Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New AUH delivered today

Should get new AUH today from Amazon. I have a 17 F350 with a Ford drop in bed liner. Will the new hitch mount on b&w gooseneck with the bed liner in place? Also, will the tv squat a lot when a Reflection 337 rls is connected, or will it be level enough. Thanks for your help.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had the corrugated drop in bed liner in my prior TV and there was no problem connecting to the B&W turnover ball. The AUH didn't mark the bedliner, but over a few days there would be just a little loss of torque on the bolt that may have been due to the bedliner. My current TV has a lineX bedliner and I've seen no wear or marking from the AUH.

FWIW, the instructions that came with my hitch directed that everything be torqued to 50 ft/lbs. I saw an Andersen video recently that said 60 ft/lbs and that's what I use, now.

My TV squats about 3 inches. The 2017+ superdutys are much taller than earlier models and I wasn't real comfortable with it. I first turned the adapter to the rear, then, after changing the rear axle blocks, I was able to turn it back to the front and gain a little more tailgate clearance. Here's a thread with all my measurements.
    https://www.mygrandrv.com/fo...0+hitch+height
    John and Jean
    Springer Spaniel furkids Mea and (the late) Molly
    Blogs - BataanMissing.com - AirSafety.info
    2017 Ford F-350 6.7L CC SB, Andersen Ultimate Hitch.
    2018 Reflection 337RLS fifth wheel.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the info John. I just unpacked the auh and it looks good. I called Anderson and they recommended removing the drop in bed liner or cutting a hole for the auh. I'm thinking I could put in a rubber mat under the hitch, and they said that would be fine. The placard on the hitch also recommends some kind of a lockout kit for a Trailair Rota-Flex Pin Box. I have no idea what kind of pin box comes on 337rls, so I guess I'll have to wait on that. I looked over your link on TV squat, good info, however I have 18" wheels and a 3 1/2" block. Guess I will use middle ball height when I hook up at the dealer for the first time. Thanks again.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom & Candy View Post
    Thanks for the info John. I just unpacked the auh and it looks good. I called Anderson and they recommended removing the drop in bed liner or cutting a hole for the auh. I'm thinking I could put in a rubber mat under the hitch, and they said that would be fine. The placard on the hitch also recommends some kind of a lockout kit for a Trailair Rota-Flex Pin Box. I have no idea what kind of pin box comes on 337rls, so I guess I'll have to wait on that. I looked over your link on TV squat, good info, however I have 18" wheels and a 3 1/2" block. Guess I will use middle ball height when I hook up at the dealer for the first time. Thanks again.
    I'd give it a try before I chopped a hole in the bed liner. Mine worked perfectly in my 16 F250 with the liner. Sounds like Andersen is just being conservative.

The stock 337 pinbox is just a straight - rigid - pinbox.

I think the new F350's are the same height regardless of wheel size - 59" to the top of the bed rails. Exactly, the same height as the overhang on my 337 when level. If you back up to the 337 and the bed rail won't go under the overhang, you'll know you have the same.

FWIW, on mine, it was the pinbox "wings" that nicked the plastic top of the tailgate. To get more clearance to the wings, you can install the adapter with the funnel aft of the kingpin. The only downside of this is limited tailgate clearance to the front of the fiver. Did I mention that there is a known problem with the 17+ super duty tailgates falling down? There's a Ford TSB on it. There is a connector on the pax side forward of the bumper and aft of the spare tire and this connector tends to fill with water. I filled mine with Boeshield T9 and wrapped it with silicon sealing tape. Supposedly, there is also a connector near the emer brake pedal that needs to be tywrapped in place to prevent this, but I haven't found it.
    John and Jean
    Springer Spaniel furkids Mea and (the late) Molly
    Blogs - BataanMissing.com - AirSafety.info
    2017 Ford F-350 6.7L CC SB, Andersen Ultimate Hitch.
    2018 Reflection 337RLS fifth wheel.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will give it a try on initial tryout with the liner in place. My bed rail is also 59". I will hook up initially with funnel forward and see how that works. By the way, what does that pax side connector due in the normal op of tailgate, and what has failed with the water infusion?
    Tom

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tom,

I have a 2017 F350 CCSB w/Andersen towing a 2017 337. Great combination.

I don’t have the Ford plastic Bedliner but I have a Bedrug Bedliner.

I have the Andersen coupler in the “reverse position”. That puts the tailgate closer to the trailer but it gives me clearance between the wings of the Lippert 1621 pin box and the truck’s side rails. I can get about 75 degrees of turn before any close contact from trailer cap to rear truck window.

Your 337 will not come with rota-flex. It will come with a standard Lippert 1621 pinbox.

Picture of where pinbox “Wings” come close to bedrails with coupler in standard position.

Picture of truck/trailer level without any modification. The truck squats 3” when 337 is hitched.

Picture of Andersen installed in my bed with a Bedrug Bedliner. I cut holes in my Andersen Ultimate hitch for ford pucks to attach safety chains. Andersen now has an adaptor that slips over the trucks goose ball that allows safety chains to connect.

Picture of max turn with trailer cap close to rear window.

Last edited by Jerryr; 04-09-2018 at 05:07 PM. Reason: Fix spelling
    Jerry & Linda
    Emma & Abby our Mini Golden Doodles & JR our Amazon Parrot
    2017 Reflection 337RLS, Build Date 01/2017, Titan Disk Brakes, Goodyear G614s 235/85/16 G Rated tires
    2022 F-450 King Ranch Ultimate, 4,868 lb Payload, Bedrug Bedliner, Andersen Ultimate II Aluminum 5th wheel hitch
    http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/FLGANCSCsm.jpg

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tom,

FYI,

I have 18” wheels with no modification to factory blocks.
    I have my Andersen ball in the center position.
    I have measured 7-1/2” clearance between the top of my bedrails and the trailer overhang.

I get flashed at night by oncoming cars due to 3” squat. With that squat the truck/trailer handles great and you don’t feel like the truck is nose high. The only time I tow at night is to take my trailer to/from home and storage facility.

As an side note: I had disc brakes installed on the 337 and it made an amazing difference in stopping ability and feeling safe. Got them from http;//stopyourtrailer.com Parts cost $1400 and local shop charged 600 labor to install.
    Jerry & Linda
    2017 Reflection 337RLS, Build Date 01/2017, Titan Disk Brakes, Goodyear G614s 235/85/16 G Rated tires
    2022 F-450 King Ranch Ultimate, 4,868 lb Payload, Bedrug Bedliner, Andersen Ultimate II Aluminum 5th wheel hitch

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the info Jerry. From the photos it looks like you had the hitch ball in the medium or high position. When you reversed the coupler did you also have to raise the ball?

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No. I had the Andersen ball in the middle or medium position both with the coupler in standard and reverse position. I never changed it.

The trailer looks perfectly level but if you measure the frame, it’s 1-1/2”higher in the front. That’s negligible.

Jerry & Linda

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jerry - Interesting pictures of your F350/Reflection/AUH combination. Those are some tight clearances on level ground! It seems that the AUH ball offset means that either the trailer cap will be close to the truck window or the pin box wings will be close to the box rails. I would be in real trouble trying to stay within those limits .

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast