Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Blue ox vs reese

So the family trailer I currently use is a Reese trunion with dual cam sway control. My neighbor has a blue ox "sway control" hitch.

I am finally in the market for my own trailer and hitch. Using the Reese hitch regularly, it has very obvious notches in the spring bars that lock in to the cams and unlock during full turns, backing etc. when going in a fairly straight line the hitch bars hold the notches and prevent sway in addition to the downward force from the spring bars.

The blue ox seems simpler and faster, but I don't see how it controls sway in comparison to the Reese. I watched all the YouTube videos and the best explanation is that as the trailer sways, the bar on the swaying side bends more, putting more down force on that side. I understand how they say it works, but I feel like the Reese with the cams and notches is a much more solid sway reducing hitch. The Reese does the exact same thing as the blue ox with the addition of the locking cams.

My point is everyone seems to love the blue ox, but to me it seems like an inferior hitch that is easier to hook up

Opinions???

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the bar on the swaying side bends more, putting more down force on that side.
    I've copied some of the Blue Ox Sway Pro discussions / reviews to my website at the link below. It helped me understand how it works to some degree. I think your explanation is basically correct, but I think the force is more lateral than vertical. I believe that is the reason for the design of the rotating brackets. The channel that the chain drops from and the short length of the chain below the bracket applies lateral pressure to counteract the sway pressures.

It may help to watch the video while reading the transcript in a side-by-side window.

http://www.klenger.net/sway-pro.html

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good read, I like everything about the blue ox i.e. Easier hook up, no frame drilling, no pins/extra pieces to keep track of.

Having never used it, I don't know how well it will control the trailer

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sweedish15 View Post
    Good read, I like everything about the blue ox i.e. Easier hook up, no frame drilling, no pins/extra pieces to keep track of.

Having never used it, I don't know how well it will control the trailer
    Sweedish - A little over a year ago, I switched from a fifth wheel to a 297RSTS travel trailer. My biggest concern was that I'd have to fight trailer sway. I did some research and went with the Blue Ox system. WOW! I've towed over 5,000 miles with it so far and I've had zero sway instances. I do notice a slight pull/push when a semi passes me, but it is so slight that it's not a concern. Another forum member followed us for several hundred miles last summer, and said that the tail end of the trailer was very stable and solid and he never saw even a hint of sway.

I did have to make a change though. I carry a lot of weight in the back of our F350. The 1500# bars were not enough. I switched to the 2000# bars and the front end of the truck came right back down to where it should be.

Jim

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jim and I are charter members of the Blue Ox Sway Pro Club. There are many others on the membership list also.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Guess I’ll have to go the other way. My Blue Ox on my Imagine 2670MK swayed all over the place. I did everything by the book. Tried to call Blue Ox for help. No reply. Emailed them. Also no reply. The Blue Ox will be for sale as soon as I get my ProPride installed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting. I've had nothing but quick and helpful support from BlueOx. Like most things it is all who you get on the other end of the line (or email)
    2019 2800BH
    BlueOx Swaypro BXW1500
    2017 Expedition EL XLT w/heavy duty tow package w/ Michelin Defender LTX LT275/65/18

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I too have had nothing but good experiences with Blue Ox, both their hitch and customer service. They helped me through a sway problem and verified my hitch setup. Say problem caused by original dealer setup and configuration.
    John
    US Air Force Retired
    2017 Reflection 315 RLTS
    2016 Dodge Ram 2500 Laramie Longhorn