User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

July in Southern Colorado, where to?

Would like to spend several days in Southern Colorado. Anyone have suggestions for a extended camp of maybe a week?

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Durango: train ride; drive the $M highway; San Juan scenic drive; shopping:

Cortez: Mesa Verde; various Anasazi ruins; 4 corners

Delores: Mesa Verde; various Anasazi ruins; relax
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Which part? East is kind of barren. West - like Durango, is wonderful. Pagosa Springs has great camping, fishing, hiking and hot springs. Durango has the narrow gage steam train. If you take this do the one way up and bus back. Make reservations now -- ii may already be to late. The four corners area is OK for sight-seeing -- it is a desert all around it.

A rolling stone....we're in Tucson, Az. now.
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ouray, Silverton, Durango on the Million Dollar Hwy. A say trip to Telluride is also well worth it! Silverton has a nice RV park if you're coming in from Durango. I would not suggest going to Silverton from Ouray with a trailer. As a matter of fact, I'll take that a step further and recommend against taking that route with any size of trailer.
    SOLD my 2017 Momentum 376TH being pulled by a 2014 Ford F-350 Lariat, FX-4, Crew Cab, Longbed, Dually. Not pulling the 5er, catch me on my 2013 CVO Harley Ultra Classic.

Map = states that we've stayed at least one night in our RV.

http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/AR...TNTXUTWYsm.jpg

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My daughter and SIL live in Alamosa.
    Great Sand Dunes Nat'l Park is neat but stay off the dunes in the afternoon (the sand gets INCREDIBLY hot).
    In the middle of nowhere about 20 miles north of Alamosa is a hot spring fed swimming pool that has an RV park (disclaimer - I have never stayed there). The pool is nice and the scenery better.
    The Stations of the Cross in San Luis is interesting.
    The Cumbres and Toltec Scenic Railroad in Antonito.
    Jay & Alice
    2015 303RLS #711
    2007 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Diesel Crewcab
    Bedford, Indiana

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will second the comment on staying away from the Ouray- Silverton drive. Day trip only. NO RV's!!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For those not familiar with the drive from Ouray to Silverton this stretch of road is breathtakingly beautiful but unbelievably dangerous in places. Colorado does not believe in guard rails and in some places there is no room for guard rails!! The white line at the edge of the road is three inches from a straight down plunge hundreds of feet!!! You won't believe it. How it got the name of Million Dollar Highway is rather interesting and some different opinions float around. I like the one where some people who have traveled it will say "I would not travel this road for a million dollars." Some people pull 5th wheel RV's across to Silverton with great caution. There is only a few places that are extremely dangerous but the overall experience makes it worthwhile. We stayed in a really nice RV park near Montrose and made it our base camp for a week of sightseeing and driving all the beautiful roads to Durango, Silverton and Telluride. It worked very well and I was not pulling anything. Just drive slow, take your time and don't let anyone crowd you into driving too fast in the scary spots. I was drawn to this highway like a moth to a fire. We drove over the million dollar highway three times. What a rush!! Go on youtube, there are several nice videos of this drive. It's a must see if in the area.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Montrose is centrally located to allow day trips to Silverton/Durango, Black Canyon of the Gunnison, Colorado National Monument, and Telluride.
    2022 Reflection150 226RK
    2022 F150 Powerboost hybrid with 3.5L Ecoboost

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with likes to tow. I love driving that road. But I am also very comfortable with my equipment and my ability to stop or pull whatever is needed. I know 2 of my sisters would die if that even looked at the pictures of that road. So to me it depends upon your comfort level. JHMO
    Robert/Sandy/Lily (mini Yorkie)
    2015 Grand Design 313RLTS
    2008 Dodge 2500 Cummins (modified)
    Past units: 85 Holiday Rambler TT, 88 Jayco 5th wheel, 91 Avion 5th wheel, 94 Hitchhiker 5th wheel, 2000 Discovery motorhome, 2001 Mountain Aire motorhome, 2005 42' Travel Supreme motorhome, 2014 Outback TT

http://i.imgur.com/cie9h38.jpg

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Likes to tow View Post
    For those not familiar with the drive from Ouray to Silverton this stretch of road is breathtakingly beautiful but unbelievably dangerous in places. Colorado does not believe in guard rails and in some places there is no room for guard rails!! The white line at the edge of the road is three inches from a straight down plunge hundreds of feet!!! You won't believe it. How it got the name of Million Dollar Highway is rather interesting and some different opinions float around. I like the one where some people who have traveled it will say "I would not travel this road for a million dollars." Some people pull 5th wheel RV's across to Silverton with great caution. There is only a few places that are extremely dangerous but the overall experience makes it worthwhile. We stayed in a really nice RV park near Montrose and made it our base camp for a week of sightseeing and driving all the beautiful roads to Durango, Silverton and Telluride. It worked very well and I was not pulling anything. Just drive slow, take your time and don't let anyone crowd you into driving too fast in the scary spots. I was drawn to this highway like a moth to a fire. We drove over the million dollar highway three times. What a rush!! Go on youtube, there are several nice videos of this drive. It's a must see if in the area.
    You don’t want to tow the Million Dollar Highway. It is beautiful country. My aunt lived in the next town west of Ouray; she always said that there were no guardrails because they would just slide down the mountain. Her story on the Million Dollar Highway was that either it cost a million dollars to build or that they towed a million dollars in silver over the road. Telluride (aka to ell you ride) is an interesting town, but has lost some of the charm it had in the mid 1960s.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Kay & Dave - Virginia Beach, VA
    Golden Retriever Molly - Been swimming in 28 states
    2019 Solitude 310GK
    2019 GMC Denali CC/LB SRW
    Previous rig: 2014 Reflection 303RLS #314 and 2008 Silverado 2500 D/A

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast