Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can’t Unhitch Reflection 27RL from Andersen Ultimate

This past weekend our 2017 27RL was ready for pickup about 4 hours away. Because I just got out of the hospital a friend rode with my wife to get it and bring it to the house. As my friend backed into the drive I discovered that even with the hitch ball on the tailgate side and the kingpin/socket in the forward position I can’t make a 90 degree turn with the rig (don’t ask).

After admiring the rig for a few days I went to free the truck and that’s when I realized I have a problem that i’m hoping you can help me with. My driveway slopes slightly from the house down to the street so the trailer is slightly higher than the truck, maybe 1-1.5’ difference from back of 5W to back of truck. I chocked the wheels, released the Andersen latch and started lowering the front landing gear. Imagine my surprise when I looked up and saw the FW trying to lift the truck rather than separate. I quickly retracted the landing gear. I played with different landing gear configurations but no dice.

My current situation - truck is at a roughly 5 degree angle to the FW, the landing gear control reads Tilt -1.34, Angle +.06. I welcome any thoughts or suggestions. I’m selling my car Monday so kind of need the truck. Thanks
    Michael & Marlene
    Silver Spring/Piney Point, Maryland

2014 F150 EcoBoost 4x4 Crewcab with Max Tow & Heavy Payload packages
    2017 Reflection 27RL (picking up 3/10/2018)

Site Sponsor Gold Country Livin''s Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You likely have tension on the ball due to slope. Block wheel good and preferably with two people, slowly drive truck forward or back while dropping front legs . I'm talking like 1/2" to 1". I am assuming that nothing is broke on hitch. You can also sometimes shake or rock by the bed while under tension. Not an uncommon issue when not real level.

Since street is lower, you will likely be backing truck to release tension. Maybe!
    But chock wheels good. Stabilize trailer first.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Michael - many folks figure that they can “get by” with a fixed location hitch, only to to find (as you have) that a slider is the only sure way to avoid contact. It sounds like you may have something bent in the hitch mechanism. You might want to move to a perfectly level parking lot somewhere to disconnect and figure out what is going on, before re-hitching and then trying to accomplish this on your driveway slope . . . although, the slope you describe should not create a problem for a properly functioning hitch.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are you sure that dropping the Front jacks that it’s really lifting the truck bed when Front jacks are dropped?

My 337 connected to my F350 causes the truck to squat a full 3”. When I lowering Front jacks to unhitch, my truck bed rises a full 3” BEFORE the coupler rises above the Andersen Ball. So it appears that the trailer is pulling the truck bed up.

If you are on an incline be sure your trailer is safely and very securely chocked
    Jerry & Linda
    Emma & Abby our Mini Golden Doodles & JR our Amazon Parrot
    2017 Reflection 337RLS, Build Date 01/2017, Titan Disk Brakes, Goodyear G614s 235/85/16 G Rated tires
    2022 F-450 King Ranch Ultimate, 4,868 lb Payload, Bedrug Bedliner, Andersen Ultimate II Aluminum 5th wheel hitch
    http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/FLGANCSCsm.jpg

Site Sponsor Gold Country Livin''s Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Michael, Jerryr is right. My 3/4T also lifts about 3" when unhooking so we need to clarify that this is not what you are talking about. It needs to raise 3" and then start the uncoupling process, the separation from the truck. My situation at home was exactly the opposite that you have, with the yard side 1-2' lower than street side. I solved it my eventually building up a gravel pad with short retaining wall because my slope was excessive. What I found out was that the LCI system had a maximum 5 degree slope from front to back allowance before the system would get an error message. I could not get the trailer off the truck. You either raise the trailer or lower the truck side (in my case). Yours would be opposite.

The difference in the Andersen, is that the trailer has to come up much higher vertically to release from the ball, unlike a traditional hitch that releases horizontally. This to some, is one of its drawbacks. Think of the hitch like a pull trailer as you crank it up. There is sometimes horizontal force on the ball and as you raise it up, sometimes it will "pop" or jump up as it releases. The pop or jolt tells you that it was not perfectly aligned and or was under some tension or torque when it released.

With regards to your possible problem, assuming it is slope caused, I have absolutely had this happen to me and now I know what it is and how to resolve it.

1. You said that the pin release handle did release. I have seen where it would not pull out due to ball tension and or slope issue, so that's a good thing. If you find that you cannot release the handle sometimes, the procedure is the same and take the lateral force off the coupler first. The handle release should be smooth and easy.
    2. Securely block / chock the trailer wheels first.
    3. With the front legs extended at around 3" +- (after it touches ground), as you lift the trailer from the Ground Control panel and are watching it, you should see separation from the coupler while at the same time, the truck should stop lifting. The truck bed fender should have stopped raising from the tire. This is where you might be seeing the problem.
    4. If the truck does not "separate" from the coupler, this is where you need to fudge on the pressure side of the hitch ball. I am making some assumptions here but has happened before.
    5. Depending on what's happening or which side the pressure in from, either back up slightly, or put truck in neutral and "coast" downhill an inch. We are talking fractions here, so the slightest change in direction would likely pop it.

This is a whole lot of talking here about a simple situation, assuming this is your problem. The bottom line is that you need to get it more level and or trailer well secured and chocked for safety. I guarantee that the rest is easy. Some traditional fifth wheel hitches are said to be finicky when aligning and backing into or out from. The Andersen can be also finicky when releasing from a vertical aspect.

Please get back online and let us know what happened?
    2016 GMC 2500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
    2017 Reflection 303 RLS #13156 3/2017
    B & W turnover ball with Andersen Ultimate
    Disc Brakes
    TireTraker TT-505 tpms

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello,
    Couldn't you place a 2x6 behind each front truck tire and back up on them to raise the front of the truck 1.5" or so and make it more level?

Regards,
    Kevin
    2015 Ram Laramie 3500 4x4 LB Dually Crew Cab
    6.7L I6 Cummins Turbo Diesel Engine 5th wheel Prep
    68RFE Transmission Auto Level Rear Air Suspension 3.73 gears

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It was an imagined problem

as Is often true the most obvious solution turned out to be the right one. I didn’t raise th FW enough to clear the hitch. When I let the front landing gear go the truck suspension lifted 3-4 inches before starting to rise above the Andersen hitch. I suppose an excess of caution can create difficulties just like a lack of it sometime does

Thanks very much for the great advice and support.
    Michael & Marlene
    Silver Spring/Piney Point, Maryland

2014 F150 EcoBoost 4x4 Crewcab with Max Tow & Heavy Payload packages
    2017 Reflection 27RL (picking up 3/10/2018)

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Michael,

Thanks for reporting back. It’s good news. Also wish you a quick recovery after your hospital visit.

Jerry
    Jerry & Linda
    Emma & Abby our Mini Golden Doodles & JR our Amazon Parrot
    2017 Reflection 337RLS, Build Date 01/2017, Titan Disk Brakes, Goodyear G614s 235/85/16 G Rated tires
    2022 F-450 King Ranch Ultimate, 4,868 lb Payload, Bedrug Bedliner, Andersen Ultimate II Aluminum 5th wheel hitch
    http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/FLGANCSCsm.jpg

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,
    I am experiencing a somewhat similar problem.... that maybe someone here can offer advice:
    Have a Ram 2500 diesel 2015, grand design 230rl fifth wheel and the Anderson Ultimate hitch.

At a site and am unable to level the camper from front to back enough. Currently tilted back. In order to release the Anderson hitch I had to lower the standard landing gear quite a bit, then raise the unit almost maximum in order to release the ball hitch. Then when I brought it back down it bottomed out before the unit is level.

Also at site I had to level from side to side with my drive up plastic ramps.

I cannot lower the Anderson hitch ball in my truck bed as then the trailer hits the truck bed sidewalks. The Ram diesel sits high as stock...

Thoughts?
    Thanks much for any insights
    Rob

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi all, I am new here. I just purchased a 29 RS and an Anderson Ultimate hitch. I don't have a truck yet (2500 Ram on order). I have no practical experience but I have a idea that could solve this out-of-level problem. The place I intend to camp at has a down slope for my truck and a slightly more level area for the 5th wheel. I am concerned that the truck being sloped down may prevent me from pulling the pin to release the trailer. I was thinking of pulling the pin that retains the trailer ball just before the truck starts down the slope. My thought was that the tongue weight (approximately 1500#) will hold the ball in place as I move another 8-10 feet into my site. Is there a hidden danger here? As a rookie I would appreciate comments from anyone with more experience.

Hobo

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast