Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by goducks14 View Post
    Read thru Fords towing section in the owners manual. I think you'll find that Ford recommends to return at least 50% or lost weight back to the front end but not more than 100%. If 40" is the unloaded height you don't want 39". Won't matter about what the front weighs or not. If you bring the front back to 50% or less then you've achieved all that necessary.
    Ford just wants to sell trucks.

Did you notice in their 2015 towing guide that they changed the prior 10-15% tongue and 15-25% kingpin weight recommdndations to 10% and 15% respectively? There's a lot of overweight GD RV's out there according to Ford.

Feel free to set up the hitch based on wheelwell height rather than weight and see how it pulls. Who knows, it might work.
    John and Jean
    Springer Spaniel furkids Mea and (the late) Molly
    Blogs - BataanMissing.com - AirSafety.info
    2017 Ford F-350 6.7L CC SB, Andersen Ultimate Hitch.
    2018 Reflection 337RLS fifth wheel.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TucsonJim View Post
    And just when you think you have it all figured out, other drivers start flashing their brights at you because you're blinding them.

Jim
    HAHA My Nissan Titan has a little 3-way switch that allows me to adjust the height (aim) of the headlights when towing (low, medium, high). Took me awhile to figure out why that control was there LOL
    2016 Grand Design Reflection 313RLTS
    2020 Riverstone 39FK
    2016 Ford F350 Super Duty 6.7L Powerstroke Lariat 2WD DRW

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Never heard of that switch, but that's a cool idea. I thought they were flashing to tell me it was happy hour or it was time to stop for the night.
    John and Jean

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthTX View Post
    Ford just wants to sell trucks.

Did you notice in their 2015 towing guide that they changed the prior 10-15% tongue and 15-25% kingpin weight recommdndations to 10% and 15% respectively? There's a lot of overweight GD RV's out there according to Ford.

Feel free to set up the hitch based on wheelwell height rather than weight and see how it pulls. Who knows, it might work.
    Not sure where you're reading that. This is a copy and paste from the 2015 Ford Super Duty Pickup Trailer Towing Selector page 3. Looks like 10%-15% and 15%-25% to me.

Select column with transmission, cab
    design and drive system (4x2 or 4x4)
    you prefer. Read down column to find
    the trailer weight that can be towed
    with engine/axle ratio combinations
    listed at left. GCWR column shows
    maximum allowable combined weight
    of vehicle, trailer and cargo (including
    passengers) for each engine/axle ratio
    combination. Maximum Loaded Trailer
    Weight assumes a towing vehicle with
    any mandatory options, no cargo,
    tongue load of 10-15% (conventional
    trailer) or king pin weight of 15-25%
    (5th-wheel trailer) and driver only
    (150 pounds). Weight of additional
    options, passengers, cargo and
    hitch must be deducted from this
    weight. Also check Required and
    Recommended Equipment.

If the front fender is 40" and you returned it to 40" after hitching then you've returned all the weight back to the front. No where does it say to weigh the front end in the owners manual. Any hitch place will measure the front end to set up hitches. It's because you're achieving the same thing as weighing. It's also way easier to measure than drive to the scales every time you change a link or add a washer.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The originals are no longer online and have since been revised (big red revised date at the bottom of the page).

Here's the 2017 version.

Note:
    Trailer tongue (trailer king pin for 5th-wheel towing) load weight should be 10% (15% for 5th-wheel towing) of total loaded trailer weight. Make sure vehicle payload (reduce by option weight) will
    accommodate trailer tongue (trailer king pin for 5th-wheel towing) load weight and weight of passengers and cargo added to towing vehicle. Addition of trailer tongue (trailer king pin for 5th-wheel
    towing) load weight and weight of passengers and cargo must not cause vehicle weights to exceed rear GAWR or GVWR. These ratings can be found on the vehicle Safety Compliance Certification Label.
    https://www.fleet.ford.com/truckbbas...wing_Guide.pdf

Set up your hitch however you want and argue with someone who cares.
    John and Jean

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Duplicate Post
    Last edited by SouthTX; 04-04-2018 at 11:52 AM. Reason: Duplicate Post
    John and Jean

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rapid1 View Post
    I always used chain bars...this might be a little different with bracket bars but the goal is the same.
    Different hitch manufacturers offer different suggestions regarding how much weight should be distributed to the truck's front axle. The Reese manual for Trunnion Style Weight Distributing Kit (part of the Strait-Line system) suggests that truck's front fender height with weight distribution engaged should match the unloaded height. The Reese manual for SC Weight Distributing Hitch suggests that both the front and rear fender heights of the truck should drop by equal amounts when the hitch is adjusted correctly. The Equal-i-zer manual suggests that the truck's front fender should rise when coupled to the trailer, but the amount of rise with weight distribution engaged should be half of the amount of rise without weight distribution. The Blue Ox SwayPro manual doesn't specifically address the truck's front fender, but rather suggests that the truck should be "level" when the hitch is adjusted correctly.

No wonder there's a variety of opinions offered on this forum regarding proper setup of weight distributing hitches!
    Joe & Joy + children
    2018 Imagine 2800BH
    2022 F250 Crew Cab 4x4 Tremor, 7.3L V8
    Equal-i-zer 1,200/12,000 lb. hitch

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123