Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hughes Autoformer. I purchased the 50 amp model and keep it in a 5 gallon bucket to keep it out of sight and the weather. I cut a couple of big holes on the sides of the bucket to allow for the cables. I use a bicycle type cable with lock to secure it to the electrical pedestal at the site. I've used for a year now at different campgrounds with no problems. Highly recommend it.
    Eric & Monique Cope...never left at home, our dog, Olive. Machipongo VA.
    2017 350M
    2017 F350 DRW, Crew cab, 8 ft bed, 4.10 axle. 27,500 lb. Reese Hitch
    Live by the Golden Rule!

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Chere Zeke View Post
    If I get the 50 amp one do I also need to buy a 30 amp one for those occasions that we have to use the adapter?
    No. If your rig is 50 amps, the 50 amp unit is what you install. The dogbone adapter (30 amp) goes at the pedestal between the outlet and your 50 amp cord. The EMS protects you from ALL sorts of issues.

On most of the GD units, installation of the hard-wired units is done behind the breaker panel (in the side door of the buffet in our 337). Access is not an issue - just buy an extra pigtail of the extra-heavy-duty cable so you don't have to cut what's coming in from the outside and end up short.

The advice on the hard-wired version and security is good advice.

I've never met a full-timer that doesn't use an EMS of some sort. Ours has saved us thousands of dollars in appliance repair or replacement in the past 2.5 years.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We use the Surge Guard portable model #34850 on ours and used the portable model #34830 version on our previous travel trailers. Surge guard is a division of Southwire which is a multi-national corporation manufacturing cable, electrical components and tools for just about every purpose. https://rvpower.southwire.com/produc...ge-protection/ I’ve been in the construction business for 28 years and was familiar with Southwire so was most comfortable going that route. Progressive seems to be a good company also and many on this forum report good results with them. The key here is to pick the option you are most comfortable with and be protected. To me it was never an option to connect without some type of protection when considering safety and the potential cost of replacing replacing damaged appliances and electrical components. I like the flexibility of the portable unit and have devised a reliable way to secure it to the RV pedestal while in use. Good luck!
    The Adams - 2017 Reflection 367BHS, 2019 F-350 6.7L PSD 4x4 CC DRW, B&W hitch on Ford pucks, Air Lift Loadlifter 5000 Ultimate Plus air bags, "Rupert" the Weimaraner.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12