Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Home Address

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sworxx View Post
    If you live in say GA full time, are you still able to form a Montana LLC and switch over the registration? We pay personal property tax each year on our fifth wheel. It was $540 this year. So you can see how it could be of benefit.
    It goes beyond personal property taxes on your RV. You get hit pretty hard in GA on ad valorem taxes on the RV. You also have insurance rates on your rigs to consider as well as state income taxes. GA is okay not taxing retiree income if you do have social security and pensions as income. Note: Ad valorem taxes are no longer charged on motorhomes yearly, but high sales taxes are collected when purchased. There are many angles to consider.

As has been said, many RV owners domicile in South Dakota, Texas or Florida for a reason. Often, state income taxes or a lack thereof.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sworxx View Post
    If you live in say GA full time, are you still able to form a Montana LLC and switch over the registration?
    Yes, the Montana LLC is basically a business, your actual residence does not effect where your business is. When we bought our new Momentum I did a lot of math trying to figure out really how much it cost to domicile in different places. I didn't go with the Montana LLC for two reasons, one was in selling/trading the unit in I foresaw issues with title transfers, not big issues, little issues. The second was not the initial cost of setting up the LLC, it was the recurring maintenance cost the services where wanting to charge. You can save big bucks if you do it all yourself, I am not that confident a businessman/lawyer to say I could do this myself.

We are domiciled with St. Brendan's Isle in Green Cove Springs, FL, they started out servicing yachters, just a thought.
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I live in Minnesota and plan on staying here but want to live in the northern part of the state at a rv campground. Does anyone know if MN allows this?

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by arhayes View Post
    It's important to understand the difference between just a mail forwarding service and establishing a domicile address. I'd go to escapees.com and look at the link on "domicile". Non-members still have access to that portion and can still review the info. It gives good guidance on the steps you need to take.

We've used them for our 4 years of FTing and now Livingston, TX is our domicile address, plus we use their mail forwarding service.

Alan
    As several have alluded to, there's a lot more to domicile than just a mailing address - you can get into some legal hot water if you don't do things correctly. Here's the link to the Escapees domicile information:

https://www.escapees.com/education/domicile/

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ever since becoming A/D military, I've always used a PO Box wherever I go for the time I live in that area. I still claim residency in FL which is the address on my license, but haven't lived there in over 5 years. Every time I move to a different state, I forward mail to the next PO Box. USPS does a great job at making sure mail goes where it needs to.

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by vivienne_d View Post
    Ever since becoming A/D military, I've always used a PO Box wherever I go for the time I live in that area. I still claim residency in FL which is the address on my license, but haven't lived there in over 5 years. Every time I move to a different state, I forward mail to the next PO Box. USPS does a great job at making sure mail goes where it needs to.
    The rules are different for active duty military than for civilians or retirees. The best thing to do (unless active duty military) is to go over to the Escapees RV Club web site and read all the good material they have on legal domicile.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by arhayes View Post
    It's important to understand the difference between just a mail forwarding service and establishing a domicile address. I'd go to escapees.com and look at the link on "domicile". Non-members still have access to that portion and can still review the info. It gives good guidance on the steps you need to take.

Alan
    Agree with this. You need to decide between just the ability to receive your mail in which case you have your choice of mail forwarding services all across the country. On the other hand if you are looking to domicile, then you need to look carefully at different states tax implications, laws and of course personal concerns such as medical care and insurance, family concerns and the list goes on. The big three for domicile are South Dakota, Florida & Texas but each has differences, pros & cons. You are however not limited to those states, if another state works better for your given situation.
    Regards, Bruce, Lin An, Kenji & Suki (Our two Akitas)
    2019 Solitude 310GK-R
    2015 Ram 3500 Big Horn CC, TD, Aisin Tranny, DRW

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12