Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by orbiker View Post
    Diesel fuel is winterized before delivery to the gas stations in the winter months.

Wikipedia :
    Winter diesel fuel (also known as winter diesel or winterized diesel (AE)) refers to diesel fuel enhanced to prevent it from gelling in cold weather conditions. In general it is achieved by treatment with additives that change the low temperature characteristics of the fuel.

LINK
    It's not always cut and dry when it comes the winter additives, this southern boy had to find out which pump to use for sure when I ran across this in South Dakota the other day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Chris and Karen - currently on the coast of the Olympic Peninsula

Roaming the country full time with our 2018 312BHTS Reflection behind a 2016 Ram 3500 6.7 Cummins and two preschoolers who are highly addicted to camping.

Follow our adventures @brownsignjunkies

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lizardqing View Post
    It's not always cut and dry when it comes the winter additives, this southern boy had to find out which pump to use for sure when I ran across this in South Dakota the other day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    That's a lot of choices. I'm guessing the #1 is 100% bio-diesel. I like to run B-20 (20% bio-diesel). It can be 20 cents cheaper.

Here is a bit of info on Bio-Diesel.

Biodiesel is a renewable, clean-burning diesel replacement that is reducing U.S. dependence on foreign petroleum, creating jobs and improving the environment. Made from a diverse mix of feedstocks including recycled cooking oil, soybean oil, and animal fats, it is the first and only EPA-designated Advanced Biofuel in commercial-scale production across the country and the first to reach 1 billion gallons of annual production. Meeting strict technical fuel quality and engine performance specifications, it can be used in existing diesel engines without modification and is covered by all major engine manufacturers’ warranties, most often in blends of up to 5 percent or 20 percent biodiesel. It is produced at plants in nearly every state in the country.
    Backpacker and tent camper all my life, including BSA as a kid and adult.
    Motorcycle trips across the USA with a tent - 1978 to Present.
    02-10-2005 - 2002 F350 SWD PSD and 2003 Citation 10'8S mostly for Crater Lake Ski Patrol.
    10-29-2015 - 2016 Grand Design 380TH. It's HUGE compared to a camper.
    10-19-2018 - traded truck for a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie CC 4 X 4 Long Box.
    03-16-2019 - Traded Momentum for a New 2018 374TH-R Solitude
    FULL TIME RV'er Nov 2021

We Have a Great Site Team WhittleBurner's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Toes in the water View Post
    Gary - when the block heater is plugged in, how does that then warm up the fuel tank/filters to address the crystallizing and gelling issues ?.......I thought just the engine block was heated when plugged in.

Dan
    Dan the block heater wouldn't do anything for the fuel but when the truck starts it will run smoother and more efficient because of the warm block. There is a difference in winter fuel from summer fuel it is blended for the cold. Having the engine run as smooth as possible when you first start it goes a long way in keeping it healthy. If your'e in sub zero weather for long periods you can get a heated dipstick that would help. There's also covers to go over the grill area to help keep the engine warm that come off easily if you start to get too hot. The gelling issue is why you hear the semis always running even when parked.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WhittleBurner View Post
    Dan the block heater wouldn't do anything for the fuel but when the truck starts it will run smoother and more efficient because of the warm block. There is a difference in winter fuel from summer fuel it is blended for the cold. Having the engine run as smooth as possible when you first start it goes a long way in keeping it healthy. If your'e in sub zero weather for long periods you can get a heated dipstick that would help. There's also covers to go over the grill area to help keep the engine warm that come off easily if you start to get too hot. The gelling issue is why you hear the semis always running even when parked.
    Gary - yes all too familiar with the cold weather blends in the northern climates during late fall/winter/early spring months, radiator cover (got one), etc. I was just curious how the block heater would do anything other than warm up the block. Our P/U lives in our insulated garage so rarely does the temp drop more than 30 degrees as compared with outside temps. Have plugged in a few times while in the garage (only once was it outside around 0 degrees) when we had days way below zero and yes, being warmed up is nice.

Dan
    Dan & Carol
    2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
    2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD
    2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    * Moved to "Campgrounds and Destinations" section of the forum.

Jim - Moderator

We Have a Great Site Team WhittleBurner's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Toes in the water View Post
    Gary - yes all too familiar with the cold weather blends in the northern climates during late fall/winter/early spring months, radiator cover (got one), etc. I was just curious how the block heater would do anything other than warm up the block. Our P/U lives in our insulated garage so rarely does the temp drop more than 30 degrees as compared with outside temps. Have plugged in a few times while in the garage (only once was it outside around 0 degrees) when we had days way below zero and yes, being warmed up is nice.

Dan
    Being in the garage at 30 I wouldn't plug it in either. At home in Mich. in the teens or below I could tell the difference between those times being plugged in and when I would forget to plug in. Those times not plugged in it would help to cycle through a few times with the key without starting to help the glow plugs to help out some.
    B
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Outstanding

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234