Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Trailer Sway Update

So I was on the phone with the dealership trying to find a solution to my problem that the forum was helping me with on the post below. I can say without a doubt the forum is more helpful than they was. A representative actually told me that some trailer just don’t like to be pulled fast. The bad thing is he’s probably told other people this before and they actually listened to him. His solution to find the proper tongue weight was to make sure the truck is level while using my weight distribution hitch. I was getting quite frustrated with him, told him that if I couldn’t pull a trailer over sixty miles per hour we have a major problem. So I guess I can’t pull my 312BHTS over 60, not sure how I’m going to leave the state of Georgia like that, Grand Design really dropped the ball. The bad thing is the guy actually got another guy on the phone that was equally unhelpful. Has anyone here pulled there 37’ Reflection travel trailer with a 2500 or 250 truck, if so what hitch did you use and how good did it pull?

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't have a 312BHTS or any TT for that matter (yet), but I've done enough "homework" that I've purchased a tongue scale so I'm ready when the day finally comes when I own one. Getting the right percentage of weight on the tongue is vital to proper towing of a TT. You may need to add weight in the front or move weight to the rear--a tongue scale is one way to do it without having to go to a CAT scale.

https://sherline.com/product/sherlin...-weight-scale/

If I remember correctly the 312BHTS is the heaviest of the 37'ers, so I'm guessing the 0-2000 lb model is the one you may need.

Not convinced? Check out this YouTube video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qXkIM0QZeE
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW 6.7L Platinum
    2019 315RLTS (purchased 16 Jul 18 from Campers Inn RV in Byron, GA)

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tongue weight is important, but there are a number of factors that go in to the equation and all need to be considered. Its as much art as science. And after you get all that set up, there's sway control.

You can tweak the setup and go drive it then tweak it some more and some more, but a CAT scale is a good way to get in the ballpark right from the beginning. Base your calculations on Max gross weight - not empty weight or the weight you think you'll be at, etc.

There's a lot of good (and bad) advice in some of the forums and it won't take long to figure out what the good advice is.

You've got a BIG trailer (tail) behind you that can easily wag the dog so your life will be much happier when you get the bugs out of the setup. Good luck.

Best,

John
    John and Jean
    Springer Spaniel furkids Mea and (the late) Molly
    Blogs - BataanMissing.com - AirSafety.info
    2017 Ford F-350 6.7L CC SB, Andersen Ultimate Hitch.
    2018 Reflection 337RLS fifth wheel.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've got a 308BHTS which is the same trailer as yours weight wise. I use a blue ox wdh, I recently upgraded my bars to the 2000lb bars because of additional batteries and weight in the front storage compartment. I tow mine with a 2500hd duramax and it tows great with no issues. When setting up your wdh hitch get on level flat ground and set the trailer level front to back and measure what your hitch height is and set your ball about 1" higher than that. When hooked up and towing my camper actually sits about 1" lower in front than in the back and tows like a dream. I also have airbags that I air up to around 20psi just to make the ride a little smoother, it only raises the back of my truck about 1" and the difference in ride is amazing. Blue ox makes a great hitch and it controls the sway like they advertise. Made a trip to SD last summer and fall and with the SD wind blowing and semi's passing the trailer stayed right behind the truck no swaying at all.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I tow a 37' 313RLTS with my truck without problems, so your 2500 should handle it as well.

Something that might be causing problems could be nothing to do with the hitch, but rather with inflation of trailer tires, trailer tire balance, and things of that nature.

Check to make sure all 4 tires have the same tire pressure. If that doesn't help - and you've got all the weight measurements already and ruled tongue weight out - then look further into whether the tires are properly balanced. I know it's a PITA, but there's got to be a reason for getting this sway issue.
    2016 Grand Design Reflection 313RLTS
    2020 Riverstone 39FK
    2016 Ford F350 Super Duty 6.7L Powerstroke Lariat 2WD DRW

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the 313rlts also, use a reese straight line hitch with the dual cam sway control. Once I got things worked out, it tows great. Been from the West coast to the East coast with it and never had any problem even with high side winds at times.
    2019 GMC 3500 HD:)
    2016 Reflection 313RLTS:cool:

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by timsos View Post
    So I was on the phone with the dealership trying to find a solution to my problem that the forum was helping me with on the post below. I can say without a doubt the forum is more helpful than they was. A representative actually told me that some trailer just don’t like to be pulled fast. The bad thing is he’s probably told other people this before and they actually listened to him. His solution to find the proper tongue weight was to make sure the truck is level while using my weight distribution hitch. I was getting quite frustrated with him, told him that if I couldn’t pull a trailer over sixty miles per hour we have a major problem. So I guess I can’t pull my 312BHTS over 60, not sure how I’m going to leave the state of Georgia like that, Grand Design really dropped the ball. The bad thing is the guy actually got another guy on the phone that was equally unhelpful. Has anyone here pulled there 37’ Reflection travel trailer with a 2500 or 250 truck, if so what hitch did you use and how good did it pull?
    About that 60 mph limit, I have a 312BHTS and if I remember correctly the tires are speed-rated to 65 mph.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I usually tow around 60mph, as that is the speed I feel most comfortable and the sweet spot for mpg.
    2023 Ram 2500 Mega diesel
    2023 Imagine 2910
    Gone but not forgotten:
    2018 Imagine 2400BH - with chaise lounge

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have you setup the truck properly? You need to return the front of the truck close to the original height as possible. If you measure the front fender well and have 40" unloaded then after hitching up you need to get as close to 40" as possible but not less than 40". Don't worry about the rear of the truck. Make sure the TT is parallel to the ground or slightly nose down if you can't get parallel.
    You also need to weigh the TT's tongue to see if you have enough tongue weight. Inflate your TT tires to the max. Air up the truck tires to the appropriate psi for the weight they carry.
    Depending on what brand tires are on the Reflection TT you should be able to run 65 mph of more. Max speed is on the sidewall.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by goducks14 View Post
    Have you setup the truck properly? You need to return the front of the truck close to the original height as possible. If you measure the front fender well and have 40" unloaded then after hitching up you need to get as close to 40" as possible but not less than 40". Don't worry about the rear of the truck. Make sure the TT is parallel to the ground or slightly nose down if you can't get parallel.
    You also need to weigh the TT's tongue to see if you have enough tongue weight. Inflate your TT tires to the max. Air up the truck tires to the appropriate psi for the weight they carry.
    Depending on what brand tires are on the Reflection TT you should be able to run 65 mph of more. Max speed is on the sidewall.
    I have to respectfully disagree with the advice to have "not less than" 40" on the front fender as that indicates that it is OK to unload the front axle when adding weight to the rear. It doesn't take much and reducing the weight on the front axle can cause many trucks to feel like you're driving on ice. I never had much success setting up a WDH using a tape measure to check the wheel well heights.

I suspect that lightening the front axle may very well have been the OP's original problem.
    John and Jean
    Springer Spaniel furkids Mea and (the late) Molly
    Blogs - BataanMissing.com - AirSafety.info
    2017 Ford F-350 6.7L CC SB, Andersen Ultimate Hitch.
    2018 Reflection 337RLS fifth wheel.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast