Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sidewinder for Solitude

Hello everyone . I want to talk about towing my future Solitude 310gk with my 2016 F350 CC SRW 6'9" bed and factory prep. I know this is a subject that has been talked about a lot but the more I research the less confident I am about the direction I want to go in terms of hitch setup. I did purchase the B & W rvk3370 slider hitch but realized at approximately 270 LBS there's no way I'm moving that thing in and out of my truck when not towing. I'm not a kid anymore.(Who am I kidding ,even then I wasn't that strong). I was leaning towards the AUH but most Solitude owners seemed to say the turning radius was not good. The curse of having a wider trailer. Also not a fan of auto sliders again because of weight issues. I have been doing some reading on sidewinders and that seems to be the way to go for me. Can any of you short box drivers that are presently using a sidewinder tell me how well it's working for you and what brand and model you are using and if it matters as much about your 5th wheel hitch brand. Reese seems to be popular brand. I see some of them have some dampening built into the pin box.
    The RV should be here in a few weeks
    Thanks for any help on this

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a 20K Pro series Reece 5th wheel hitch and a 19K Sidewinder on my 375res. It works great. One of the best things I have done to my trailer. I have a 6' 4" bed and the trailer will not hit at 90degs.
    Randy & Sharon (Went full time April 14th 2017)

2016 Ram CC SB Outdoorsman 4x4 CTD
    Michelin 295/70R18
    Fold-A-Cover G4 tonneau,
    Dee Zee truck bed mat,
    Dee Zee tailgate assist,
    Dodge Ram 4x4 Steering Gear Box Brace
    Fumoto oil drain valve,
    Husky floor liners,
    WeatherTech No Drill Mud Flaps,
    Firestone Ride-Rite Suspension Kit
    Reece Pro Series 20K lb 5th wheel hitch

2018 Solitude 375res
    8K lb axles, springs & hubs with Nev-R-Lube bearings
    MORryde HD shackle kit with brass bushings & wet bolts
    Reece Sidewinder 19K lb pin box.

Mentioned
    229 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can always let the sliding hitch attached to the pinbox and use the landing gear to do the heavy lifting.

Works great, and easy to put back in when needing the hitch again.
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I had one on my old fifth, with the 6.5 box truck in my signature. Because I was pushing the payload I had to be very careful about weight, so sliders were out. Note that B&W does not allow use of these with their hitches. I went with a Reese hitch, which easily comes apart into two pieces, making taking it out pretty easy. (shameless plug: Hitch is for sale, check the "for sale" listings here). It was great! As the ruts in my front yard will attest, I could easily jack the fifth to be 90 deg. to the truck. Trailer towed wonderfully, backing was even a slight bit easier due to the rearward pivot point. Because the pin box can rotate, when hitching it is critical that you back in directly in line with the pin box, which may not be straight on to the trailer. That usually meant trying to make sure trailer and truck were straight before unhitching, to make backing in to hitch up again later easier. Early on, I backed in at an angle, because the pin box was slightly angled. Had my tailgate down. The corner of the tailgate hit the front of the fifth before the hitch engaged. Learned fiberglass repair from that. Got into a routine of backing in just far enough to close the tailgate, before finishing the backing. You can pin the pivot point, to allow it to be used as a conventional pin box. My dealer did this so they could move it around their lot with their tractor. But make sure that is undone before you hitch up again - the dealer forgot, and I didn't check. The result was no way for the trailer to pivot. My tow home destroyed the Revolution and the Hitch. Dealer had to pay to replace both, as well as pay a frame shop to double check that there was no other damage to the truck or trailer. The wedge used to prevent pivoting at the hitch needs to be fitted carefully, it has to have no play, but if too tight can make it difficult to hitch or release. But, once adjusted properly, all works very smoothly. Reese makes specific wedges for specific hitches, which I would recommend, rather than using their generic version. Would I do it again? Yes, with no reservations.
    2017 Imagine 2670MK
    2012 F-150 SCrew, Eco, 4x4 6.5 box
    Max. Tow, HD Payload, Airbags, ProPride hitch
    (Previous: Jayco 26.5RLS Fifth, Revolution Pinbox)

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for your responses. Always good to hear others experiences. Sande005 your misfortune and new found talent for fibreglass repair was very informative so I thank you for those tips on hooking up.
    Didn't realize I needed to join up to the site so I think that's why my initial post was moved but I became an official member today so am hoping to hear from more of you.
    Thanks again