User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Empty or full fresh water tank?

I’m new to the full timer club but had a quick question that I can’t seem to find an answer for. Should I keep my fresh water tank full or empty? I’m connected to city water but see that my fresh water tank is full from the dealer.🤔. Thanks in advance!

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by USMCHappyCamper View Post
    I’m new to the full timer club but had a quick question that I can’t seem to find an answer for. Should I keep my fresh water tank full or empty? I’m connected to city water but see that my fresh water tank is full from the dealer.��. Thanks in advance!
    We usually put a little in our fresh water tank (maybe 1/4-1/3 full), even if we're headed to a full hookup site. You never know if you'll wind up not making it all the way to where you think you are that night. Have you sanitized your tank? It's a good idea, if you haven't.

When headed for boondocking, we fill up just before we get where we're going.

2017 Reflection 26RL "Mili"
    2016 Ford F250 Extended Cab Gas Engine "Buck" (the truck)

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Although we are not fulltimers, our rationale still applies. We keep our fresh water tank full when we camp. Reason is, twice now in the years we've been RV'ing the campground has lost water. Once at a campground near Jacumba CA, the well pump went bad and it took 3 days to get fixed. Another time at a different campground there was a water main break and we were without water for 2 days. At least with the fresh water tank full, we had water. We then feed off the tank for a day or so before we head home, so we aren't traveling with full tanks. Prepare for the worst and hope for the best.

John
    2018 Silverado LTZ 3500HD CC LB 4X4 DRW Duramax/Allison
    2019 Momentum 381M w/Full Body Paint
    2016 Can Am Spyder F3 Limited Special Series
    2017 Can Am Outlander 1000 XT-P
    2016 Wrangler Hard Rock Unlimited
    1997 Bayliner Capri 1950 affectionately named Skinnydipper
    MSgt, USAF (Ret)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm fighting weight restrictions (mostly tongue weight, and all of our tanks are forward of the axles), so we keep only enough fresh water to flush the toilet a few times while we're traveling between camp sites. Same thing when we travel home.

Now John brings up a good point that I haven't considered when we're at full hookups, that of filling the tanks and working off of them. I'll have to try that next time we go out.
    2016 Grand Design Reflection 313RLTS
    2020 Riverstone 39FK
    2016 Ford F350 Super Duty 6.7L Powerstroke Lariat 2WD DRW

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LV Naturist View Post
    Although we are not fulltimers, our rationale still applies. We keep our fresh water tank full when we camp. Reason is, twice now in the years we've been RV'ing the campground has lost water. Once at a campground near Jacumba CA, the well pump went bad and it took 3 days to get fixed. Another time at a different campground there was a water main break and we were without water for 2 days. At least with the fresh water tank full, we had water. We then feed off the tank for a day or so before we head home, so we aren't traveling with full tanks. Prepare for the worst and hope for the best.

John
    That is a scenario I had not thought about. I will be doing that from now on. I can fill the waste tanks with the extra water before the final dumping, which makes for better dumping anyway. I do travel with about 1/4 tans of water for on a road travel use.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We are full-timers but rarely boon dock in our travels. I keep our tank about 1/3 full as we have had multiple occasions over our 4 years on the road where water in a park failed. In fact it happened this past week in Laughlin, NV where someone ran over and broke a water line at their site and water had to be shut off to the entire park during repairs. We just switched to the tank and carried on taking our showers.

I do dump and sanitize the FW tank twice a year since it is not in constant use. I would never travel with full tank because of the weight.

Alan
    Alan and Kathleen
    2015 Momentum 380TH (RVD2)
    2014 Ford F350 Dually (Stormtrooper)
    2012 Honda Goldwing Navi/ABS (Land Speeder)

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We travel with 1/3 full tanks also. Last month we traveled through NV to central AZ. Stopped for an overnight in Beatty NV. & Kingman AZ because of snow. At night in Beatty the lows were in the 20's, we don't carry an elect. hose anymore as I have had them fail way to many times. Had enough water for a shower ;-). The whole trip lows hovered around freezing, so we filled our tanks & ran off them while we were gone. On the way home had to stay in Reno because of snow & chain restrictions. They had a broken water main in the morning. I use to hate carting the extra weight...but not so much any more.
    Paul, Sue & Wonder Dog Zane
    '18 Solitude 310 GK
    "15 F-350 6.7, DRW, CC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    John,
    Great point, never thought of the campground water supply going off.
    Thanks
    Tom
    Tom and Sandi
    2017 337RLS

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I'm heading out soon for some dry camping and there is no water available close to where the camp site is. So I just put my Sherline scale under the tongue of my 297RSTS and measured the difference between empty and full. Starting weight was 1330#. When the tank was full, the weight went up to 1560# My fresh water tank is 60 gallons, so the total weight is about 500 pounds, and the measured tongue weight change is 230#.

That's a lot of weight to be hauling around if you really don't need to.

Jim

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TucsonJim View Post
    I'm heading out soon for some dry camping and there is no water available close to where the camp site is. So I just put my Sherline scale under the tongue of my 297RSTS and measured the difference between empty and full. Starting weight was 1330#. When the tank was full, the weight went up to 1560# My fresh water tank is 60 gallons, so the total weight is about 500 pounds, and the measured tongue weight change is 230#.

That's a lot of weight to be hauling around if you really don't need to.

Jim
    Jim - This must mean that your fresh water tank is well forward of the trailer axles. I thought the fresh water tank was always kept over the axles .

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast