Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New to Grand Design and New 2018 Momentum 354M Toy Hauler

Hello!
    My wife and I purchased a 2018 Momentum 354M toy hauler, it is out first toy hauler and our first fifth wheel.
    We have owned 2 travel trailers, but this is our first fifth wheel. Our Momentum came with a goose neck adapter, so I had the gooseneck ball installed in my truck.
    Unfortunately, the guy that was assigned to give me the walkthrough and show me how everything worked had never shown a toy hauler before,
    so I was left with a lot ofquestions of how things work. I'm having difficulty figuring some things out and can't find much help in the owners manual.
    Things like "how can I run my garage AC off of my generator while going down the road".....I can get the front 2 AC's to run on the generator but i haven't figured out how to run JUST the garage AC.
    I can't even get the fan to turn on.
    Also, "why can't I get my heat to work off of the generator"......
    I've also tried googling and youtube-ing but haven't come up with much.
    If anyone has any links to "How To's" with this unit or any suggestions, it would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks in advance.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congrats and welcome!

Your Momentum probably has and EMS built-in (Energy Management System) that is helping to manage the loads in the trailer including the AC units. I take it the 3rd AC works on shore power so it may be that it wont allow the 3rd AC to be on during generator operation but not sure why not if the others are off. As far as the "Heat" (furnace) It should run on propane and 12v power so don't know why it wouldn't work with gen. If you are talking about the fireplace/heater it may be tied into the EMS also.

It is possible the EMS is over-riding what you want to do, but I don't know why. I rarely use my gen so I don't have experience with your variables.
    Jim (& Sharon)
    2015 GD Momentum 385TH - SOLD
    For Sale - 2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat w/ AirLift bags, Titan 65 gal. OEM replacement fuel tank.
    The toy:
    2017 RZR XP 1000 EPS SE

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JCR GD View Post
    Congrats and welcome!

Your Momentum probably has and EMS built-in (Energy Management System) that is helping to manage the loads in the trailer including the AC units. I take it the 3rd AC works on shore power so it may be that it wont allow the 3rd AC to be on during generator operation but not sure why not if the others are off. As far as the "Heat" (furnace) It should run on propane and 12v power so don't know why it wouldn't work with gen. If you are talking about the fireplace/heater it may be tied into the EMS also.

It is possible the EMS is over-riding what you want to do, but I don't know why. I rarely use my gen so I don't have experience with your variables.
    Thanks for the reply. It does have a EMS system (the one in my unit is called a Power Control System but same thing I think). I haven't quite figured out how it works, but I do know that if I turn EVERYTHING else in the unit off, including AC's, lights, fans, basically everything that needs power, and I turn on the garage AC with the generator running it will not come on.
    I did the same thing with the heat, and it didn't work either. However I could turn my fireplace on but that was the only heat source that I've been able to get to come on. I'm pretty sure everything works as it was working when it was plugged into 50 amp at the dealership.
    Our original plan was to have our dogs in the garage in secured crates while we are traveling, so we want to be able to run the air in there off of the generator. If we can't have the air on, we can't have the dogs in there.