User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Travel trailer hitch question

I tried to find the answers to my questions using the search function here but haven't found them yet. Hoping they're not dumb questions! I don't know much about pulling travel trailers so I figured I'd ask the community. My in laws have an older model 32' travel trailer that weighs roughly 7,000 lbs and has an estimated tongue weight of 815 lbs. They've towed it for many years with a Chevy Tahoe and weight distribution hitch and/or anti-sway hitch (is WDH the same as anti-sway?). They are upgrading to a new Ford F350 CC SB with 6.2L glasser. Would you still use a WDH/anti-sway hitch? If so, I'm assuming you'd need a drop hitch because the new Fords are very high off the ground. Do you require a special WDH with drop hitch? What are others using who have a Ford and pull a travel trailer? Thanks for the help.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It never hurts to use a wdh and I have a drop hitch and it works fine. The only thing is I have a dodge but there all very close to the same.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jason, here is what you need, an adjustable type head for height. Many of the really, really old hitch heads were non adjustable for height, they were welded together. Newer style heads are adjustable for height.

A Weight Distributed Hitch is pretty much required for all except the very lightest trailers. The newer WDH incorporate the anti-sway feature in the lift bars. Some old hitches had lift bars but used a separate anti-sway slider bar that mounted to little smaller balls on the hitch and trailer tongue.

Attached are two pictures both with adjustable heads for height. The older one has the smaller ball for a separate slider / clamp style anti-sway bar.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1385.jpg   IMG_1386.jpg  
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello, I don't pull with a Ford but do pull a travel trailer. Yes, you may have to upgrade the hitch shank (they make different lengths shanks for proper ball height) and a hitch if needed. If I was doing that I would get the shank that fits the new truck receiver instead of the 2" shank and have to use the adaptors in the receiver. Many of the delivery guys use a 1 ton rig for towing and do not use a WDH, I don't recommend this. Either way, a sway control of some type should be used. WDH with integrated sway is better than the friction sway bar set up in my opinion, but they both work.
    2019 GMC 3500 HD:)
    2016 Reflection 313RLTS:cool:

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks everyone for the info. I always try to err on the side of caution. I'm hoping the WDH they have will work with their new Ford. Even though they will have an F350, it still seems that using a WDH is the smart choice. Thanks again for the feedback.