Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hensley "Bump" Eliminated

I have read a few complaints about the Hensley Arrow "bumping" the tow vehicle under deceleration - either by using exhaust brakes or lightly pressing the brake pedal.

I do not claim this is a universal fix, but it worked for me - grease the TRUCK end of the drawbar.

What was happening in my case was the dry drawbar sticking in place until the mass of the trailer FORCED it to move forward.

This caused the drawbar to release suddenly and slam into the receiver pin.

The hitch receiver tube/pin/drawbar connection has a bit of slack in it, so you don't have to have a laser measuring device to connect them.

That bit of slack was what was causing my hitch to "bump".

By greasing the drawbar/receiver connection, there is no sticking friction to be overcome, so the bar slides SMOOTHLY to the back of the pin.

Smooth movement = no bump.

Try it, if you are having a problem with it.

It might just work for you, too.

Be safe!
    2023 Reflection 315RLTS
    2017 Ford F-350 Crew Cab Short Bed SRW, 6.7L Diesel
    Hensley Swift Arrow

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought the bump was the HA articulating to the one side. I had zero bump when I used it with my 2010 F150. When I moved up to my Ram CTD I had the bump numerous times every trip when using the EB and then touching the brakes. I did have some grease on it but not like the ball had. More of a thin film. Regardless it didn't matter for me. I will say though that the F150 OEM TBC was light years ahead of my 12 Rams. Much smoother braking which I figure contributed to zero bumps with the F150. FWIW bought my HA used for $950 and sold it for $900. Super great hitch.