User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ^^Interesting information.

Of course different RVs based upon different tank locations will deliver different numbers.
    2018 Momentum 376TH
    2016 RAM 3500 Dually

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cate&Rob View Post
    Jim - This must mean that your fresh water tank is well forward of the trailer axles. I thought the fresh water tank was always kept over the axles .

Rob
    Not always. My previous toy hauler the fresh water tank was located just forward of the axles.
    2018 Momentum 376TH
    2016 RAM 3500 Dually

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cate&Rob View Post
    Jim - This must mean that your fresh water tank is well forward of the trailer axles. I thought the fresh water tank was always kept over the axles .

Rob
    Rob - Actually, it is well forward of the axles which I didn't catch when we were purchasing the unit. I haven't dropped the coroplast, but the white tank drain is 12 feet from the center line of the front axle, and 6-1/2' from the front of the trailer cap. It's no wonder I had so much variability in tongue weight. I'm now carrying both 2000# bars and 1500# bars to use depending on how I have the trailer loaded and whether I'm carrying a full tank of water or not.

Jim

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1/3 full. Enough to use the bathroom and wash hands while traveling with a little cushion for an unplanned delay. No point in hauling a lot of extra weight around. If it's that big a delay there usually is a hotel not far I do like the idea of filling it a little more when at the campground. We turn our water off when we leave. Cant tell you how many times I go in the trailer and forget to turn it back on. I usually realize that when I need to wash my hands . If its raining I could hit the switch and turn the water on when I am ready outside!
    Chris and Debbie
    St. Charles County, MO
    2007 Dodge Ram Cummins DRW
    2015 369RL Solitude

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LV Naturist View Post
    Although we are not fulltimers, our rationale still applies. We keep our fresh water tank full when we camp. Reason is, twice now in the years we've been RV'ing the campground has lost water. Once at a campground near Jacumba CA, the well pump went bad and it took 3 days to get fixed. Another time at a different campground there was a water main break and we were without water for 2 days. At least with the fresh water tank full, we had water. We then feed off the tank for a day or so before we head home, so we aren't traveling with full tanks. Prepare for the worst and hope for the best.

John
    This has happened to us. Some people think we're crazy traveling with a full tank, but after being the only one with water, who cares what they think.
    2018 Reflection 315RLTS
    2013 F350 Ultimate Lariat PSD/CC/LB/FX4

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 315RLTS in PA View Post
    This has happened to us. Some people think we're crazy traveling with a full tank, but after being the only one with water, who cares what they think.
    I think it is wise to travel with some water in the tank, the amount will have to be up to the individuals comfort level and trailer weight situation. 1/3rd to 1/2 should be sufficient for immediate needs. Then you can always fill the tank during setup (assuming there is water). Then use as much of the tank water as you can before departing, leaving enough for potty breaks and the unexpected during travel.

John
    2018 Silverado LTZ 3500HD CC LB 4X4 DRW Duramax/Allison
    2019 Momentum 381M w/Full Body Paint
    2016 Can Am Spyder F3 Limited Special Series
    2017 Can Am Outlander 1000 XT-P
    2016 Wrangler Hard Rock Unlimited
    1997 Bayliner Capri 1950 affectionately named Skinnydipper
    MSgt, USAF (Ret)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Will be dragging mine around as empty as possible tank wise and topping off at the last opportunity when boon docking. Plan on a total dump when leaving a campground hookup and minimal fresh water fill before the next trip. I'm weight challenged with my tow rig so every little bit helps.

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have to throw out another thought to mix things up. After reading water leak horror stories on this forum over the last three years, we began the routine of filling the fresh water tank when setting up camp. We shut off the city water supply and use the onboard pump and draw from the tank. That way if a leak develops, it is limited to whatever amount is left in the fresh water tank.
    Gordo Fuchs
    Northfield, Ohio 44067
    2015 305RE Moryde I/S, Electric/hydraulic disc brakes
    2008 Dodge Ram 3500 Cummins

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gordofuchs View Post
    I have to throw out another thought to mix things up. After reading water leak horror stories on this forum over the last three years, we began the routine of filling the fresh water tank when setting up camp. We shut off the city water supply and use the onboard pump and draw from the tank. That way if a leak develops, it is limited to whatever amount is left in the fresh water tank.
    We're doing the exact same thing. We fill the freshwater tank at the camp site, then shut the city water off, and run off the tank. Any time we leave the trailer for any extended period of time (i.e. grocery shopping, etc.) we shut off the water pump. We also do this when we go to bed at night. There is enough water in the lines to flush the toilet if need be.

When we travel, I leave enough freshwater in the tank to flush the toilet a could of times during the day. We'll usually stop and set up camp by 3:00 - 4:00 pm so we're only talking about a 6-8 hour day of travel.
    2016 Grand Design Reflection 313RLTS
    2020 Riverstone 39FK
    2016 Ford F350 Super Duty 6.7L Powerstroke Lariat 2WD DRW

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I carry only five gallons of fresh and add five gallons of clean water after flushing the black, so traveling with 10 gallons of water, or about 85 pounds. Only enough for a couple of flushes and a hand wash.

I use city water when possible, but I have got into the habit of closing the valve on my Y water splitter every time I leave the camp site (close the awning too).
    2017 Ford F350 Platinum 6.7L PowerStroke DRW
    2017 Solitude 379FLS

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast