Likes Likes:  0
    King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

LP Gas Alarm Observations

I'm currently re-configuring the inside of my 297RSTS in order to fit another bed inside for a country music festival next week. I've removed the table and chairs and installed an queen size inflatable bed. But the bed was touching the LP gas alarm and for safety sake, I moved it to another side of the kitchen island. These are some observations I made:

1. The LP alarm has a life of 60 months after retail sale. So if you have a 2013 unit, it's time to think about replacing it. Here's a photo that shows the front of the alarm and the 60 month statement:

So the expiration date starts from "retail sale", and not the production date of the alarm. My alarm was built on 9/1/16, but the trailer wasn't completed and sold to me until 10/15/17 which is over a year later. I guess they are going by when the unit will be powered up. The manufacturing date is stamped on the back of the alarm:

2. Power Consumption. The front of the alarm states the power consumption is 108 mA. The stamp on the back of the alarm states it's 90 mA. If you have one 90 amp hour battery, and this is the only parasitic load you have, you'll reach the 50% state of charge in about 17 days at 108 mA.

On my 2014 337RLS, the alarm was always powered up, even when my battery disconnect was turned to the off position. I assumed it was the same for my current trailer. But when I turned off the battery disconnect this morning, the LP alarm was powered down also. You can tell by the LED on the alarm. I'm not sure when GDRV made the change. It would be interesting if other owners could check theirs and respond.

P.S. I will have four women staying in the trailer with me at the country music festival next week. God help me.

Jim

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In my 2018 303RLS the battery disconnect turns off my alarm too. I am still going to put a separate battery disconnect on top of battery just to make sure all power is off and no parasitic drain on battery while in storage this summer.

Jerry
    Jerry & Camille
    2018 Silverado Double Cab 2500HD D/A Z71
    2018 Reflection 303RLS
    Curt A16 Slider
    Past RV's: 2003 Keystone Hornet 27BS, 2013 Keystone Laredo 301RL

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "P.S. I will have four women staying in the trailer with me at the country music festival next week. God help me."

Jim

You're a brave man my friend!

Maybe consider bringing along a "man cave" tent.

BTW, a few simple wiring changes under the tongue of my 315RLTS makes the battery disconnect a true disconnect without adding another disconnect to the mix.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    “My alarm was built on 9/1/16, but the trailer wasn't completed and sold to me until 10/15/17 which is over a year later. I guess they are going by when the unit will be powered up.”

Hi Jim,

I know it’s your trailer, but we bought ours about the same time. I’m pretty sure it was “2016”, not “2017”. Forgive me if I’m wrong...

Good luck at the festival!
    Steve & Sue (pups:Sky & Sierra) Gardnerville, Nv
    2017 Refelection 297RSTS
    2017 Ford 350 CC 4x4 Lariat Superduty 6.7, Long Bed

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve7 View Post
    “My alarm was built on 9/1/16, but the trailer wasn't completed and sold to me until 10/15/17 which is over a year later. I guess they are going by when the unit will be powered up.”

Hi Jim,

I know it’s your trailer, but we bought ours about the same time. I’m pretty sure it was “2016”, not “2017”. Forgive me if I’m wrong...

Good luck at the festival!
    uh-oh... Yep. 2017 model purchased in Oct 2016. Is this the proper way to spell "oopsie"?

Jim
    Last edited by TucsonJim; 03-27-2018 at 09:05 PM.

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good to know that the disconnect terminates the alarm as well.

Have fun on the trip, I'd make sure to invite my old friend Jack Daniels to come and keep me company. That is a lot of estrogen.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jim,
    My LP detector also powers down when battery disconnect is disconnected. As a matter of fact, I appear to be one of the lucky ones with no detectable power draw when switch is disconnected.
    Steve & Sue (pups:Sky & Sierra) Gardnerville, Nv
    2017 Refelection 297RSTS
    2017 Ford 350 CC 4x4 Lariat Superduty 6.7, Long Bed

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TucsonJim View Post

P.S. I will have four women staying in the trailer with me at the country music festival next week. God help me.

Jim
    Is that a spinning inflatable bed you're installing, Jim?
    Curtis, Christine, Cole, and Charlotte

2007 Chevrolet Silverado Duramax LBZ, CCLB
    2020 Momentum 351M