Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I may be way off here but are you sure the 50 amp breaker isn't being thrown? Mine would start bringing the jacks up and then it would pause then they would come up a little more than pause and then I would get the red light flashing. The pause was the 50 amp thermal breaker resetting. I finally changed to the 80 amp breaker as recommended on this site and all is well.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have never seen the previous post about switching to an 80 amp breaker, do you know what the title was so I can search for it? Thanks for the heads up and I will have to look into that further.
    We started with a old 24ft stick and tin in 2006, then purchased our first new trailer in 2013 with an Ecplise 23SCG thinking this would be our last trailer. That was until we unexpectedly took in a family members children on top of the 3 we had, so we now have 1 biological and 4 adopted children for a total of 5 children. So here we are, just purchased a new 2018 Momentum 388M to keep our sanity with seven people and two 100 lb dogs. We like primarily dry camping in the forest but try to take the children every summer for a 2-4 week adventure showing them different parts of the country. Thanks to my job as a Paramedic Firefighter I get to spend a lot of time camping with the children throughout the year.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is one thread that discusses replacing the 50A with an 80A auto-resetting circuit breaker. Reply #5 gives some details on the part.

https://www.mygrandrv.com/fo...or-Slide-Outs?

Chris
    Chris & Karen
    Fort Collins, CO
    2017 F-350 SRW 6.7 Lariat Value CC LB 4x4
    2018 Solitude 310GK - Sold 7/2023

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Warranty issues with 6 point leveling system and my dealer

Let me give you my experience. I really think this will help.
    I manually raise the front of the camper and hook up. Make believe I went somewhere (just pulled down 400’ driveway), parked and unhooked camper by lowering jacks manually. Pulled truck away and hit “auto level”. Camper levels itself. I noticed the front of the camper was higher than when I unhooked. Next I hit “hitch height”. This is where the the middle and rear jacks retracted. Once those came in, the front lowered exactly to where I can hitch up.
    My understanding as I’ve said before, once you’ve hit “auto level” it remembers where it was when you unhooked. BUT, if the front goes lower than when you unhooked, hitting “hitch height” faults. It did on me. I just manually hit the up bottom, slide under and hooked up.

I hope this helps. If this doesn’t, call Lippert support. I’m just explaining what my dealer did and showed me when I picked up my camper 4 weeks ago.

Happy Camping

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Tom and Stacey
    TV - 2008 F350 Lariat DRW, 6.4 (done up) 8"bed, B&W3000 OEM Companion, Firestone Airbags w/ Wireless One compressor
    RV - 2018 GD Momentum 351M

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This goes out to Markmiller639 and anyone else who may be interested.

I have a plan!

After much reading of many different threads and further research on the internet, I am seriously leaning toward the theory that the problem lies in the fact that GD is using a 50 amp breaker when they should be using an 80 amp breaker. Everything I found by reading Lippert installation manuals say the 6-point leveling system requires an 80 amp breaker.

After 2 hours of running all over the county, and searching the internet, trying to fine a "ShortStop" 80 amp breaker to match the 50 amp breaker being used on my Momentum, I have concluded that they do not make an 80 amp breaker in the ShortStop physical size. I wanted the breaker to be the same physical size in order to fit right onto the breaker board without having to make any modifications in order to install it. Also the cost of this type of breaker is relatively cheap. I wanted to stay cheap to test out my theory before making any larger investment.

Now I plan on purchasing the Bussmann 80 amp breaker that others have used and shown pictures of in other threads in this forum. I have fount them online for around $25 and on up pushing $50. We are leaving this week and I will not be able to install an 80 amp breaker until we return in roughly 10 days. When we return I will install and report on how everything works.

If making this upgrade is the solution to this problem, then I say say shame on you Grand Design. If GD is using the wrong size breaker to save money and not using the proper size, shame on you. If GD is using the ShortStop style breaker in order to be able to mount the breaker with their breakers on the breaker board in order to facilitate ease and time of manufacturing, then shame on you. This is only reasons I can come up with and both are not acceptable.

I have contacted GD customer service and a voice text reply that was returned to me and I quote, "I believe it has a 50 amp fuse and you should never draw more than 50 amp". Now this is vague response with "I believe" and "should never" and could be interpreted as they were not sure. That is the way I have interpreted their response. If I prove myself to be wrong, I will be the first to apologize to Grand Design for assuming what I have stated here. I do not understand how the manufacture (Grand Design) would build the unit with a breaker that Lippert (the designer and manufacture) requires a different size breaker.

I would greatly appreciate anyone from GD to chime in here and show me the errors of my way. I will keep you updated.
    2018 Momentum 376TH
    2016 RAM 3500 Dually

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vonzoog - I don't think you will have to apologize. After I made the switch to the 80 amp breaker, the 6 point level system has worked flawlessly. I am sure others will tell you this is a bad idea and I don't recommend it as a permanent fix, but a quick test to see if it is the breaker is to bypass it and see if everything works normally. I had to do that once just to get the legs to come up until I got the 80 amp breaker installed.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the info. I thought about once by-passing the breaker. Then I thought with my luck I would screw everything up.

I found a work around that works for me because on the hitch height process all of the jacks were coming up except one that only came up a few inches and then everything would shut down. So I would go ahead and hitch the truck to the trailer and then activate the all jacks up sequence and it would work every time . I guess by the time I hitched the truck up the breaker had time to cool down and reset. I don't know for sure, yet, but I still think I need the 80 amp breaker. We'll see.
    2018 Momentum 376TH
    2016 RAM 3500 Dually

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for all the info, I am going to bring this up with the dealer Monday morning and see what they have to say. I could see the jacks requiring short loads high enough to trip the 50 amp breaker but not long enough to be dangerous. Hopefully if enough people come forward we can get Grand Design to offer a fix? I am going to call Grand Design as well on Monday morning.
    We started with a old 24ft stick and tin in 2006, then purchased our first new trailer in 2013 with an Ecplise 23SCG thinking this would be our last trailer. That was until we unexpectedly took in a family members children on top of the 3 we had, so we now have 1 biological and 4 adopted children for a total of 5 children. So here we are, just purchased a new 2018 Momentum 388M to keep our sanity with seven people and two 100 lb dogs. We like primarily dry camping in the forest but try to take the children every summer for a 2-4 week adventure showing them different parts of the country. Thanks to my job as a Paramedic Firefighter I get to spend a lot of time camping with the children throughout the year.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Warranty issues with 6 point leveling system and my dealer

Mark, Any update on your issue?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Tom and Stacey
    TV - 2008 F350 Lariat DRW, 6.4 (done up) 8"bed, B&W3000 OEM Companion, Firestone Airbags w/ Wireless One compressor
    RV - 2018 GD Momentum 351M

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The dealer will hopefully be troubleshooting the jack system today and let me know what they find. Hopefully we will finally get some answers.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast