User Tag List

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New GD Reflection 311BHS Owners

Just brought home our first ever camper. A new 311!

Brand new to camping. Feeling very green and overwhelmed with everything to learn. I requested membership to this forum to learn from you guys. I have a lot of questions.

My wife and 10 year old son are very excited !

Wish us luck! Our maiden voyage is coming right up !

2017 Reflection 311BHS
    2018 GMC 2500HD Denali Duramax

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very nice, let the loads of fun and some challenges along the way begin ! Great group of folks on this forum willing to help and learn from each other.

Dan
    Dan & Carol
    2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
    2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD
    2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you For the encouragement Dan. Have you done any boondocking with generators? I’m researching now. Leaning toward two Honda 3000w. What say you ?

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    congrats & welcome to the forum great rv enjoy happy camping

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congrats and welcome. We have GD Reflection 311BHS that we purchased in March of 2018. Love it. If you got the steps in the back bunk room, you'll find that you have a lot of extra storage under the steps. As soon as you can sign up and become a member that gives you the ability to search the forum for post about things you are thinking of doing, questions, and suggestions. Since we have the same unit I'll give you a brief overview of some of my previous post. DON"T believe the sticker for the master bedroom TV mount. Go to Home Depot/Lowes and get a package of 10-12 small magnets. Start on the right of the window and slide the magnets until they "stick" (top, bottom, and middle). Then start from the left (top, bottom and middle). Then from the top of the window, then the bottom of the window. Now you have an outline of the backer plate. For the outdoor kitchen (you're going to love it) we cook all of our bacon, fries, and most everything else on the outdoor kitchen. BUT go to Wal Mart and get a couple of plastic dish pans (one small, one medium) then use the outdoor shower connection to fill one with soapy water the other with rinse water to do dishes. The outdoor sink is just big enough to wash your hands not dishes (also saves on grey water). While at Wal Mart get several aluminum pans. They make great food prep work areas and finished food area. Fry that bacon and throw it on a tray. Then you can wash the tray or throw it away. Don't forget to stock your outdoor kitchen with cooking utensils. Get a Camco or Valterra RV Sewer Flushing Hydroflush Backflow Preventer (clear). Really helps in cleaning the black tank.

A couple of good sewer hoses, remember you have 2 black and grey tanks. Drinking water hose (I bought two 25ft hoses, then cut the second into a 10ft and 15ft sections) and a second hose to flush the tanks. Also, I didn't like the water flowing back into the tray below the fresh water intake and black water flush, so I bought two 3ft hoses (one drinking water approved), hook the short drinking water one and run it out of the tray before I hook up the drinking water hose. Then when I disconnect the water flows out of the tray. Do the same when flushing black tank (different hose).

Have a great time. You didn't say where you were located, but my girls love the Jellystone RV Parks due to the great kids activities and water parks.
    Les and Sharon Bevil
    Austin, Tx

Reflection 311BHS purchased March 2017
    Jayco 32BHDS sold March 2017
    2012 Chevrolet 2500HD 6.6 Diesel (until May 2018)
    2015 Chevrolet 3500HD 6.6 Diesel

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow. Thank you so much for all the intel !! I’m so new to this I keep reading your post over and over to grasp what you wrote !

One question, lots of hoses out there... any favorites ?

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not really and it depends where you are camping. If you're going to be in below freezing weather then you will need a heated fresh water hose (not to much of a need in Texas). I bought both of my fresh water hoses at Wal Mart. I tend to lean toward Camco products. I bought an expandable flexible water hose to clean the black tank, that way I can keep it in the "stinky" hose bin.

Another item that I bought and love is a 90 degree elbow that connects to the fresh water intake, for me it makes attaching/removing the fresh water hose easier. Again Wal Mart, get a few plastic bins with lids, most of us carry 2 sewer hoses. One goes in the tube that goes under the trailer and the other - expandable hose along with extra connectors - goes in a plastic bin that's put in the basement. The fresh water hose stored in another plastic bin.

As you get into this you'll gather more junk like clothes line, rope, tent stakes, leveling blocks, sockets and ratchet, channel locks, screw drivers, plastic tarp, and more. I bought a laundry type basket and just toss all that in there. Then when you need something you only have one basket to look through. Saves wear and tear on the head from bumping on the king pin or basement ceiling.

Enjoy the camper and the family and friends. As you go to different campgrounds you'll see different things that campers have. Don't be afraid to ask. There's nothing a RV owner loves more than showing off his/her knowledge and rig. I guess I just jumped into that one, by showing off here!
    Les and Sharon Bevil
    Austin, Tx

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You and I also have the same truck. How is it holding up pulling the 311? How much cargo weight have you added to the unloaded tow vehicle weight ?

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the Z71 4X4 package, so it has stronger set-up than a reqular 2500. We usually carry very little in the bed of the truck (grill, girls bikes and pop-up shade). Travel with full gas tank. In the trailer we don't carry any fresh water in the tanks, have a little water in the black water tanks and full refrigerator. Since we are not full timers - just weekend warriors - we don't have to carry a bunch of clothes and extra stuff. However the DW is continually adding more stuff to the trailer. All that being said, I do like the way the 2500HD tows the 5th wheel. I doesn't give me any problems with wind or passing or meeting big trucks and it handles extremely well in the city as well as on the road, plus gets good gas mileage. I did have the dreaded "leaky" axles and noticed a difference with the braking on our last couple of trips but the truck seemed to handle braking very well. I have considered moving up to a 3500, but I don't gain that much in tow weights and I hate the unhooked ride in a 3500. Plus I can't find a Z71 package in the 3500.

Now that we have had the 311 for a little over a year and have it loaded, I should take it back to the scales. Last time I did we had just gotten the 5th wheel. The TV has a towing weight of 16,200, the 5th wheel is probably between 12,000 and 12,500lbs loaded with a pin weight of nearly 2,200lbs. So with a payload capacity of nearly 2900lbs, we are getting close but not quite over the max. My son is a GMC mechanic, so the truck goes in for inspection quite a bit, he is thinking that this summer we'll replace the 2500HD leaf springs with the 3500HD lift springs which will give me over 5,000lbs payload capacity.

Hope I've answered your questions - probably more than you wanted to know - Long story short, I love the way the 2500HD handles and tows the 5th wheel and would hate to upgrade to a 3500 and gain just a few pounds and lose the better ride of the 2500HD.
    Last edited by AustexGP; 04-13-2018 at 06:56 AM. Reason: change wording
    Les and Sharon Bevil
    Austin, Tx