Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tow Vehicle Question

Picked up my Transcend 27BHS today. This is my first travel trailer so no experience with what it should "feel" like while towing. I have a 2016 Toyota Tundra Crewmax 5.7l V8. On the way back from the dealership, I experienced a lot of "bucking" when the trailer would hit bumps, swaying (to be fair there were 20mph winds), and the truck just seemed "flat". They installed a Equal-i-zer Weight Distribution System with 4-Point Sway Control and the truck/trailer were level. Do I just have too much trailer? I talked to multiple people prior to buying it and got the same answer that I would be fine.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the forum and to RV'ing. It is a learning experience to say the least.

Setting up a WDH is as much art as science and most dealers don't have a clue. My guess is that the setup of your hitch could be improved and the truck handling will be much improved.

I'd suggest you search this forum for WDH and weight distributing hitch and spend some time reading posts on this subject - this is not the kind of thing that can be explained in 25 words or less. Also review the hitch instructions (and forget everything the dealer told you <G>).
    John and Jean
    Springer Spaniel furkids Mea and (the late) Molly
    Blogs - BataanMissing.com - AirSafety.info
    2017 Ford F-350 6.7L CC SB, Andersen Ultimate Hitch.
    2018 Reflection 337RLS fifth wheel.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If after you adjust the WD hitch as well as possible, you may want to consider adding air bags to rear suspension. There are also other alternatives to air bags. If your truck has passenger tires on it by chance, you will want to get light truck (LT) tires, preferably “E” rated 10 ply. These things will make your ride firmer and handle the weight better, reducing the chucking and sway.

You should have 10-12% tongue weight compared to overall trailer weight. Sometimes chucking will occur when your tongue weight is too low. This could attribute to sway also.
    Steve & Sue (pups:Sky & Sierra) Gardnerville, Nv
    2017 Refelection 297RSTS
    2017 Ford 350 CC 4x4 Lariat Superduty 6.7, Long Bed

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As stated before E rated tires will help some (if you don't already have them.) When I experienced similiar issues towing an Imagine with my 1500 Ram Ecodiesel, the tires helped but what really solved the issue was changing to a ProPride P3 WDH. They are pricey but much cheaper than a new truck and never a wiggle towing with it (about 6,000 miles last summer and fall.) Now I have a Ram 3500 and a Reflection fifth wheel on order (wanted extra space!) so I know longer need the hitch. If interested I could save you some money. Shipping would be expensive though so pick up in central Illinois would be best if you are reasonably close.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    IMHO, airbags should not be needed with a properly sized tow vehicle and a WDH that has been set up correctly. Dealers are notorious for sending a new trailer out the door without tweaking the WDH. When I picked up our previous Surveyor bumper pull trailer from the dealer on 2008, the dealer techs had only replaced 60 lbs of weight back to the front TV axle out of a “lost” 300 lbs. After adjusting the WDH myself, I got the trailer to pull great.

Mentioned
    240 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Load it up and then try to figure it out.

Empty does nothing for you in the real world.
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by huntr70 View Post
    Load it up and then try to figure it out.

Empty does nothing for you in the real world.
    Exactly. You could very well be low on tongue weight. That will cause some sway and also the jerking. After loading up you may need to readjust the WDH.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If the truck and trailer are rocking up and down at each bridge end or other bump or dip, check the weight rating of the hitch bars compared to the actual trailer hitch weight plus weight of anything in the pickup bed behind the axle. Too light of bar rating will cause the rocking up and down effect instead of both units bouncing together as one because the bars are not heavy enough. Air bags really are not for trailer WD hitches, more for added weight of 5th wheel set ups. They make it a bit difficult to set up the hitch for one thing, and when a wd hitch is set up right the weight is returned to the front of the tow rig and some to the trailer axles making the bags unnecessary.
    2019 GMC 3500 HD:)
    2016 Reflection 313RLTS:cool:

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob/OlallaWA View Post
    If the truck and trailer are rocking up and down at each bridge end or other bump or dip, check the weight rating of the hitch bars compared to the actual trailer hitch weight plus weight of anything in the pickup bed behind the axle. Too light of bar rating will cause the rocking up and down effect instead of both units bouncing together as one because the bars are not heavy enough. Air bags really are not for trailer WD hitches, more for added weight of 5th wheel set ups. They make it a bit difficult to set up the hitch for one thing, and when a wd hitch is set up right the weight is returned to the front of the tow rig and some to the trailer axles making the bags unnecessary.
    Bob, your correct about what the WD hitch does, but IMHO the airbags add stability to the rear end of the truck, reducing chucking and helping during turns with added stability. They were wonderful on my F150; and I’m glad I have them on my F250, though I may not need them as much. The Fords tend to sag without much weight to begin with.

Airbags aren’t for everyone, and there are other options such as Timbrens, etc, but they work well for me in combination with my Blue Ox. Just something to consider after getting the hitch squared away.
    Steve & Sue (pups:Sky & Sierra) Gardnerville, Nv
    2017 Refelection 297RSTS
    2017 Ford 350 CC 4x4 Lariat Superduty 6.7, Long Bed

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthTX View Post
    Welcome to the forum and to RV'ing. It is a learning experience to say the least.

Setting up a WDH is as much art as science and most dealers don't have a clue. My guess is that the setup of your hitch could be improved and the truck handling will be much improved.

I'd suggest you search this forum for WDH and weight distributing hitch and spend some time reading posts on this subject - this is not the kind of thing that can be explained in 25 words or less. Also review the hitch instructions (and forget everything the dealer told you <G>).
    True-that, John!.....Jsauers can get on-line and see instructions on Youtube. Very helpful info on WDH. The equalizer hitch is excellent, but needs to be installed properly.
    Magnum
    Keith & Patsy Staudt & Buttercup (pet dog)
    "Back 9 Adventures"
    Bridge City, Texas

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast