Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hoboplayer View Post
    Hi all, I am new here. I just purchased a 29 RS and an Anderson Ultimate hitch. I don't have a truck yet (2500 Ram on order). I have no practical experience but I have a idea that could solve this out-of-level problem. The place I intend to camp at has a down slope for my truck and a slightly more level area for the 5th wheel. I am concerned that the truck being sloped down may prevent me from pulling the pin to release the trailer. I was thinking of pulling the pin that retains the trailer ball just before the truck starts down the slope. My thought was that the tongue weight (approximately 1500#) will hold the ball in place as I move another 8-10 feet into my site. Is there a hidden danger here? As a rookie I would appreciate comments from anyone with more experience.

Hobo
    I've never run in to that kind of problem with my AUH, but I wouldn't be worried about pulling the latch then moving even a considerable distance. Not that I've ever made such a dumb mistake (ahem), but I know of one fiver that was pulled for a couple of miles until the driver looked in the rearview mirror and noticed that the pin was not locked. There's enough pin weight that its not coming off in anything short of a major crash.
    John and Jean
    Springer Spaniel furkids Mea and (the late) Molly
    Blogs - BataanMissing.com - AirSafety.info
    2017 Ford F-350 6.7L CC SB, Andersen Ultimate Hitch.
    2018 Reflection 337RLS fifth wheel.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is another potentially knuckle head idea. What if I installed my Anderson hitch with a 3/4" spacer under the front of the hitch frame to give the hitch a slight tilt back. This would help to compensate for the slope under the truck?

Hobo

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hoboplayer View Post
    Here is another potentially knuckle head idea. What if I installed my Anderson hitch with a 3/4" spacer under the front of the hitch frame to give the hitch a slight tilt back. This would help to compensate for the slope under the truck?

Hobo
    I think it would take a pretty extreme slope to lock up the AUH and you'll be a test pilot when you start tweaking the installation. You might give Andersen CS a call and see what they say.
    John and Jean
    Springer Spaniel furkids Mea and (the late) Molly
    Blogs - BataanMissing.com - AirSafety.info
    2017 Ford F-350 6.7L CC SB, Andersen Ultimate Hitch.
    2018 Reflection 337RLS fifth wheel.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthTX View Post
    I've never run in to that kind of problem with my AUH, but I wouldn't be worried about pulling the latch then moving even a considerable distance. Not that I've ever made such a dumb mistake (ahem), but I know of one fiver that was pulled for a couple of miles until the driver looked in the rearview mirror and noticed that the pin was not locked. There's enough pin weight that its not coming off in anything short of a major crash.
    Yup. My Dad had an issue with a groove forming in the ball and the only logical reason was at some point he mistakenly hitched up with the pin in and didn't realize it. the pin ground a groove into the ball. So he wasn't secured at all when pulling and it didn't come off. Never did figure out when he did it so no idea how far he went.

As a shout out to Andersen, they replaced the ball under warranty even though it wasn't there fault. They have a fantastic customer service rep.
    2021 Solitude 375 RES-R
    2024 GMC Denali ultimate DRW

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Three Gs View Post
    Hi,
    I am experiencing a somewhat similar problem.... that maybe someone here can offer advice:
    Have a Ram 2500 diesel 2015, grand design 230rl fifth wheel and the Anderson Ultimate hitch.

At a site and am unable to level the camper from front to back enough. Currently tilted back. In order to release the Anderson hitch I had to lower the standard landing gear quite a bit, then raise the unit almost maximum in order to release the ball hitch. Then when I brought it back down it bottomed out before the unit is level.

Also at site I had to level from side to side with my drive up plastic ramps.

I cannot lower the Anderson hitch ball in my truck bed as then the trailer hits the truck bed sidewalks. The Ram diesel sits high as stock...

Thoughts?
    Thanks much for any insights
    Rob
    Rob, how did you resolve this? I have exactly the same issue.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Buster#1 View Post
    1- Use large pressure treated "block systems" underneath the landing gear. Constructed several sets of thicknesses for varying need(s). Put soft webbing handles on them.
    2- Typically only lower the pad to about the +/- max 8th hole with pin. - so use necessary blocks underneath to fill the gap to the ground as needed.

This sequence seems to give enough landing gear range to lift or lower the camper (to level position) as needed. It still must lift VERY high to get off the ball so be sure to block the camper tires well so camper does not roll backwards! The problem is that my stock, diesel Ram 2500 4x4 sits so high and the adapter (to accept the ball) for the andersen also adds height. However, the positive is that Ram and andersen system pull it so nice!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rv-landing-blocks.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	93.5 KB 
ID:	26853
    Rob
    230RL, Fifth Wheel, 2018 yr.
    Ram 2500 short bed, 4x4, Cummins Diesel, 2015 yr.
    Anderson Ultimate Hitch

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Buster#1 View Post
    1- Use large pressure treated "block systems" underneath the landing gear. Constructed several sets of thicknesses for varying need(s). Put soft webbing handles on them.
    2- Typically only lower the pad to about the +/- max 8th hole with pin. - so use necessary blocks underneath to fill the gap to the ground as needed.

This sequence seems to give enough landing gear range to lift or lower the camper (to level position) as needed. It still must lift VERY high to get off the ball so be sure to block the camper tires well so camper does not roll backwards! The problem is that my stock, diesel Ram 2500 4x4 sits so high and the adapter (to accept the ball) for the andersen also adds height. However, the positive is that Ram and andersen system pull it so nice!

Name:	rv-landing-blocks.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	93.5 KB 
ID:	26853

Name:	stacked blocks landing gear.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	94.9 KB 
ID:	26855
    Rob
    230RL, Fifth Wheel, 2018 yr.
    Ram 2500 short bed, 4x4, Cummins Diesel, 2015 yr.
    Anderson Ultimate Hitch

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12