Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Florida spring advice

I live near Tampa and am looking to do more springs over the next few years. So far we have only been to lithia springs which was beautiful. I've scuba dove many Florida springs at a younger age w my dad, but would like to do more camping with my kids.

Anyone been to juniper springs w a camper, I know they don't have electric hookup so a generator would be necessary. I haven't been there in over ten years and i tent camped.

Be also had a site at blue springs last year, but hurricane Irma ruined that.

Looking for opinions/recommendations for Florida springs good for families. (I've heard some are just a college party/not family friendly).

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Places we have enjoyed over the years, some of them I wouldn't be able to get my Momentum into, just check ahead.

Rainbow Springs state Park, they have a really good float program for the Rainbow River, cool clear water.

We were headed to scuba dry suit training at Manatee Springs State Park one year, they were already booked, to we went to Otter Springs RV Park and Campground nearby. I think it started out as a state park then was taken over by the county and later sold to a private operator, or something like that. Really old Florida hammock country, nice pool.

Ichetucknee Springs State Park is another good float place. O'leno State park nearby has a disappearing river.

Silver Springs is a little more commercialized, but finding the wild monkeys is interesting.

Weeki Watchi mermaid show may seem droll to many, but I enjoyed.

Great memories all.
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are a lot of options. I'm not a huge fan of diving springs, although I've done it a few times. Defuniak area has a lot of options. I remember one has a volkswagon bug sunk as well as a 20 or so ft boat and a few other man made reefs. I can't recall the name of the spring as it was 20 years ago. Holy crap did I just type that? 20 years. Wow. The volkswagon is probably gone by now lol

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Aridon View Post
    There are a lot of options. I'm not a huge fan of diving springs, although I've done it a few times. Defuniak area has a lot of options. I remember one has a volkswagon bug sunk as well as a 20 or so ft boat and a few other man made reefs. I can't recall the name of the spring as it was 20 years ago. Holy crap did I just type that? 20 years. Wow. The volkswagon is probably gone by now lol
    Aridon- Do you mean Vortex Springs? We have never been but heard it was awesome to visit
    Jon & Tami- Mechanicsburg PA
    2015 Ram 3500 Laramie longbed 6.7L Cummins/ Blue Ox Sway Pro
    2018 Reflection 297RSTS

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know devils den did some bs man made spring, prob about 20 years ago......I remember when it was being "built"

I've dove most of those mentioned, but didn't even know some of them had camp grounds

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by northerner View Post
    Aridon- Do you mean Vortex Springs? We have never been but heard it was awesome to visit
    It's not vortex haven't been there. They have a cave there which would be an interesting dive. I need to go there and check it out.

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One of our favorites, for families, is Hart Springs. It is a county park. Address is Bell, FL it is 9 miles N of Chiefland then go E on 26 a mile or two, then one angled left and another left. Watch for signs. Just down the road from the already mentioned Otter Springs.
    Three springs, big diving dock and beach areas. Not sure if diving is allowed? Rv park has a pool too, if you get tired of cold water.
    Scott and Jan Platt Ocala, FL
    Cameron(Son) & Chica(chihuahua)
    2014 Reflection 337RLS
    2015 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD 4X4, Crew Cab, Dually, Diesel
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We are in Tampa area as well and are going to try out the Suwannee River Rendezvous over Memorial Weekend. They have a spring called Convict Spring on sight. There is also an entrance to a cave system there. We haven't been there, but it came recommended from a friend.