User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

RV Damaged in Delivery

We are soon to be the proud owners of a Solitude 310GK. This is our first RV. It was due in to the dealer this week. We received a call yesterday from the dealer that the driver had scraped up the side and the unit had to be returned to the factory to repair the skirting and repaint it (we got full body paint). We have total confidence in Grand Design but since we are total rookies, is there anything we should be aware of or look for specifically when we take delivery in the next several weeks?

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don and Patty - You have nothing to worry about. The factory service/repair center is the best-of-the-best. They will not hesitate to replace anything that is even slightly suspect. (They have every original part that they might need, at the factory right across the street.) They will go over your Solitude with a fine tooth comb and it will be even better than if it had come directly from the production line. I speak from experience, having had complete sidewalls replaced at this facility.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I have to agree with Rob on this one. The team working in that facility are the finest techs they have. They worked on both of my rigs and found and repaired things I didn't even know were an issue.

Jim

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So if you were buying a new car or truck and the dealer smashed it up would you still accept it? I think they should offer an undamaged unit. How bad was the damage? As good a GD is, I know my unit had a few problems right out of the box.
    If you take it you should get photos, and extended coverage in case anything goes wrong that could be related to this damage. We all know that the warranty is very short.
    Ron & Sue
    2016 Reflection 337 RLS
    2011 Chevy 2500 HD Duramax

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    unlike some car dealers that repair scratch and dents before selling the new rigs and not telling the buyer, his RV dealer alerted him to the damage before the sale. Yes, inspect the damaged areas before the sale is completed.
    2019 GMC 3500 HD:)
    2016 Reflection 313RLTS:cool:

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd pay particular attention to the axles, tires and their relative distance to the center point of the RV.

Then again you should do that regardless as a common issue on any trailer is alignment and abnormal tire wear.

Site Sponsor
    Kerrville, TX RV parks through April 2020
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here I go again, thanks to Aridon. Yes, his suggestion is on target. Based on my experience, RV dealers and manufacturers do not have any or adequate alignment equipment to determine accurately axle location and proper wheel alignment angles. Hunter HD truck alignment equipment does this job very well.
    AKA Steve and Lynne
    Storm the Black Lab
    Reflection 337 RLS vin 573FR3628E3300393
    2008 Dodge Ram 2500 Quad Cab Longbox
    6.7 Cummins, 68 RFE transmission
    B and W Companion, Air Lifts

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting thread, this is a late addition but figured since I had a similar situation with a new boat, I might chime in on how I handled it. few years back I purchased a new boat while attending a boat show in Ft. Lauderdale, FL. prior to final purchase & delivery, I had scheduled a water test, which went perfect so all I needed was for the dealer to install a few additional accessories and I was ready to finalize payment for delivery. The day before delivery I got a call from the dealership informing me the boat was involved in a "minor" traffic incident (funny how they avoided the word accident...) . The dealership assured me the boat would be repaired and to reschedule deliver 2 weeks.

I immediately informed the dealership that I would not take delivery of that particular boat, for me if I am paying $50k+ for something "new" it must meet that qualification. Something that is wrecked and repaired is no longer new in my book, especially if I was not responsible for the damage, For the TT example, no mater how good GD's reputation is for repairing its RV's the fact is simple, the RV suffered damage, the purchaser has no involvement with the damage, purchase bough new, purchaser deserves new... not a repaired version.. just my 2 cents worth...
    Rig: 2018 Grand Design - Imagine 2500RL
    Tow Vehicle: 2018 F150 - Black on Black - SuperCrew XLT-FX4 - 3.5L EB w/3.31 LSD - MaxTow/Haul - 5Stare Tune - Luminar Ceramic Tint w/UV - UltraFlex TBed Cover
    Garage Queen: 2018 BMW ///M240i Convertible - Loaded - Dinan Stage 1 Tune - MPE

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We just drove from South Carolina to the factor service center in Middlebury, IN to repair damage due an accident with our new 2800BH. We didn't want a local dealer or other repair shop doing the repair. The factory service center made it look like new again and while we were there they found an additional problem that we did not know about and fixed it under warranty. We are very impressed by the quality of work by the factory service center and would not be at all concerned about any repairs done there.
    Wanda & Jim and Tedi Doodles
    2020 Reflection 337 rls
    2019 Silverado 3500HD Dually

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It seems like a good sign that they did not try to deliver the vehicle with the damage.

This should be encouraging and not grounds for further suspicion, right?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast