay me now, pay me later. Prep work and time is the key to laying down the base. Sanding and polishing is the icing.
    Given proper prep, thin paint should adhere just as good as any paint thickness.

Great observation on the truck paint. Auto manufacturers understand prep in their processes.
    Best of luck.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I added the 3M clear to the lower part of our 313RLTS right after we bought it. With the curves and shapes, not an easy install (and I'm not very good). It has stopped a lot of rock chips in my opinion. If I ever find a professional to do it right, I will have him peel off I what I put on. I went up 2' and did not go behind the propane tanks.
    Robert/Sandy/Lily (mini Yorkie)
    2015 Grand Design 313RLTS
    2008 Dodge 2500 Cummins (modified)
    Past units: 85 Holiday Rambler TT, 88 Jayco 5th wheel, 91 Avion 5th wheel, 94 Hitchhiker 5th wheel, 2000 Discovery motorhome, 2001 Mountain Aire motorhome, 2005 42' Travel Supreme motorhome, 2014 Outback TT

http://i.imgur.com/cie9h38.jpg

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have you considered a trailer hitch mud flap like this? It should protect the area under the overhang but as for the cap itself, nothing short of either tougher paint or clear film will protect it from chips. You could always see if a professional could apply big sheets of clear protective film like Xpel over it to protect the cap. I have it on the entire front half of my truck and over the dually fenders.

https://c1.rt-static.com/images/prod...-mud-flaps.jpg
    2017 Ford F450 - our kids call her "Big Red"
    2018 Grand Design Reflection 28bh

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The front cap paint on my 2015 Solitude is holding up very well but my frustration is elsewhere. There are numerous chips in the front decal and the white chips show up very much on the brown cap. Anybody else have this problem? John
    John & Carol Souza
    Happily Retired and currently living in Cottonwood, Northern California
    2015 Solitude 368RD
    2010 RAM 3500 DIESEL

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLexx View Post
    Have you considered a trailer hitch mud flap like this? It should protect the area under the overhang but as for the cap itself, nothing short of either tougher paint or clear film will protect it from chips. You could always see if a professional could apply big sheets of clear protective film like Xpel over it to protect the cap. I have it on the entire front half of my truck and over the dually fenders.

https://c1.rt-static.com/images/prod...-mud-flaps.jpg
    If i recall with these( Expensive) is you have to leave then on the shank and i don't want my WDH left on the truck driving around and run the risk of damage. I maybe wrong if i am corect me.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep, you are correct. Mud flaps like the Rock Tamer brand and some others bolt to the receiver, no receiver no mud flaps.
    I made my own with some angle aluminum and truck mudflaps cut a little shorter. Bolted them right to the bumper with stainless steel hardware so they are there whether I'm pulling the camper, the boat, whatever.

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm actually thinking of getting Duraflaps brand for the rear wheels. The Rock Tamer won't protect the truck rear fenders down low. Duraflaps seem to be one of the better values especially compared to Gatorbacks.

https://duraflap.com
    2017 Ford F450 - our kids call her "Big Red"
    2018 Grand Design Reflection 28bh

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Say now, would you look at those!!! Thanks for the link, I'm saving that. I bought some other pretty nice flaps for the wife's Burb, but I may have to reconsider for the duraflap!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast