Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    When camping in weather that cold, do you use a block heater for your truck?
    Resistance is Not Futile, It's Voltage Divided by Current.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveMatthewsBand View Post
    Have the past few nights after I finally remembered where I put the extension cord.
    It's plugged up right now, mainly because I have to head out first thing this morning to try and finally get some laundry done. That's been the real challenge coming across South Dakota, finding someplace to do that!
    Chris and Karen - currently on the coast of the Olympic Peninsula

Roaming the country full time with our 2018 312BHTS Reflection behind a 2016 Ram 3500 6.7 Cummins and two preschoolers who are highly addicted to camping.

Follow our adventures @brownsignjunkies

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    15 deg is nothing - no need for the block heater, unless you already have a battery that is on its way out, or you are using straight 30w oil. In my gas truck, I have one, and in 6 years it has never been plugged in, despite many -25 degree (or colder) days here in Minn. Now, a diesel might be different, but 15 still seems pretty warm for needing one. Heck, that is where we decide whether we need to put on a jacket or not weather here!
    2017 Imagine 2670MK
    2012 F-150 SCrew, Eco, 4x4 6.5 box
    Max. Tow, HD Payload, Airbags, ProPride hitch
    (Previous: Jayco 26.5RLS Fifth, Revolution Pinbox)

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When we set up for the winter I run a line for the block heater. When we are just moving around in cold I don't.

I believe it just reduces the stress of moving cold metal around. Kind of like changing the oil, if you don't do it you won't notice any trouble for a long time.

I did have the truck get too cold to start. I finally got it started by running the glow plugs 3 times, turn key on and observe the glow plug light, turn key off, repeat. The process warms the cylinders/fuel up enough it will crank.
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sande005 View Post
    15 deg is nothing...but 15 still seems pretty warm for needing one. Heck, that is where we decide whether we need to put on a jacket or not weather here!
    That's hilarious! Here in Texas, if it drops below 60, we're in jackets!
    Resistance is Not Futile, It's Voltage Divided by Current.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's hilarious! Here in Texas, if it drops below 60, we're in jackets!
    So true but I also remember what my northern relatives looked like (not good) when they visited in late summer when I was living in the Mojave Desert. Guess it's all what you get used to.
    Steve and Peggy
    Based in beautiful East Tennessee
    2016 Reflection 337RLS
    2017 Ram 3500 CCSB 4x4 CTD

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sande005 View Post
    15 deg is nothing - no need for the block heater, unless you already have a battery that is on its way out, or you are using straight 30w oil. In my gas truck, I have one, and in 6 years it has never been plugged in, despite many -25 degree (or colder) days here in Minn. Now, a diesel might be different, but 15 still seems pretty warm for needing one. Heck, that is where we decide whether we need to put on a jacket or not weather here!
    It is a diesel. The biggest thing I plug it up for is so the heat inside the truck works faster at that temp! Plus I had the extension cord, power was paid for with the site fee, so I enjoyed the truck being warm quicker in the morning when it was cold and snowing to finally go and get some laundry done.
    Chris and Karen - currently on the coast of the Olympic Peninsula

Roaming the country full time with our 2018 312BHTS Reflection behind a 2016 Ram 3500 6.7 Cummins and two preschoolers who are highly addicted to camping.

Follow our adventures @brownsignjunkies

We Have a Great Site Team WhittleBurner's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Diesel fuel will start to crystallize at 32 and start to gel and clog tank and fuel filters at 10 to 15 degrees. A good idea to plug a diesel in when the temps drop.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WhittleBurner View Post
    Diesel fuel will start to crystallize at 32 and start to gel and clog tank and fuel filters at 10 to 15 degrees. A good idea to plug a diesel in when the temps drop.
    Gary - when the block heater is plugged in, how does that then warm up the fuel tank/filters to address the crystallizing and gelling issues ?.......I thought just the engine block was heated when plugged in.

Dan
    Dan & Carol
    2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
    2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD
    2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WhittleBurner View Post
    Diesel fuel is winterized before delivery to the gas stations in the winter months.

Wikipedia :
    Winter diesel fuel (also known as winter diesel or winterized diesel (AE)) refers to diesel fuel enhanced to prevent it from gelling in cold weather conditions. In general it is achieved by treatment with additives that change the low temperature characteristics of the fuel.

LINK
    Backpacker and tent camper all my life, including BSA as a kid and adult.
    Motorcycle trips across the USA with a tent - 1978 to Present.
    02-10-2005 - 2002 F350 SWD PSD and 2003 Citation 10'8S mostly for Crater Lake Ski Patrol.
    10-29-2015 - 2016 Grand Design 380TH. It's HUGE compared to a camper.
    10-19-2018 - traded truck for a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie CC 4 X 4 Long Box.
    03-16-2019 - Traded Momentum for a New 2018 374TH-R Solitude
    FULL TIME RV'er Nov 2021

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast