User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Inverter and Shore Power

I know that the Generator and Shore power needs to be isolated and usually you have a transfer switch to keep them separate.

My question is can you mess things up if you turn on the inverter and you are still plugged into shore power?
    What keeps the inverter AC separate from shore power?

Reason for asking is I like to turn the inverter on before we leave so I don't forget to have it on when I unplug from house because of the residential Frig.

Thanks.
    Allen & Denise
    Ford F350 Lariat CC SRW SB 4x4 Diesel
    2018 Solitude 310GK R

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by yobigal View Post
    I know that the Generator and Shore power needs to be isolated and usually you have a transfer switch to keep them separate.

My question is can you mess things up if you turn on the inverter and you are still plugged into shore power?

Reason for asking is I like to turn the inverter on before we leave so I don't forget to have it on when I unplug from house because of the residential Frig.

Thanks.
    A good inverter will have an ATS built in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Resistance is Not Futile, It's Voltage Divided by Current.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks.
    I can turn on my Victron Multiplus with shore power. The transition to inverter power is immediate and seamless.

I suspect most inverters (like the Victron) when connected to shore power perform converter duty to charge your battery (or batteries). In addition, the Victron has an "assist" mode that works in tandem with shore power as needed.

More than you asked for...sorry...
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW 6.7L Platinum
    2019 315RLTS (purchased 16 Jul 18 from Campers Inn RV in Byron, GA)

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks.
    Did this inverter come pre-installed with the RV for the residential frig?
    The WFCO inverter's owners manuals (WF-5100, WF-5110R True Sine Wave Inverter) that come pre-installed for the frig say:

"Inverter Operation
    The WF-5110R Inverter is equipped with an internal transfer switch to automatically route either the incoming AC power or inverter produced AC voltage through to the output.

AC Pass-Through Mode
    When incoming AC power or inverter produced power is available, the transfer switch is designed to pass this voltage straight through to the inverter output.
    The WF-5110R Inverter power switch does not have to be in the ON position for Pass- Through to work.
    This mode will also work with or without a battery attached.
    NOTE: if the power switch is in the ON position and incoming power is lost, the WF-5110R Inverter will switch to invert mode to provide AC voltage to connected loads."
    - Gene

Kim & Gene
    2015 Reflection 317RST
    2017 Ram 3500 CC LB 4x2 6.7 CTD AISIN 3.73 DRW Auto Level Rear Air, BD3, Prodigy P3, Aux Tank

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The inverter did come with the RV so as described above it should have a transfer switch built in which makes sense.

Thanks everybody.
    Allen & Denise
    Ford F350 Lariat CC SRW SB 4x4 Diesel
    2018 Solitude 310GK R