User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gordofuchs View Post
    I have to throw out another thought to mix things up. After reading water leak horror stories on this forum over the last three years, we began the routine of filling the fresh water tank when setting up camp. We shut off the city water supply and use the onboard pump and draw from the tank. That way if a leak develops, it is limited to whatever amount is left in the fresh water tank.
    Sounds like a good plan, but our FW tank holds well over 100 gallons full. By the time that leaked into the rig, the damage would be done. Making sure system integrity is solid is the best solution.

Sometimes stuff just happens. Our first leak was on our first trip out after living in the rig for 30 days to make sure everything worked. I noticed at our first stop that the pump kept running. I got into the basement and the floor was wet. Took the walls down and found that the little clip on filter on the pump had popped up on one side and allowing the pump to leak. Stuff happens.

Alan
    Alan and Kathleen
    2015 Momentum 380TH (RVD2)
    2014 Ford F350 Dually (Stormtrooper)
    2012 Honda Goldwing Navi/ABS (Land Speeder)

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I always run full. You never know when you will get stranded.

Years ago I blew a water pump on my 1995 F250. Was leaking badly. We ran 100 miles stopping ever 20 or so to refill the radiator. I ran with the radiator cap off to slow the leak and as soon as I saw the temp rise stopped and refilled. We went through about 30 gallons of water. This got us to the nearest repair shop in the middle of nowhere Nevada.
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Always another thought is when leaving your rig for the day, besides retracting the awnings, also turn off water and propane from the supply. Never know...........
    Tom and Sandi
    2017 337RLS

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been reading with interest the various FW tank usage habits of you all. You have convinced me to change our habits. Right after we got the new RV, we did flush the FW tank out and check the pump for proper operation and leakage from the pump lines and so forth but have not used it since.
    You see, since our FW tank is just 3 feet back from the front cap and can hold 46 gallons and since we never boondock we anticipated never really using it. Never wanted to tow with the additional water weight right on the tongue since we are close to our rated hitch numbers as it is.

GD placed the tanks in order front to back Fresh H2O, Black Tank, Grey Tank 1 and lastly Grey Tank 2 which ends up right over the axles. I wish they would have reversed the order of the holding tank placement or at least placed the FW tank 2nd or 3rd in the order. Since you would normally tow with the dirty tanks empty, that would have taken the weight off the tongue. But then again it would have placed the FW tank weight right on or close to the axles that are already weight challenged with 4400 pound axles and E rated tires with a GVWR of 8995. I think that is why they placed the tanks as they did and put that FW tank weight as close to the hitch as they could. Put the responsibility on the owner to buy a higher rated hitch to handle the FW weight.

Sorry I got side tracked on my thinking and the purpose of this post - anyway if we don't use the FW tank and pump once in a while can we really depend on it always being ready for use if we need it. Also there is the issue of hard water build up on the water valves and damaging their operation if they are never turned to a different position. Also to keep in mind is the stagnate non use of the FW tank. Should keep it clean and flushed with fresh water from time to time.
    I need to use my tongue weight scale and just see how much weight 1/3 of a tank FW will actually add to the tongue weight just as a reference for the future. I'll get my wife inside to keep an eye on the monitor and fill the tank until it reads 1/3 full to check out the additional weight. Thanks Jim for your weight numbers it gives me some perspective. I understand your need to have available different hitch weight bars.

Next time we go out for a weekend or so I think we will fill the FW tank 1/3 or 1/2 full and then use off it just to keep things flushed out and freshened and the pump used. We could always dump the rest through the FW tank drain line if I dont want to tow with the extra weight.
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gronk1 View Post
    We travel with 1/3 full tanks also. Last month we traveled through NV to central AZ. Stopped for an overnight in Beatty NV. & Kingman AZ because of snow. At night in Beatty the lows were in the 20's, we don't carry an elect. hose anymore as I have had them fail way to many times. Had enough water for a shower ;-). The whole trip lows hovered around freezing, so we filled our tanks & ran off them while we were gone. On the way home had to stay in Reno because of snow & chain restrictions. They had a broken water main in the morning. I use to hate carting the extra weight...but not so much any more.
    I have a travel trailer, so room in the truck for a 30 gallon water tank. Not only saves me from issues of trailer weight and no water at campground, but also allows refilling trailer on a long stay. It sits up in the front of the truck bed and gravity feeds into trailer (no pump). 3/4 ton truck doesn't even notice when tank in truck bed is full. Total cost about $125 with tank and fittings..

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123