User Tag List

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLexx View Post
    Hmmm.....I have a Roku 2XS, which is an older unit. I am not able to get it to play all my files on my portable HD. In fact it doesn't even see all the containers. I thought it might be an issue with naming so I renamed all the files and still had the problem. Interestingly my old Western Digital Media Player had no issue seeing all the files but it's interface is slow and not appealing. I'm going to need to look at a newer Roku unit. If it indeed sees all the files and can playback MKV/MP4/etc then that would be way easier than setting up a PLEX server.

BTW with the restrictions on noise in the campground I figure we'd get some headphones for watching after 10pm.
    This is what we use for headphones Sennheiser RS120 On-Ear Wireless RF Headphones with Charging Dock. I bought a supplemental set (2nd set without base, charger, etc.) so we can both listen.
    2016 Grand Design Reflection 313RLTS
    2020 Riverstone 39FK
    2016 Ford F350 Super Duty 6.7L Powerstroke Lariat 2WD DRW

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    BTW with the restrictions on noise in the campground I figure we'd get some headphones for watching after 10pm.
    Ya, got to be careful with the subs when you got paper thin walls compared to a house. We had a camper that was 3 spots down that we could hear the thumping of a sub inside the coach...it wasn't like they had it cranked even...could only hear the thump. Another neighbor knocked on his door and he was cool and shut it down...

I really have to watch the music volume myself as I am deaf and use a cochlear implant to hear but I often don't realize how loud I have stuff. My wife is pretty good and keeping my volume down tho...
    2018 Reflection 303RLS
    2006 Chev 2500HD Duramax CC/SB/4X4
    Superglide2700 Bakflip F1

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GHerrin View Post
    I understand that you would be streaming locally PC(Plex) -> Roku, but does this setup still require a live internet connection for Plex or Roku to function? Internet is pretty poor most places we camp and using a hotspot can get expensive.
    I have used my Roku 4 to watch Plex with no internet connection. Just have to tell it to proceed anyway when it complains about no connection.
    Chris and Karen - currently on the coast of the Olympic Peninsula

Roaming the country full time with our 2018 312BHTS Reflection behind a 2016 Ram 3500 6.7 Cummins and two preschoolers who are highly addicted to camping.

Follow our adventures @brownsignjunkies

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lizardqing View Post
    I have used my Roku 4 to watch Plex with no internet connection. Just have to tell it to proceed anyway when it complains about no connection.
    Yep. No Internet connection required.
    2020 Riverstone 39FK

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, Im toying with the idea of setting up the Plex server off my laptop with media players at each tv. Only problem is the laptop really won't be powerful enough to render more than 1 stream at a time.

I've tried the Roku at my house using a WiFi connection (both 2g and 5g) and the results were less than satisfactory. I found that I would end up with a lot of buffering. Hardwire would work way better. But in a small trailer where the tv/media box is only 15 ft from the router (and through paper thin walls) the connect should in theory be much more robust than a similar set up at home.

If instead you go with a hardwired HDMI connection, how would you run the HDMI from the central tv/media station to the bedroom tv? I'm not confident that I can fish the wire all the way over there without destroying the paneling.
    You have to specify bandwidth or you'll get buffering on 3g/ lte depending on connection speeds. Default can be 1080p60 which is some serious bitrate. Drop that down some and it works really well.

Local has no such restrictions. No internet required it works over your LAN

If you stream in a codec supported by the device, day mp4, there is no encoding and almost anything will work. Regardless, you can build a media pc super cheap of you need to encode streams.

If you use a Roku, that connects to the tv, no wire runs. Fishing wire is easy though. Make hole, drop fish tape down, go to basement connect wire, pull through, repeat on other side.

If you have specific questions shot me a PM I'll gladly help you.

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Aridon View Post
    You have to specify bandwidth or you'll get buffering on 3g/ lte depending on connection speeds. Default can be 1080p60 which is some serious bitrate. Drop that down some and it works really well.

Local has no such restrictions. No internet required it works over your LAN

If you stream in a codec supported by the device, day mp4, there is no encoding and almost anything will work. Regardless, you can build a media pc super cheap of you need to encode streams.

If you use a Roku, that connects to the tv, no wire runs. Fishing wire is easy though. Make hole, drop fish tape down, go to basement connect wire, pull through, repeat on other side.

If you have specific questions shot me a PM I'll gladly help you.
    Thanks.

Most of my files are MKV. If I can just attach the Roku and portable HD directly to the tv set, then I wouldn't even need a network.

It would be better that way so that the kids have only kids movies on their set, we have more mature movies in our bedroom, and then more general stuff on the set in the main room.

Yes, it does sound like pulling the wire would be fairly simple assuming I can get to all the areas where the wire would drop down.

I don't mind building a small server. I'm building a 30 Tb dual xeon CPU server right now for the home.
    2017 Ford F450 - our kids call her "Big Red"
    2018 Grand Design Reflection 28bh

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with your assessment on the electronics. Upgrading to a better unit and sound package is on my bucket list.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not aware of any travel trailer that is able to play Blu-ray discs. I don't know why that is. Maybe a licensing issue?

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nighthawkmiata View Post
    I'm not aware of any travel trailer that is able to play Blu-ray discs. I don't know why that is. Maybe a licensing issue?
    No. The manufacturers don't want to have additional SKUs to manage, and it adds too much cost to their build. That's why you see a lot of junk (Thomas Payne seats, Furrion, etc.) put into trailers. Kinda like "you can have any color you want, as long as it's black."

Can you imagine how the auto industry would be if they followed the business model of trailer manufacturers?
    2020 Riverstone 39FK

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thomas Payne is owned by lippert components which is a lot of the reason they are used so much in campers

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Truck: 2005 Dodge 3500 diesel dually 6 speed crewcab with 9.5’ flatbed and 120g fuel capacity

Trailer: Sold - 2006 Fun Finder 240XXX (custom graphics)
    Current - 2019 GD 150 series Reflection 290BH

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast