Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Home Address

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Home Address

When you sell your home and full time, what do you use as your home address? Also, I was told if you move into a RV park full time, you cannot use it as your address? Thanks in advance for responding.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We use a mail forwarding address that is in, what use to be, our home town. They have us listed on our Oregon driver license as continuous travel with our mail forwarding address on the license.
    Randy & Sharon (Went full time April 14th 2017)

2016 Ram CC SB Outdoorsman 4x4 CTD
    Michelin 295/70R18
    Fold-A-Cover G4 tonneau,
    Dee Zee truck bed mat,
    Dee Zee tailgate assist,
    Dodge Ram 4x4 Steering Gear Box Brace
    Fumoto oil drain valve,
    Husky floor liners,
    WeatherTech No Drill Mud Flaps,
    Firestone Ride-Rite Suspension Kit
    Reece Pro Series 20K lb 5th wheel hitch

2018 Solitude 375res
    8K lb axles, springs & hubs with Nev-R-Lube bearings
    MORryde HD shackle kit with brass bushings & wet bolts
    Reece Sidewinder 19K lb pin box.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have a mail service who receives our mail and forwards it to us (General Delivery) wherever we are. We always have to check with the local PO to see if they will except General Delivery mail first. This has been working for us for the last 11 years. Enjoy your new lifestyle!!

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Escapees has a major mail forwarding operation and their forum has lots of information on this as home state impacts many things - taxes, medicare, drivers and vehicle licenses, etc. Texas and SD seem to be the most popular states for full-timers.
    John and Jean
    Springer Spaniel furkids Mea and (the late) Molly
    Blogs - BataanMissing.com - AirSafety.info
    2017 Ford F-350 6.7L CC SB, Andersen Ultimate Hitch.
    2018 Reflection 337RLS fifth wheel.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's important to understand the difference between just a mail forwarding service and establishing a domicile address. I'd go to escapees.com and look at the link on "domicile". Non-members still have access to that portion and can still review the info. It gives good guidance on the steps you need to take.

We've used them for our 4 years of FTing and now Livingston, TX is our domicile address, plus we use their mail forwarding service.

Alan
    Alan and Kathleen
    2015 Momentum 380TH (RVD2)
    2014 Ford F350 Dually (Stormtrooper)
    2012 Honda Goldwing Navi/ABS (Land Speeder)

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are several services that will help you establish your "domicile". We use St. Brendan's Isle in Green Cove Springs, FL because we lived in FL when we went full time.

Some things to consider:

When we were buying our new Momentum I studied up on taxes, registration, inspections, and insurance rates. All are effected by your domicile. I concluded that keeping our FL domicile would cost me approximately $400 more than SD, the main runner up. That was because the taxes were more, but the registration was less, so over time I would nearly make up what I paid in taxes. I didn't go with Texas because of the vehicle inspection thing. I didn't go with Montana LLC because of the recurring annual cost.

Have all of you bank accounts set up before you go full time. TSA has started an anti-terrorist thing asking banks to ensure new accounts are for people that have physical addresses. We have been refused a new account because we don't live in a physical address. There are ways around this but it was a hassle.

Our credit card number gets stolen about once a year, carry backup credit cards from a different bank. I only use my debit card to pull cash from bank owned ATM's

Using a friends or relatives address as a domicile works really good at first, but after a while it gets kind of old for them. Don't be a nuisance.

Faxage dot com will get you a fax number to email service, costs $3.50 a month.
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We went with Americas Mailbox in South Dakota. Had to stay one night in SD. Very nice and helpful team, helped us get our license, vehicle registration, and insurance.
    2022 Soitude 390RK-R GMC Denali
    Haoview camera system; Traxx automatic Water softer; RVLock V4.0 Keyless Entry; RV; Comfort System "Cheap Heat"; Dometic 510 Toilet; Eurgeen Small Dehumidifier; Bluonics RO water filter; AP 24-1002 Propane Tank Gas Level Indicator

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We just went thru this process. We used the escapees domicile information to set up residence in Florida. Florida worked for us but there are other state options that may fit your situation better. It's seems a bit overwhelming at first but in practice it is rather simple. I believe the domicile requirement is a government mandate under Homeland Security post 911.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have been using Dakota Post (aka Alternative Resources) for 10 years full-timing. Regardless of where we are, to date, we have had the mail forwarded to the CG we are in. I always call ahead to make sure the CG will accept our mail.

As far as using a CG as your residence, it depends on the state and their residency laws. I pend my winters In Texas where it is not uncommon for people to live in RV's in a campground rather than a mobile home park. This is legal in TX and the CG generally sorts out the mail for their residents. The CG we spend the winters at we actually have a street address, the CG and post office worked out something where they recognize the street in the CG. For UPS or FedEx we use the CG address.

I recently spent 2 months in S.D. and it appears they might work the same way. I'n not certain as I always use my address thru Dakota Post as they will always know where we are.
    John & Joyce
    2017 Solitude 375RES
    2018 Ford F-450 King Ranch
    I'd Rather Have More Truck Than I Need Than Need More Truck Than I Have

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you live in say GA full time, are you still able to form a Montana LLC and switch over the registration? We pay personal property tax each year on our fifth wheel. It was $540 this year. So you can see how it could be of benefit.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast