Likes Likes:  0
    Setting Up Camp
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Norcold 2118 Refer Issues

We recently purchased a 2018 Solitude 344GK. It’s beautiful, really! When we brought it home to try everything out, we found that the Norcold #2118x refer didn’t cool. After trying everything we could think of, we took it back to the dealer and they looked into it. What we’ve since learned is that the refer works famously on AC if you are level, not at all if you aren’t level. Our home is on a slight hill which causes it to be off-level but that’s something we can deal with (however it is the first time in 25 years of RV’ing that we’ve had to level to get the refer to work when we’re packing up to go on a trip). The next problem is far more serious which we are still in utter shock about. The Norcold refer will not work on propane above altitudes of 5500’. Let that sink in. We live in Colorado and fully ½ of the state is above that altitude. It begs the question of why would you install a refer in an RV then market it in Colorado that won’t work in half of the state? Not to mention the many, many other states in the USA that are mountainous. Think of it this way, you’re on your way thru the mountains and have to boondock in a WalMart or Cracker Barrel parking lot for the night and your refer stops working because you are hooked up to propane? Not everyone carries a generator around to power the refer, relying instead on propane.. The information above comes straight from Norcold. I did not make this up!

We believe this to be a design flaw (a big one) on the part of GD and am reaching out to them to see what can be done to solve this problem. At the very minimum, there should be a big sign in large letters indicating the limitations of the refer and offer a substitute refer that isn’t bound by the altitude it is being used at. That at least gives the potential buyer the option to look at something else. Which BTW, Norcold does make a smaller refer that will work on propane at altitudes of 5500’ and above. Sounds like a better solution for the RV’er who travels in the mountains.

Mentioned
    229 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You could have bought the 344GK-R that uses a residential refer.

There are many brands that use the same Norcold refer, so it is not only limited to Grand Design...
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is it ALL the Norcolds that don't work above 5500 ft, or just models? We're about to take deliver of a Reflection 28bh with the 12 cu ft side by side Norcold. This is a concern because we're going to be vacationing in the Canadian Rockies.
    2017 Ford F450 - our kids call her "Big Red"
    2018 Grand Design Reflection 28bh

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the 28bh has a Dometic side by side refer. My 2018 337rl has a Dometic 12 cu. ft.side by side.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I work on washers and dryers for a living. Sometimes we need to convert the dryer to propane from natural gas. There is a orifice kit to do this. It has different sizes, depending on altitude.
    GD should be able to supply the correct gas orifices for the higher altitude.
    Backpacker and tent camper all my life, including BSA as a kid and adult.
    Motorcycle trips across the USA with a tent - 1978 to Present.
    02-10-2005 - 2002 F350 SWD PSD and 2003 Citation 10'8S mostly for Crater Lake Ski Patrol.
    10-29-2015 - 2016 Grand Design 380TH. It's HUGE compared to a camper.
    10-19-2018 - traded truck for a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie CC 4 X 4 Long Box.
    03-16-2019 - Traded Momentum for a New 2018 374TH-R Solitude
    FULL TIME RV'er Nov 2021

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 242 checkmate View Post
    I think the 28bh has a Dometic side by side refer. My 2018 337rl has a Dometic 12 cu. ft.side by side.
    My 2018 28bh has a Dometic 12cu fridge.
    2018 3500HD Chevy Duramax CC SB
    2014 2500HD Chevy Duramax CC SB(sold)
    Pullrite 2700 Autoslider
    Timbrens
    2018 28bh 5th wheel
    X23B Jayco (sold)
    1991 Pop-up (sold)
    Tent (might bring along so I know what camping is like again)

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dometic....whew! Good to know. Now we can have ice cream in the Rockies
    2017 Ford F450 - our kids call her "Big Red"
    2018 Grand Design Reflection 28bh

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is great info- - we pick our 344 up in 2 weeks in Tampa, Lazy Days, then head to Monument 7200' before headed to Black Hawk, 9500' for a month.

We sold our home in Monument last fall and plan on buying land and build in Gillpin county. , so it would be great if the fridge and furnace work at altitude. I'll be watch the posts for your GD fix

Joe & Michele