User Tag List

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hopefully the cost of solar panels, batteries and such will come down so more folks can afford to implement them. Til then, a lot of folks will probably stick with generators.

BTW DMB, nice setup! I can see many boondocking days in your future.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chiefblueman View Post
    ...BTW DMB, nice setup! I can see many boondocking days in your future.
    Thanks Chief.

$10k is not a typo.
    We have no desire to live in RV parks, we'll be boon docking as often as possible.
    We also have a Honda generator as a backup, but we'll rarely need to use it, thanks to this setup.

Resistance is Not Futile, It's Voltage Divided by Current.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do not find any temperature specs on the batteries. Most (all that I have researched) Lithion-Ion batteries whether they be LifeP04 or other Lithium chemistries do not like cold weather. More specifically if charged at an ambient temp below 32* F will destroy the battery. You can discharge them at lower temperatures, but not charge them. I have not been able to find any temperature reference at all on the Battle Born site. Have you discussed temperature rating with them?

Thanks,
    George
    George and Connie
    Commerce City, CO
    Webpilot
    Solitude 380FL
    2014 Ram 3500 Dually
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by webpilot View Post
    I do not find any temperature specs on the batteries. Most (all that I have researched) Lithion-Ion batteries whether they be LifeP04 or other Lithium chemistries do not like cold weather. More specifically if charged at an ambient temp below 32* F will destroy the battery. You can discharge them at lower temperatures, but not charge them. I have not been able to find any temperature reference at all on the Battle Born site. Have you discussed temperature rating with them?

Thanks,
    George
    Yea, pretty simple fix, heating pads under batteries, or a heated compartment. We'll have both.
    There are plenty of options on how to keep them warm, for people that want to take advantage of this technology.
    We'll be following the weather, so we'll hardly ever be in an environment that cold anyway. At any rate, the pros outweigh the cons big time when it comes to these batteries.

As far as price goes... I know a couple that said they can't afford a couple lithiums for $2k, yet they drive an RV that cost $100k more than ours.
    And I know people that spend $200 a month on cancer sticks saying that can't afford a popup.
    I guess it's about priorities.
    We knew from the get-go we wanted this type of setup so we structured the price of the RV around it in the budget.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If I was full time, I would definitely be chasing a Li-ion solution. Being part time and in Colorado, the cold issue makes it much more of a challenge.

Does the battery BMS have high voltage and low voltage disconnects built in to it?

Best wishes! Looking forward to learning more about how your system will be set up.

Thanks,
    George
    George and Connie
    Commerce City, CO
    Webpilot
    Solitude 380FL
    2014 Ram 3500 Dually
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by webpilot View Post
    If I was full time, I would definitely be chasing a Li-ion solution.
    Being part time and in Colorado, the cold issue makes it much more of a challenge.
    Does the battery BMS have high voltage and low voltage disconnects built in to it?
    Best wishes! Looking forward to learning more about how your system will be set up.
    Thanks,
    George
    Well, actually your typical weekender would still benefit from having lithium, due to the fact that these batteries charge back up in a couple hours versus a couple days for lead acid.
    There are a lot of other benefits, here's a short video listing a few of them, including the BMS...

YouTube Video

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks. I have watched most of their videos, but not that one.
    George and Connie
    Commerce City, CO
    Webpilot
    Solitude 380FL
    2014 Ram 3500 Dually
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveMatthewsBand View Post
    Well, actually your typical weekender would still benefit from having lithium, due to the fact that these batteries charge back up in a couple hours versus a couple days for lead acid.
    There are a lot of other benefits, here's a short video listing a few of them, including the BMS...

YouTube Video
    Yeah, great video. Thanks for posting.
    Paul "Poppy" and Deb Cervone
    2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    2021 Imagine XLS 17MKE - SOLD ; 2015 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS - SOLD
    2016 GMC Denali 3500HD SRW Duramax/Allison CC 4x4; Tire Minder TPMS

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Hey guys I added some photos up top!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveMatthewsBand View Post
    Yea, pretty simple fix, heating pads under batteries, or a heated compartment. We'll have both.
    There are plenty of options on how to keep them warm, for people that want to take advantage of this technology.
    We'll be following the weather, so we'll hardly ever be in an environment that cold anyway. At any rate, the pros outweigh the cons big time when it comes to these batteries.

As far as price goes... I know a couple that said they can't afford a couple lithiums for $2k, yet they drive an RV that cost $100k more than ours.
    And I know people that spend $200 a month on cancer sticks saying that can't afford a popup.
    I guess it's about priorities.
    We knew from the get-go we wanted this type of setup so we structured the price of the RV around it in the budget.
    The pricing is all relative. You're thinking long term and I applaud you for it. If I were going to be off the grid a lot, I would be doing the same thing. Well done and thanks for sharing it with us.
    2022 Ford F350 4x4 King Ranch dually
    gasser with speed transmission
    3.55 gears and pulling a 337 RLS

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast